Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > 6hp26 transmission failure on MY08 tdv8
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

We are interested mate, it's just that your on new ground, that many being broken here people just get the same one they had....

Hope it all works for you... Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #343949 23rd Aug 2015 5:21pm
rar110

Australia 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

Ta Pete.
It was tempting to get a rebuild tranny, with a flash able TCM.

It's quite frustrating the lack of info out there. ______________________________
Vogue tdv8 08MY poverty pack - wow

Post #344044 24th Aug 2015 1:16am
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

Thanks for sharing it mate, you are on new ground indeed (like I was with my gearbox issue on the 4.2, also a 6HP26, a few years ago) so very little help to be given.

It is a good sign though that this box, that is in a LOT of models, so rarely breaks down and this isn't even a "normal" breakdown, just the assembly line lot not doing their job properly. So it is not even a design fault really (although one could ask the question whether changing the material chemistry a bit, or adding a coating etc. may have made a difference but I'd be surprised if that was the case. although I never heard of these types of issues with other cars).

Good luck with the swap over mate. MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #344046 24th Aug 2015 2:18am
rar110

Some good news. The FFRR is back on the road with a new (used) transmission (not a UK tranny) and transfer box. Its so good to be back in the pilot chair. Mr. Green

I could be imagining it, but it feels more punchy off the line compared to previously. It going really nicely.

The box looked really clean on the inside (inspected after the mechatronic removed) and the output spline looked new (after the transfer removed temporarily), so it looks like it might have done only 11,000km like the breaker said. I had my doubts. The mechanic reapplied lubricant to the new output spline.

It took a while for the mechanic to finish. But the mechanic did a fair bit of research trying to find a way to program the new mechatronic. The box came from a 10MY L322, the first of the dual can bus rangies. So despite several attempts he couldn't flash the TCM in the new mechatronic. Ultimately, he just swapped the mechatronics over. He is going to hold on to the 10MY mechatronic to try different ways to flash and reload the host vehicle's data. ______________________________

Post #347181 11th Sep 2015 11:39am
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville

Good that its going again.

The mechatronic will never be able to be successfully re-programmed because the canbus architecture was changed for MY10, which requires different electronic components (ICs) to handle the different data stream. Perhaps the MY10 valve body can be fitted with your old TCM (split the mechatronics) to obtain an almost new valve body.

Post #347198 11th Sep 2015 12:30pm
rar110

thanks Graeme. I think you are on the money again with this. But Ill see how he goes with it.

At the next transmission service I will probably split the mechatronic and swap the valve body over.

In the mean time I'll try to get a bit more information about the valve body, to get some assurance its ok to use. ______________________________

Post #347367 12th Sep 2015 12:42pm
harlie

Australia 
shaft available

Hi Guys

sorry to dig up an oldie....

Big thanks to Phil for his insight.

does anyone know if the input shaft for the transfer case is available?

Post #552980 7th May 2020 12:26am
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

This thread relates to shaft failure (through fretting corrosion) for the ZF 6HP26/28 transmission and the Magna Steyr DD295 transfer box. I’m not aware of a similar problem for your GM 5L40-E transmission and New Venture Gear NV225 transfer box. Businesses like JPAT, here in the UK, do list parts for the NV225 :

https://jpat.co.uk/uploads/1/0/3/5/1035497...rnv225.pdf

but I don’t know about availability in Australia, I’m afraid. It may be more cost effective to source a complete previously-enjoyed transfer box off eBay?

Phil

Post #552995 7th May 2020 9:57am
rar110

Hi Phil
Harlie has Very recently upgraded to a tdv8 3.6. His profile is probably still to catch up. ______________________________

Post #553007 7th May 2020 11:14am
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

Okay, thanks Thumbs Up

Cobra Transmission in the USA supply parts for the DD295

https://cobratransmission.com/itc-dd295-drive-shaft-55166021-1

as do JPAT in the UK

https://jpat.co.uk/uploads/1/0/3/5/1035497...itcpla.pdf

though I still suspect it might be cheaper to buy a complete used unit.

Phil

Post #553055 7th May 2020 2:36pm
rar110

Great, thanks Phil. Harlie & I pulled the DD295 out completely the other night for a better look. He had already separated it from trans to get a glimpse of spline condition, it hadn’t let go but was probably close.

The trans and DD295 spline were both worn and there was a heap of rust dust at the back of the DD295 spline. It looks like the DD295 spline is worn much more than the trans spline so he will replace that. ______________________________

Post #553115 7th May 2020 11:57pm
harlie

Australia 

Big thinks Phill

I have a new shaft coming from JPAT.

The replacement shaft option is quite a bit cheaper than a used box option, I did have a look at a combo from a 2012/13 RRS (6hp28) and was surprised to find the same issue when the dd295 was separated from the ZF. Was this a hit & miss thing or did they never sort it?

A question about opening up the dd295: Does the shift motor, sensor and solonoid need to be removed to split the case (just getting to the shaft)?

Post #553828 14th May 2020 8:15am
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

When forum member RoverDramas contacted Land Rover about this issue, their reply was “...anti seize grease is applied during the removal and refitting of the transmission. However, this is a service procedure and is not necessarily the same process completed when the vehicle is in the manufacturing process as these parts are fitted dry.

Quite why they believe the spline doesn’t require lubrication on initial installation, but then does require it on subsequent installations isn’t explained. I’d really like to know if Land Rover’s position on this has now changed, in the light of all the fretting corrosion failures we’ve seen.

I don’t see any reason why the actuator (shift motor), solenoid and position sensor can’t be left in place while the front casing is removed to access the shaft. I suspect, though, that the motor part of the actuator sticks out and prevents the rear casing from laying flat on the workbench while separating the two halves, so it may be easier to just remove it?

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The input shaft should just slide out once the front casing is removed, though it will still have the pump and suction pipe attached, which will need removing and swapping over onto the new shaft.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Phil

Post #553920 15th May 2020 12:17am
rar110

Thanks Phil. Do you know of the output shaft on 8hp trans fitted by JLR to late L322/D4/L405/L494 vehicles is also dry assembled with D295? ______________________________

Post #553924 15th May 2020 3:21am
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

I don’t know the answer to that, I’m afraid. I can’t recall anyone posting about this specific issue with the 8HP70 transmission, but I’ve certainly seen reports on other forums of the same spline failures on 2012MY 6HP28 models, so it would seem to be an issue that continued right up to the end of L322 production.

Phil

Post #553960 15th May 2020 2:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>