Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > High idle
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Rob2529

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Oslo Blue
High idle

Well I was a dumb ass today. I know my batts close to the end of it's life as had hdc air suspension probs when I've started it. Had to give my little lad his lunch in the carpark today an made the mistake of putting his DVD on while we fed him. About 20mins later lost sound, HDC INACTIVE, Air suspension inactive, engine fail safe all came up one after another. Tryed to start but batt was dead. Went for some jumpleads an gave one last try after 5mins an she eventually fired into life. This got me out the pooh with the wife but since then I've had a high idle of about 850-900. Normally was about 750.
Any ideas?

Post #43815 28th Dec 2010 6:44pm
elpeede

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

Keep it simple - change the battery, then go from there. Thumbs Up 2010 Disco XS TDV6, 2009 Freelander 2 GS

Previous Landrover products -1990 110 TDI CSW, 2003 TD6 Vogue - RRC TD Vogue, RRC v8 Fleetline, Disco ES V8 LPG, 101 Ambulance "Morph", 1964 SIIa Auto Powered by Jag 4.2 Lump - "Percy".

Post #43816 28th Dec 2010 6:46pm
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

I think the car increases revs when the battery voltage falls below a certain level. The Workshop manual certainly "hints" at this although isn't completely explicit.

The charge system on the L322 is very complicated/clever, one of the downsides of this is that it can often mask smaller problems until you have a big problem.

Personally I experienced similar to you - flat battery after leaving the lights on and then jumped the car. The following trip and actually the next day I had high revs - around 850-900rpm. 

Post #43822 28th Dec 2010 7:37pm
Rob2529

Just popped to sainsbury's and back to normal! Think it's as you mentions dan. Will see what happens when I put the new battery in.

Post #43825 28th Dec 2010 7:53pm
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

Rob2529 wrote:
Just popped to sainsbury's and back to normal! Think it's as you mentioned dan. Will see what happens when I put the new battery in.

I wouldn't needlessly replace the battery unless you come out to find it flat. Or you start to get spurious warning messages.

It's worth noting that with the ignition on the drain is quite significant, especially if you have it on position II rather than just accessory.

Might be worth checking your battery voltage with a multimeter if it does it again.

Dan 

Post #43826 28th Dec 2010 8:06pm
Rob2529

Dan
Had a few HDC, air suspension faults during the cold weather and a sluggish start on occasions so the batt is on it's way out. Just ordered a new one from a mate so will change when it arrives. Would rather be safe than sorry if the cold comes back. I had the key in position 2 with the blower on, front screen and the rear
DVD all playing my lads chuggington so I guess that will have sucked some juice!

Post #43828 28th Dec 2010 8:36pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

that's similar to how i found out my battery was on its way out..i had the windows tinted so the tint man was having the rear windows go up and down to do the tints and when i came to collect ,the battery was dead...i'm pretty sure we're in for more snow and cold weather so now is ideal to change yours... ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #43829 28th Dec 2010 8:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1