Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Why L405 over an L322?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand
Why L405 over an L322?

Chaps, thinking about moving up to an L405 4.4 TDV8 or 3.0L sdv6 (as a keeper) and would appreciate your thoughts on what advantages the 405 has over the latest L322 (2012) and which is the best MY to buy.

I am not particularly keen on the central facia/control/screen of the 405 and find the latest 322 controls excellent.

Thoughts ? (On the best engine to get too, there’s a lot of 3.0L for sale and am wondering why.)

Many thanks and happy Xmas! 👻🥳🎅🤶

Post #499387 21st Dec 2018 10:02pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Drive one - it’s in a totally different league. If the budget allows and you can afford it go for the SDV8 - the performance is phenomenal - even the kick down and outright acceleration from 80 upwards still astounds me. I have never had so much fun driving such a vehicle - even sports cars, and the handling with 22’s is fantastic 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Last edited by Vogue on 21st Dec 2018 10:23pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #499389 21st Dec 2018 10:20pm
speedymarktd6

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

3.0 TDV6 is a Peugeot / Citroen built engine and it is a poorly made and just generally rubbish engine that will fall to bits with no warning
It’s well documented that they chew up cam belts, lunch oil pumps and snap the crankshafts into 2 pieces just to name a few of the problems

4.4 TDV8 is a ford built engine and it is a fantastic engine onto no6 Range Rover

Everyone needs a hobby

Post #499390 21st Dec 2018 10:21pm
dolph34

Ireland 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

Couldnt disagree more with Vogue except for the handling but we are still talking about a 4x4. I've driven a few 405s and find them much more car like and lacking the presence of a 322 and much more ' mainstream'. I must admit i havent driven one with the power of Vogues , my 4.4 l322 is remapped but it doesn't have anywhere near the power his has. Have a test drive of both and see which one suits you best. We are individuals so different strokes for different folks , etc. As usual , just my opinion Thumbs Up 2015 4.4 AB
GSXR 1000 K5
R1 1998

Post #499398 22nd Dec 2018 12:40am
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

speedymarktd6 wrote:
3.0 TDV6...is a poorly made...engine that will fall to bits with no warning... It’s well documented that they chew up cam belts, lunch oil pumps and snap the crankshafts into 2 pieces just to name a few of the problems

If you are referring to the L405, your sweeping generalisation is unhelpful. Research via this forum and you will find as many issues with the 4.4 as with the 3.0 and with both engines, instances are comparatively low.

To the OP. The L405 is a great to own and capable vehicle, as is the L322. Do your research on the engines, the car you’re interested in and drive both engine variants. You probably won’t be disappointed with either, it will come down to your preference. We are entering our third year with a 3.0 L405 and it has been superb. A pleasure to own and drive. The engine hasn’t ‘fallen to bits’. I don’t expect it to any time soon Thumbs Up

Last edited by pld118 on 23rd Dec 2018 6:40am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #499402 22nd Dec 2018 9:46am
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Vogue wrote:
Drive one - it’s in a totally different league. If the budget allows and you can afford it go for the SDV8 - the performance is phenomenal - even the kick down and outright acceleration from 80 upwards still astounds me. I have never had so much fun driving such a vehicle - even sports cars, and the handling with 22’s is fantastic

I couldn't agree more Thumbs Up

Depends on the kind of driving you do I guess but in the winter I drive from Andorra to Barcelona Airport most weeks - so I can have lots of snow at one end - mountain roads, then quite fast A roads and motorways and IMHO no better all round vehicle to do it in Cool

Drive one is the right advice - I haven't looked back

Post #499403 22nd Dec 2018 10:01am
Dolphinboy

Alistair, I have the same sort of requirements as you - European travel to mountains, easy off road stuff (Scotland), carry all the little man’s gear, tow a horse box or trailer etc.

I am happy with the capability of both versions but am wondering if it’s worth spending a substantial amount more for little return in terms of ride, feel etc. Also aware that more tech can mean more hassle and faults. Is there a lot more tech to go wrong in a 405?

Vogue, are all the 405 diesel V8’s now SDV8? Has the tdv8 been superceded?

Thanks for the replies so far. Very useful. More please from those who have made the leap and had no probs Mr. Green

Post #499404 22nd Dec 2018 10:11am
speedymarktd6

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

I don’t need to use the search feature as It is well documented on here, disco 3/4 and the other sites associated with this one, and along with the various Jaguars that it’s fitted too and also on the bigger wider web the 2.7 and later 3.0 TDV6 is a rubbish engine whereby failures are seemingly everyday look on google , it is a Peugeot / Citroen/ ford partnership built engine even Land Rover itself can’t keep up with the supply of replacement engines for the rate of failures

I sure as know that the 4.4 doesn’t have that kind of reputation as it’s a different engine full stop and had nothing to do with Peugeot or Citroen when it was conceived onto no6 Range Rover

Everyone needs a hobby

Post #499405 22nd Dec 2018 10:17am
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

You are entitled to your view speedy, however you're making, sweeping scaremonger statements about the L405 3.0TDv6 that do seem unhelpful in response to the OP's question.

It is not 'well documented on here'.

According to posts on this forum, 3.0 TDv6 engine failures in the L405 remain rare (the L405 has been on the go since 2012 and on this worldwde RR forum, there are less than one handful of L405 examples and the low end of one handful at that, with no reports of anybody being left high and dry with a large bill):

https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic45832...crankshaft

To add some balance, the below thread deals with 4.4 TDv8 engine failures, highlighting a couple of examples. Again, rare although all worthy of note for anyone considering the 3.0 and/ or the 4.4.

