Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > TC LUC issue ZF6Hp28 - Faultmate nr Mcr?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
GraemeC

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver
TC LUC issue ZF6Hp28 - Faultmate nr Mcr?

Long shot, but does anyone have access to a multi-vehicle Faultmate who could help me out with some live data logging?

Car is an 07 TDV8 with 6 speed ZF gearbox

Whilst i cannot find anyone who has had a lock up clutch problem on the ZF box, I have classic torque converter LUC failure symptoms - cattle grid judder at 60+ mph when on light throttle

An Indy I've used before test drove my car on Friday and thought it might be an injector problem, but a diagnostic did not show any errors (seems unlikely to me that an injector problem could cause these symptoms and not log an error)

A can of BG244 injector cleaner went in on Thu night and has now run through with no effect. I've checked and none of the calipers are binding.

What I want to do is log live data from the car. As per a post from RRPhil on RangeRovers.net, it is possible to monitor the LUC speed ratio, engine speed etc which would give me enough info to be 90%+ sure it's a LUC problem

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-range-r...-help.html

Any help appreciated! If I could do this with an IID tool then a purchase will be made immediately! 2007 Zermatt Silver TDV8 Vogue SE - now sold but was a great car!

Post #217873 21st Oct 2013 1:38pm
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

Have a look at my gearbox woes and check if your box has similar issues. Have you had your heat exchangers replaced yet and have you checked gearbox oil and coolant to see if they are not mixing ??

The first thing I noticed in gearbox behaviour was similar to the cattle grid feeling but very faint (I caught it very early I think). MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #217883 21st Oct 2013 2:34pm
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

ebajema,
Would I be right in saying that the ability to log live data from the transmission with the Faultmate disappeared for 2006MY onwards (i.e. for the 6-speed transmissions)?
Phil

Post #217899 21st Oct 2013 4:06pm
ebajema

Hi Phil, I remember looking for it but no option for live data monitoring (nor recording) came up. I used it for the engine a lot and that one got more elaborate in the latest version of the Faultmate software. There is some info related to the gearbox but not the sort of monitoring we were talking about last time. MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!

Post #217900 21st Oct 2013 4:11pm
GraemeC

Ah, that could be an issue!! (I've no idea why you'd want to remove live data logging but hey I'm not a manufacturer!)

Thanks for the input guys, looks like sump off, check condition of fluid and take it from there... 2007 Zermatt Silver TDV8 Vogue SE - now sold but was a great car!

Post #217902 21st Oct 2013 4:26pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Let us know if you need a hand JC i have some ramps you can borrow to make access easier and a nice strong trolley jack and some other bits Smile

I have a Faultmate and am close by but not MV im afraid. I couldn't stretch that much as i couldnt recoup the money like the Disco MV boys can Sad FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #217914 21st Oct 2013 5:15pm
SteveMFr
Site Sponsor

Re: TC LUC issue ZF6Hp28 - Faultmate nr Mcr?

GraemeC wrote:
Any help appreciated! If I could do this with an IID tool then a purchase will be made immediately!

Hi Graeme,
Yes, the IIDTool shows these values (of course it does! Razz )

The following values can be read:
Torque Converter, state: Closed, open or regulated
in addition of possible help in your situation
Transmission output shaft speed and Turbine speed (=input shaft speed)

Unfortunately the logging function is not finished yet. If your problem is still there in another 2-3 months give us a shout and we'll set you up with data logging (IIDTool BT only, tho).

Cheers,
Steve 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s
(wife thinks I'm nuts - prob right, too)

Post #218004 22nd Oct 2013 7:35am
ebajema

Graeme, the IID is cheaper anyway and if I understand it correctly, Steve and his team are working on getting the functionality to be on par with the Faultmate or better (correct Steve ??). MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!

Post #218006 22nd Oct 2013 8:18am
SteveMFr
Site Sponsor

Yes - and no Eugene.

