Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > 2006–2009 Headlights & External LED/'Xenon' bulb upgrade
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 9 <123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

i just wonder if these 'wattage' claims are true and if they are doesnt the amperage make a difference ..

would a 60 watt smd would take less amps than a 21 watt incandescent bulb? ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO ฦŽ๊“•โˆ€๊“•O๊“ค PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #220848 5th Nov 2013 9:37am
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

Quote Prop - " did a bit of checking and the bulbs that Stan showed a video link to are made up of 12 SMD leds with 1 Q5 CREE forward firing led behind a lens. These cost ฃ35 a pair link below.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-CORSA-C...27d3b09a92

Now the first ones I linked to would appear to be exactly the same spec, ie 12 SMDs and 1 x Q5 CREE led behind a lens, which would lead me to believe they are almost certainly the same bulbs or at-least very similar. Only major difference is the price as these ones are ฃ20 a pair so are ฃ15 cheaper.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320777100341?ssP...1438.l2649 "

Question Are we saying proceed with caution on either of these two examples?

Post #220851 5th Nov 2013 9:43am
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

i think Prop is holding back due to the technical issues,
whereas i'm holding back due to the cost Mr. Green ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

Post #220857 5th Nov 2013 9:53am
Prop

United Kingdom 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320777100341?ssP...1438.l2649

This bulb should be perfectly safe as they actually take only 7watts according to the advert which would appear to be about right when you consider the bulb contains a single 5watt CREE and 12 SMD leds.

I have not bought yet as I am still in the middle of deciding what to do with my rear lights. ie do I just replace them with the 2012 clusters.

Post #220871 5th Nov 2013 10:35am
Prop

United Kingdom 

Stan, you can work out the current by using the formula below. So long as you know the wattage and the voltage you can work out the current draw. But needless to say, if the bulb uses more watts then it stands to reason it will be using more current unless they increase the voltage which would not really be possible as the whole car is running on 12volts

(current=wattage/voltage)

So a standard 21watt incandescent bulb would consume upto 1.75amps

The 30watt option would take 2.5amps which is an increase of 750mA

The 60watt option would take 5amps which is 3.25amps more.

The 7watt option would take 583mA which is 1.167amps less, however as this is a can-bus compatible bulb it will most likely use resisters inside the bulb itself to increase the current to closer to the standard 1.75amps to fool the cam-bus system into thinking the bulb is an incandescent bulb working correctly.

As to the claims for wattage ie is the bulb really 60watt, I would have to say yes it is as the 60watt bulb is made up of 12 x 5watt CREE leds and that equates to 60watts.

Last edited by Prop on 5th Nov 2013 10:52am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #220875 5th Nov 2013 10:48am
pld118

Re: 4-5K LED bulb advertised

Quote " Tried ordering a pair (ฃ3.50 UK delivery) but Sagepay system wouldn't work so have Emailed the seller. Full details on their below website:
http://www.hidorigin.com/blesk-t10-led-cool-white.html "

Idea Discounting any prospect of getting the above as no response since sending E-mail 2 days ago and just tried supplied telephone number which says 'this number does not exist' !

Post #220876 5th Nov 2013 10:49am
Prop

United Kingdom 

pld118, just go for these, I have them in my sidelights and they are very close to the HID colour of your headlights. And you have the peace of mind of knowing someone else has tried them. Also they are way brighter than the ones you just tried to order which in my opinion would be less bright than your current side light bulbs by a fair bit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181128879662?ssP...1438.l2649

Post #220878 5th Nov 2013 10:59am
pld118

@ Prop -

[Edit - I did send this following post without seeing you last btw... you can still answer the questions if you like though Mr. Green ]

Re these sidelight bulbs that you have been using as linked here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181128879662?ssP...1602730184

1. Are they UK road legal (if leaving the origina LR bi xenon headight bulb alone)?

2. Are they obviously brighter than the LR bi xenon headlight bulbs?

Apologies for the silly questions but your very technical knowledge on this is making it a 'challenge' for me to keep up Embarassed

3. Also noticed these bulbs that Advanced Factors have and whilst yours will be brighter, which of the 2 types will be whiter please (i.e with no yellow but less blue tint)?
http://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/13smd-t10...3837-p.asp

Thanks Thumbs Up

Post #220879 5th Nov 2013 11:06am
Prop

United Kingdom 

1. Are they UK road legal (if leaving the origina LR bi xenon headight bulb alone)? Not sure what the criteria would be for road legal, my understanding is that technically you are legally required to replace an incandescent with an incandescent bulb. So if you car ie front side light comes as standard fitted with a T10/501 5watt incandescent bulb then strictly speaking you should be only fitting the same wattage incandescent bulb. Will the alternative bulb pass an mot? it will so long as its not flickering or obviously the wrong colour which the bulb I mentioned is not.