Having had a 2.7 diesel Discovery and then back to back, a 4.2SC L322, a 4.4 diesel L322 and a 3.0 diesel L405, the only engine that caused us any problems was the 4.2SC.

'Rubbish' the 3.0 L405 is not.

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic47796.html

Last edited by pld118 on 23rd Dec 2018 6:41am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #499410 22nd Dec 2018 11:48am
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

The 322 is more practical, with a larger load space area and tumbling rather than just folding rear seats. I also prefer the manual tailgate for the greater control in opening/closing, but the ability of the 405 to open when a foot is moved under it can be useful when approaching with arms full of luggage. The 322 is less exposed to the risk of theft from key signal amplification, though dealers have suggested that later 405s have extra security. On the negative side, 322s, especially later ones, suffer from corrosion, especially rear wheel arches and upper tailgate, and the aluminium 405 is presumably better for that. 322 lights seem better than 405 unless you have the laser lights that are an extra on MY18 onwards.

The 405 offers more performance and is quieter and more refined. The 4.4 SDV8 does put a smile on your face and would be my choice if doing regular towing, especially of heavier trailers. Post Sept 15 (65 reg) they should be Euro 6 which may be important as regards access to certain city areas, 322s will all be Euro 5 or less, so more likely to be excluded/charged more for access. That said I chose the 5.0SC as I did't want the complexity of two turbos plus AdBlue, or (without pretending to be too saintly) to be adding to people's health problems with diesel emissions. I used to regard the 5.0SC as a silly choice, but am an enthusiastic convert. It's lovely, smooth and gentle to drive in normal use, but with latent power when desired. One does have to visit filling stations a lot, though AdBlue SDV8s have smaller tanks so the tank range advantage is not as great as with earlier cars. City drivers could consider the PHEV. Having recently driven a MY18 at a LR Experience day at Butterstone in Perthshire, I prefer the styling (apart from the grille) of the MY17 and before.

I'm not a tech person so can't say too much about that. The 322 WM audio seems better to me than the standard AB audio of the 405, which is a bit disappointing at the price point. I have not heard the top audio extra (£4,000) of the 405 which is presumably a bit more like it, but of course pretty costly.

Just on the 3.0 TDV6. When last at the dealer's, I was in the workshop. There was a Discovery 4 with the body off awaiting a replacement engine. I discussed it with a technician and was told replacement of the 3.0 TDV6s was a regular occurrence, with cam problems being the main cause. Apparently there is a telltale oil leak that shows before the failure, and LR are providing replacement engines on a 'no quibble' basis. The technician added that it was a shame that the engines were so prone to failure as they were otherwise very good, with an excellent balance of performance and economy. I would not consider a 3.0 TDV6. Even if the risk of failure is small, and LR would be likely to fix the car without cost to me, it is not worth the risk of a failure occurring in a safety critical situation, and even if no-one is hurt or ultimately out of pocket, there is the hassle of being without the car for the repair period. And I'd always think that I could have had more performance and regret not choosing that.

I don't regret moving to the 405 at all. It was really corrosion that prompted me to change, plus the start of components failing, and the chance of a good deal on a pre-reg 405 MY17. Having owned all shapes from the 2 door Classic onwards I also don't think that it is too car-like. Do a LR Experience day and you'll see that it can deliver.

So: if you like your 322 and it is sound then it remains great value and there is no desperate need to change. But when you want a change the 405 has a lot to offer. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #499421 22nd Dec 2018 2:10pm
Paul thornton

United Kingdom 

I take it you went off the Velar idea then Dolphinboy?

Post #499424 22nd Dec 2018 3:00pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

James, if you wish to? Come up and ill take you out in mine! NO its NOT for sale and thats not my intension... You know I've owned both recently and drive most models on a regular basis, so am happy to talk you through my experiences Thumbs Up

And Lorna would love a cuddle again Wink

Post #499434 22nd Dec 2018 5:49pm
Dolphinboy

eNCE

@paul Thornton - yes - the velar just didn’t make sense. By the time you went and put on the stuff (such as air suspension! Shocked ) that is standard on a FFRR, the cost was around £75k!! Shocked also I would miss a v8. 4 pots don’t do it for me.

It was also smaller inside and while I still like the look outside, both front and back, it didn’t have the presence of the FFRR.

@ Craig, many thanks for the offer. I have the ear of a sales guy in Bristol who is keen for me to try the 3.0L so will see what he can come up with. Also yours is chipped and may give me a false sense of ...... POWER!! 🤪👏😜
also not sure how happy you would be me giving Lorna MORE cuddles Mr. Green

Thanks everyone for all your balanced and informative answers.

Just writing my letter to Santa now ... Whistle

Post #499438 22nd Dec 2018 6:49pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Dolphinboy wrote:
Alistair, I have the same sort of requirements as you - European travel to mountains, easy off road stuff (Scotland), carry all the little man’s gear, tow a horse box or trailer etc.

Mine spends about 8 months a year in Europe - I regularly drive to Bordeaux in a single day - at the beginning of December we came to Andorra - overnight stop in Toulouse then up the mountains in the morning.

My L322 TDV8 was a fine tow vehicle, but the L405 SDV8 is better Cool

I love the SDV8, but I didn't try the 3.0L

Post #499440 22nd Dec 2018 7:09pm
nearlee

Wales 

All I can say is a few clients who have owned and driven both seem to prefer the drive of the l322, and my clients have multiple cars in there garages. Remember:- amateurs built the ark
Proffesionals built the titanic

Post #499443 22nd Dec 2018 7:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>