The Faultmate was (and is) a great piece of kit, and while the IIDTool is not that far behind the MSV 2 in functionality, we are not simply going to follow BBS. Our goal is to provide amateur or even professional users with a tool that they can pick up and use without spending a great deal of time becoming an expert. We have some really neat things coming...

While we still require time to get to that point, logging will be available relatively soon. 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s

Post #218059 22nd Oct 2013 12:20pm
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

Steve,

If/when you do get to the point of offering data logging/recording for 02-05MY models would you be able to advise on what sets the data capture rate limit? The Faultmate can ‘only’ manage 1Hz which, unfortunately, is useless for monitoring what’s happening during (say) a gearshift. I don’t know if this rate is dictated by (Land Rover/BMW) limits elsewhere in the diagnostic system or if it’s a rate defined by BBS.

Regards,

Phil

Post #218064 22nd Oct 2013 1:08pm
ebajema

And here we see development that is customer driven, lets hope the hardware in the FFRR allows for that Smile

Look forward to the upgrades you have in store for us Steve. I am reasonably happy with the Faultmate, it usually does what I need it for (and that included flashing the engine management and transmission ECUs with the latest software) but your customer service is just better from my perspective and that is worth a lot to me and other people Smile

Read an article on Linkedin related to customer focussed thinking in Disney. It is clear, the better the customer service, the better the brand seems to do. Even bad news is accepted by the majority of customers, just as long as it is brought in a nice, open honest manner. Anyway, I'm digressing Smile

To come back to the original question, first some checking (ATF and coolant ??) and next some fault reading and logging if possible Smile

And Phil, if Gap can log data, then the Faultmate should also be able to log it, I mean the data seems to be available. I wonder if I overlooked something when I was trying to read/log the transmission data. MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!

Post #218095 22nd Oct 2013 4:20pm
GraemeC

Guys, thank you for all the replies

KP thanks for the offer, you are a gent! I am on holiday this week and SWIMBO would NOT be happy if I spent the rest of the week dismantling the RR on the drive, hence it was dropped of this morning at AJR Engineering in Oldham.

Phil, Eugene, Steve, thanks for the comments, all useful!

Steve, I sincerely hope my problem isn't still the in two months Big Cry but depending on how much this costs to fix, I will be purchasing an IID tool in the near future! 2007 Zermatt Silver TDV8 Vogue SE - now sold but was a great car!

Post #218123 22nd Oct 2013 7:33pm
SteveMFr
Site Sponsor

RRPhil wrote:
Steve,

If/when you do get to the point of offering data logging/recording for 02-05MY models would you be able to advise on what sets the data capture rate limit? The Faultmate can ‘only’ manage 1Hz which, unfortunately, is useless for monitoring what’s happening during (say) a gearshift. I don’t know if this rate is dictated by (Land Rover/BMW) limits elsewhere in the diagnostic system or if it’s a rate defined by BBS.

Regards,

Phil

Hi Phil,
Theoretically the maximum should be closer to 10 samples/sec for one logged value. Depending on the ECU, when we've been using the IIDTool itself for storage rather than a remote device (over bluetooth) we've been able to log around 40 samples/sec with multiple logged values.

Cheers,
Steve 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s

Post #218436 24th Oct 2013 8:39am
ebajema

Steve, just out of interest (and sorry for hi-jacking the post a bit)

If I understand it correctly, you can view real time data at a sample speed of max. 10 samples/sec (depending on the ECU) and if you store the data onto the IID and review it later you can get a sample speed of max. 40 samples/sec. ?? MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!

Post #218437 24th Oct 2013 9:05am
SteveMFr
Site Sponsor

Hi Eugene,
Not exactly - one value can be logged at ~10 samples/sec max and multiple values at ~40 samples/sec max depending on the ECU(s). But in our case bluetooth slows the connection so to achieve 40/sec we need to log on the IIDTool locally.

Cheers,
Steve 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s

Post #218443 24th Oct 2013 9:25am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>