2. Are they obviously brighter than the LR bi xenon headlight bulbs? Not sure I understand your question here, these are not headlight bulbs but sidelight bulbs so no they will not be brighter than your bi xenon headlight units but will be brighter and whiter than your current incandescent bulbs

3. Also noticed these bulbs that Advanced Factors have and whilst yours will be brighter, which of the 2 types will be whiter please (i.e with no yellow but less blue tint)? Can't really comment on the colour as I have not tried them, all I can say is my current sidelights are definitely white and I do not see any blue in them. However they are very slightly whiter than the standard Bi Xenon headlights but only just.

Post #220882 5th Nov 2013 11:38am
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

i also thank you for your technical prowess Prop Thumbs Up

i reckon the wiring must be at least 5 amp rated and with the led 'blinking' [so to speak] the wiring shouldnt get hot, but saying that i would probably go for the 30 watt ones for peace of mind..

also looking at the light unit, the led brake cluster hides any rear projection these smds would show so it will be more of the 'side' of the bulb that is reflected around the brake cluster.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

Post #220888 5th Nov 2013 12:22pm
pld118

I’ll order a pair of the LED sidelight bulbs that Prop has tried and tested. Thanks.

Are there any thoughts now on LED/ upgrade bulbs for these 3 light bulbs please:

A. “Full beam”/ Halogen high beam – 12V/ 55 H7 Watts?

B. Static bending lamp – 12V/ 5 Watt – The way the sidelight bulb and static bending lamp bulbs sit in the same part of the headlight unit, it appears they are different types of bulb?

C. Indicators:
If I order a pair of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320777100341?ssP...1438.l2649 … then turning to:

Side repeater lamps – 12V/ 5 Watt – Assuming we’re happy that by ordering the 30 Watt main indicator bulbs, the car won’t go up in smoke, the headlight unit won’t melt and there won’t be any other electrical gremlins, are there any thoughts on a replacement bulb for the wing mounted indicator side repeater which will compliment these 30 Watt indicator bulbs?

Thanks

Post #220895 5th Nov 2013 12:42pm
Prop

United Kingdom 

Thanks guys Very Happy

Stan I agree that the wiring and socket will be fine in terms of current and wires heating. My concern would be more on the loading of the indicator relays circuits etc. But as its only 750mA above standard I would imagine it should be fine, just wanted to point it out just in case.

I guess it also depends how bright you want to go. the 7watt bulbs are 50% brighter than standard so these 30watt bulbs according to the spec of 850 lumen will be approx 300% brighter.

Post #220896 5th Nov 2013 12:49pm
Prop

United Kingdom 

Full beam H7 55 watt units I have not seen any LED bulbs that will match the brightness, the most practical option here I guess would be to look at fitting a set of H7 HID bulbs and ballasts. This however would not be just a case of bulb replacement, as the ballasts would need to be accommodated etc.

Something like this would be suitable http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CANBUS-PRO-35W-S...564c320166

The market is swimming in HID kits at the moment, if your looking at HID kits try to go for one that offers a good warranty and quality ballasts like the one above.

Once again the legality of these will be debatable, but I have seen 2010 headlights that have had the H7 high beam halogen bulbs replaced with a HID kit and the results looked good to me. As these are used for flashing your headlights as well as highbeam, the only issue you will find is that the initial flash will not be in the rated kelvin/colour as the bulbs take a few seconds to attain there rated colour. But if using highbeam then after a few seconds the light will match your dipped beam assuming you go for 4300k bulbs. Another benefit with using HID's is they are far brighter than the standard 55watt halogen bulb.

Last edited by Prop on 5th Nov 2013 1:06pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #220899 5th Nov 2013 1:05pm
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

another thing that makes me think that the wiring will be suffice is that it has been suggested that if you have a flat battery then a solution is to connect a battery/charger to the side repeater light wiring..
i believe that this is an 'open circuit?' and i can imagine a fair bit of amps coming in this way from the external battery/charger.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

Post #220900 5th Nov 2013 1:05pm
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

and yet another point, the pins on the bulb must have a offset rotated configuration... ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

Post #221042 5th Nov 2013 11:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 9 <123456789>