Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > What to do if your DPF is blocked...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 16 of 40 <123 ... 151617 ... 383940>
Print this entire topic · 
Baltic Blue

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Baltic Blue

Greg,
I look forward to reading reports about the 2 devices.
The Nexas ND 602 looks very promising.
Do you know if it is VIN locked, or multi vehicle .?

I was intending buying a second licence to Cary out basic functions on my son’s Disco 5 , but this seems a better option if I can use it on both cars.
Mike. G reg 2.5VM Vogue Portofino red 1991- 1999
V reg 2.5td P38 Rioja red 1999- 2006
53 reg td6 Vogue Oslo blue 2006- 2015
11 reg 4.4 TdV8 Vogue SE. Baltic blue 2015- date.
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic56162...tty+affair

Post #528944 24th Sep 2019 4:19pm
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Partial update:

CLEARED THE RED!
But have not managed to complete a forced regen.
Still working on it...

Plugged the DA-Dongle DPFDR first; I'll post up the manual. It says it has two functions:

Function #1 Clear Settings
Engine off, plug it in and it will clear DPF settings.
There's no interface, just some coloured LED and beeps that tell you what's happening. Red warning still on dash. So I tried again. Red still on dash so ran it again. Then thought I'd plug the IIDTool in and I saw it'd reset the soot to zero. Ok, so I thought what if I clear errors with the IID. Which I did and that worked.

So then i tried function #2 Forced Regen Plug it it with engine running. Drive till engine warm it bleeps and you have to make sure you can drive at 25MPH for 15 mins. So I drove out of central London on the A40
, pulled over and plugged it in. By that time, engine temp was normal. It's supposed to bleep and flash green for 15mins while doing the regen. With no IID plugged in, I've got nothing to confirm it's regennig. 2 mins and I get a long bleep and solid green LED which indicates it's completed regen according to the manual. No way that was enough time. Pull over. Switch off, check the book and try again. Same.

So at this point I thought I'd try the NEXAS ND602
Click through the DPF regen menu and promisingly, it gives three options,
1. Yellow Warning DPF Regen
2. Red Warning DPF Regen
3. Red Warning New DPF

What to do? With no errors, no red or yellow on dash and a false 0g soot reading, I'm not sure what to do. I really need to get a regen happening.

Tried option 2 then option 1. Got an error on the Nexas screen for both.

Plugged in the IID and thought I might get lucky and it might just work out it needs a regen on it's own. The car, not the IID. The IID can only monitor. Drove out of London a bit more at 50mph and the temps didn't go up. Turned around an sat her on 50 for the return run. Still no regeneration temps.

The only thing is the soot seem to climb to 9.9 g from zero after that 20-25 mile run. I think that 's a lot...

The WM refers "soot estimator" readings and it is just that a calculated, cumulative estimate of grams based on temps and pressure readings. The WM "DPF testing" doc details a complicated series of calibrations which I'm still trying to understand. I'm basically hoping the estimator will calculate the soot back up and I'm not unhappy it went up to nearly 10g tonight, if the soot gets back to 17g it'll trigger a regen itself. Which I want.

I'll also contact tech support for both devices to try to find out why neither would force a regen.

My DPF is still full, but at least I have made some progress getting the red off the screen in this black arts world of DPF.

Stay tuned.

. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #529121 26th Sep 2019 1:50am
GGDR

Mike not sure if the Nexas is VIN locked. I didn't have to register it, just plugged it in and it worked so I don't think so.

Very interesting point about the EGR sensor too.

. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Post #529122 26th Sep 2019 1:59am
flashgordon

Germany 

stan wrote:
was it something like this Greg?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultra-Slim-16-p...SwGNdZnCXd

great idea!

Post #529168 26th Sep 2019 3:00pm
GGDR

Bit of an update since my last post, I had a word with the manufacturers about their DA-Dongle DPFDR, very helpful. Advice was to carry on driving, monitor soot and wait for it to got to above 17g and then try to let it do it's own regen.

Following the 'zero' reset they said it would (should) find it's correct level. I did 60-odd miles from zero to 17g which is very low miles (normally for me 170ish), but that was a false zero so makes sense in fact I'm glad it crept up fast (but steadily) as I wasn't able to regen it following the zero reset around a week ago.

Over the last week it's got to 17g and so this evening headed out of London. It crept up past 19g with temps not rising. Kept going past the m25 and then another junction or two, still no temps rising so I'm thinking it's not going to do it by itself and I exited and while I was going around the roundabout to head back and return home, I spot the temps heading upward past 580°. Weird timing.

Steady foot and and ease her up to 55 on the on-ramp. Temps still climbing and off it goes doing it's long needed regen. Thumbs Up Down goes the soot to 12g but then the temps drop indicating a premature end to the regen. No traffic and on cruise so no idea why. I come off the M/A40 again next exit, pull over and try the DA-Dongle DPFDR again.

This time it bleeps properly and carried bleeping for 14 mins at 40mph ending with a long bleep indicating it's completed a regen.

Sound promising and I plug in the IID. Oddly the temps are still 625° whilst the soot carries on dropping down to 4, then 3.5 then 3g. This is without the DA-Dongle DPFDR plugged in.

Don't think that's right but happy as it bottomed out at 2.7g which is very low. Oddly the exhaust temp was still running at 580° when I pulled up at home idling.

Conclusion: DA-Dongle DPFDR works, for me in conjunction with the IID clearing the error code.
RED warning cleared and regen completed.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I'll write up at the top and revised/update the main advice section accordingly.

. Cheers, Greg

Post #530286 8th Oct 2019 1:28am
Baltic Blue

Greg,
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=ht...3581340575

Do you think this splitter would work to allow both the iid and new dongle to be used at the same time? giving a better picture as to what is happening?

