Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > 6hp26 transmission failure on MY08 tdv8
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Print this entire topic · 
rar110

Australia 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

Thanks Phil. I agree. I have not seen any reports about 8HP output shaft spline wear/failure on here or other forums.

Even 6HP failures are surprisingly low. I have a theory that output shaft lubrication did get applied sometimes, as when I bought my replacement HP26/DD295 combo I had the mechanic split it to apply lube to the output spline and it was already lubed. My new trans/TC was from a low km (according to wrecker) MY10 L322. ______________________________
Vogue tdv8 08MY poverty pack - wow

Post #554023 15th May 2020 8:34pm
harlie

Australia 

Great service from JPAT.

Transfer case is back together ready to go back in the car, I can confirm nothing needs to be removed from the case before it is openned up, however if the shift motor and that balancer (what ever it is) is removed first it would make it easier to get a socket on to all the bolts - not removing them meant I had to use a ring spanner on a couple of bolts.

harlie's top tip - fit the input shaft into the front casing then mate the two cases - the locating dowl for the oil pump and the slot for the pickup hose are both in the front casting.

After comparing with a new shaft - there is not much left of the old spline. When I purchased this car the previous owner reported he had lost drive due to the stripped spline issue and it was "fixed" only about 10,000km ago (I found his forum post from when it happened and the times line up). It looks like there is a replacement ZF transmission as that spline looks new - but they just put the original transfer case back on. Talk about doing it on the cheap. I only decided to split the boxes to check the spline after I drained the ZF and it was obvious they didn't change fluid before putting it in. Right about now I'm pretty happy I did as sure it would have left us stranded soon.

Post #554442 19th May 2020 10:10am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345