Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Moog Ball Joints opinions ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
b348xyx

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue
Moog Ball Joints opinions ?

Hi all,

Anyone have experience with Moog Ball joints ?

Front end suspension on Range Rover is quite old now and bushing all looking old and in need of replacement

So order new delphi parts, new track arms, control arms, tie rods.. everything needed.

But only option on ball joints was britpart, all makes, moog and oem.

I have ordered the moog one which arrived today, thought the ball joints wound be stiffer when new.. just wanted to hear if anyone had issues using Moog ball joints as contemplating returning and getting OEM Land Rover for ball joints. As from googling some people have missed feeling on Moog. Don’t want to have to pay to have ball joints replaced twice !

Thanks 2003 Range Rover 4.4 Litre V8 - Adriatic blue

2003 Range Rover 4.4 Litre V8 -Maintenance History Click Here = http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic39687.html

Post #568419 30th Sep 2020 1:48pm
dexion7

2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Alaska White

i had moog ball joints fitted and one of them lasted about a week before it started knocking - utter Censored .

this is an interesting video on YouTube

&t=219s

Post #568421 30th Sep 2020 1:57pm
b348xyx

Hearing your experience is why I am worried about the moog. But after watching that video it seems the Moog fluid movement is good and normal.. and seems good option.. I don’t know split opinion now 😂😂😂 2003 Range Rover 4.4 Litre V8 - Adriatic blue

2003 Range Rover 4.4 Litre V8 -Maintenance History Click Here = http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic39687.html

Post #568422 30th Sep 2020 2:09pm
dexion7

2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Alaska White

'moog' branding on the box may mean that the actual part came from the same production line as those in Delphi boxes or another brand or maybe it didn't or maybe Moog branded ones didn't get the same QC work done if it was a Tuesday etc etc.

There is so much Censored aftermarket stuff around these days the only way to increase your chances of getting quality reliable parts is to buy genuine parts in sealed packets marked 'LR'

Post #568425 30th Sep 2020 2:25pm
b348xyx

Thanks for reply, Well not worth the risk ordered Genuine Land Rover Ball Joints to go with all the Delphi Parts.

will just return the Moog ones as within 14days.

I don't tend to use OEM parts normally and go with Delphi, but after a lot reading online seems ball joints is something not to mess about with ! 2003 Range Rover 4.4 Litre V8 - Adriatic blue

Post #568453 30th Sep 2020 5:50pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I completely agree sir Thumbs Up Bow down

Post #568472 1st Oct 2020 1:08am
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

It depends on who has the contract to make which bit at what point in time for LR. OE and OEM is a minefield... a suspension part can be described as OEM when actually that manufacturer had the contract to make the.....ashtray for example. OE on the other hand means that the part is from the company who originally made that bit for the car, though there can be several OE brands for one part as suppliers change. (That’s how I understand it anyhow, could be wrong)

For example. I’ve used lemforder arb drop links on my 322 and when the old ones came off they were the same. Right down to the little lemforder symbol. As they are a ZF brand I’m pretty confident with their products as far as suspension bits go, And had used their ball joints as well on the old car. Again they were good and the same as the LR boxed ones.

When it comes to cheaper after market stuff I personally leave well alone. The fact that you can buy an upper control arm for a 322 for £15 complete with bush should really ring alarm bells...... but Lemforder do one which is about £55 which would and should be absolutely hunky dory. Or you can take the hit and buy the LR one..... pays your money etc.

Having opened several LR wrapped suspension parts to find Lemforder/ZF bits inside the package I’m personally comfortable with the brand but I do fully understand folks in the trade like Craig who will only fit Genuine LR parts. It makes good sense to be using the proper bits, and gives peace of mind to customers and Warranty folks alike but for us driveway spannerers where comeback is less of an issue, OE like Lemforder should be good enough. But again you pays your money takes your choice!! There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #568760 3rd Oct 2020 1:37pm
JoolsB

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Just fitted Moog ARB links and they definitely look a bit thinner than the ones I took off.

That said, given land rovers reputation for quality control and reliability, I’m not sure genuine LR parts are worth the money - they seem to fail as readily as anything else and I’m not sure the quality inspectors at Solihull are paying attention 100% of the time either.

If they don’t work out, I’ll swap them for something else, looks like they are almost a consumable anyway.

Post #576600 19th Dec 2020 4:43pm
ur20v

A Trap 

I agree, having worked for many Marques as a master tech for 30 years I have seen poor quality, manufacturing defects in parts straight from the manufacturer, just unboxing an LR part has little bearing over a good brand.

When a fault continues and Assuming the new part you have just fitted is out of the loop can waste a lot of time and money, having fitted new OE starters, alternators, actuators and modules etc only to find they were faulty out the box, luckily it’s not common but does happen, same for non-OE, if the non-OE parts were really poor quality and a total lack of quality control they would be out of business and or the parts with drawn.

Just keep to the known brands and not the cheapest unknowns.

Post #576661 20th Dec 2020 10:06am
MarianaWestminster

United Kingdom 

I fitted a moog ball joint to mine which didn't feel that smooth out of the box and began to experience clunking a month later.

Changed a lot of other parts before deciding to replace the moog ball joint for genuine LR which sorted the issue.

I would say you've made the right call by not fitting the moog parts.

Lemforder or genuine going forward for me.

Post #577212 26th Dec 2020 10:41am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1