Glad that you got rid of Red warning without dealer intervention.

I am a little confused by some of your findings, but my brain is taking a DPF holiday.

Cheers

Post #530309 8th Oct 2019 1:56pm
GGDR

I was thinking about a splitter Mike.

Would that work, two devices in the OBD port at once?

. Cheers, Greg

Post #530349 8th Oct 2019 11:20pm
GGDR

Not sure a splitter will work, found quite a lot of chat on other forums with this and others saying the same:

All OBDII communications must go through the CAN gateway. The CAN gateway can only handle one instruction at a time. It is possible to plug 2 devices into the connector with a "Y" cable. However, there will be problems if both devices try to talk to the car at the exact same time. The CAN gateway has no way to know that there are 2 devices, so it cannot address only one to send data to only one device. As long as one of the 2 devices is relatively quiet (not constantly demanding info), both devices will probably work OK. However, if one of the devices is polling for data constantly (like the Torque App running 6 gauges), I would not expect any other device to reliably communicate.  Cheers, Greg

Post #531061 16th Oct 2019 6:45am
flashgordon

Germany 

GGDR wrote:
Hi Matt, ok edits finished.

Actually I watch temps to know if it's finished. Once you see it at 630 I keep it constant until the grams drop. Sometimes it can be quick but other times it takes longer.

Speed 50 to 70 - It's fine but I use slow adjustments on the cruise to build speed which seems to upset the regen least.

Once you see it drop to 550-odd and the to 400-odd you know it's winding down and I turn around once it drops below 300.

Once I managed super regen (my own term) which is out to a certain junction, off ramp, roundabout turning back, on ramp and having the regen resume. That way I'm burning soot on the way out and the way back instead of gaining on the return. I think I had two green lights on the roundabout so my speed didn't drop too low and the regen resumed.

I usually go late to avoid queues and put on some nice tunes.

I don't enjoy being this much into DPFs Big Cry Big Cry

Hello,

using the IID tool now for every trip. Have seen first patterns how soot concentration behaves/extends
and 2 questions related to this:

1)

I see the active regeneration gettting started (mainly on motorways) and soot concentration goes down to somewhere between 3 and 7 -- as it should.

Unfortunately when this successful process is finished I already can see the soot concentration number climbing again quite fast.

City Traffic (Distance: 5-12 miles per trip / Speed: 25-30 mph / Traffic-light-stops: many)
brings soot levle concentraion up to 17-20 g within only 50-75 miles.

I assume this is way tooo fast, even under these bad traffic conditions for DPFs
and this soot-concentration-behaviour indicates hardware-problems ( sensors / (ash) full DPF /...... ? ) ?

2)

Greg wrote regarding voltage of the difference pressure sensor a value between 0,7 - 1,0 seems to be good,
and values > 1,0 indicate DPF-is-full (more or less).

I measured with the IID tool that the values is always between 0,7 and 1,0 when I drive "normal".
When I accelerate stronger (what exact is stronger? I know...), for example to overtake someone, then the value increases up to 1,5 max

I would be interested in your values here.
Is yours stabile in the 0,7 - 1,0 range all the time, even when you accelerate?

thanks for this so helpful DPF-blog by the way

Gunnar

Post #533117 4th Nov 2019 2:08pm
Brian Considine

United Kingdom 

May be a silly question but does using a decent quality fuel (as opposed to supermarket) have any bearing on DPF blockages ? 2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6

Post #533134 4th Nov 2019 3:39pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

i wouldnt have thought so Brian..i've always used supermarket fuel and have had only 2 yellow regens in the 3 odd years i owned my 4.4 tdv8... ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #533136 4th Nov 2019 3:43pm
Baltic Blue

I always use supermarket fuel, but decided to do a 4. month trial using Millers fuel additive which it claims to help DPF soot levels, but after adding two bottles of the stuff at £17/ bottle I can report that it made not one jot of difference in any way,
Soot build up rate, mpg, etc were exactly the same with or without the additive.

Post #533140 4th Nov 2019 4:12pm
GGDR

flashgordon 1.5 is very high so i think you may need to get yours cleaned.

Differential voltage is key and the soot grams is calculated from this. Soot grams is an accurate estimate, but an estimate nonetheless. i.e. differential voltage is the main value that tells you the immediate health of your dpf
0.7 is normal
1.0 is high but ok as long as it comes back to 0.7 after a regen
1.5 when accelerating - I'm going to check this tomorrow

17-20 g within only 50-75 miles - this is too few miles. Again indicating you may need it removed cleaned and refitted

Pls make sure its cleaned using a 'flash' type machine off the car

Glad it's useful Thumbs Up Cheers, Greg

Post #533185 4th Nov 2019 9:58pm
Brian Considine

United Kingdom 

stan wrote:
i wouldnt have thought so Brian..i've always used supermarket fuel and have had only 2 yellow regens in the 3 odd years i owned my 4.4 tdv8...

Apart from injector issues with a used (unknown history) replacement engine my last vehicle a VW Transporter I have never had injector issues with my diesels - all have passed the 250k mark with no injector or fuel issues, all run on Shell/BP with a dash of 2-T added.

About 15 years ago a mate & myself bought new identical MB Vito vans - he always used supermarket fuel fuel & needed new injectors at 30k intervals - mine was still on its original injectors at 250k when I traded it in. To me it says it all & I personally will never run any vehicle that I own on supermarket fuel.

Best of luck to anyone who does. 2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6

Post #533192 4th Nov 2019 11:08pm
Range Rover L322

United Kingdom 

Shell V-Power is repeatedly recommended over Supermarket fuel - multiple reasons and sources over a long period.

Post #533321 6th Nov 2019 3:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 16 of 40 <123 ... 151617 ... 383940>