Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > moving from disco's to Range Rover help would be appreciated
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
davmonag

United Kingdom 

Ok thanks. Why don’t they take it off rather mark it as an advisory? Seems a bit of a waste.

Post #532305 27th Oct 2019 3:48pm
Rosco

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Baltic Blue
Re: Help Please. Looked at a TDV8 today

davmonag wrote:
Hello all,

I looked at a TDV8 today. My heart is trying to take over my head. Love the look but may I ask for help? I have taken lots of pictures and film of the underneath and the rust areas and was wondering an I collect your opinions wether to putrchase or keep away? I feel I want to save it.

In 2 years it has done 800 miles. Not been serviced. It’s sitting 130000 miles. 2 owner car. The first owner kept it on good condition. The second owner just drove it when required.

Rusty boot lid. Rust starting on one rear wing. Pics attached can I fix or should I replace boot lid. I keep getting suspension fault and restricted performance on the dash. This does worry me. Would need to know help. Hip check is ok. Mileage works out ok. Mot passed this month with only 1 advisory which I don’t understand. Under cover fitted so can not view. ?

Some pics for you all to scrutinise will be uploaded tonight when I get back.

Last note on failed mot on September. Engine mil inoperative or indicates a malfunction
can this be solved by pulling a fuse so the light does not show?
Thanks in advance for your help, knowlege and guidance.

David

I would be VERY sceptical of a full fat that has done 800 miles in 2 years and passes with no advisories, (undertray doesnt count). Just my tuppence worth Thumbs Up

Post #532307 27th Oct 2019 4:31pm
davmonag

United Kingdom 

HI ALL. Pictures now uploaded. Most worrying pics here
D

Post #532319 27th Oct 2019 5:24pm
davmonag

United Kingdom 

Anyone know what this is under the car which is rusting so badly?

Click image to enlarge

Post #532322 27th Oct 2019 5:42pm
MR GLOVER

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

Made me feel better about my 55plate have no rust on the tail gate

Post #532324 27th Oct 2019 6:02pm
Gsxr1250dave

England 

My 53 plate has no rust either Laughing

Post #532327 27th Oct 2019 6:08pm
ibb1

United Kingdom 

Wow that tailgate looks bad, personally for that price,with that mileage and those issues I’d run a mile from that, there are others out there.

Post #532331 27th Oct 2019 6:24pm
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

Dunno Ibb1 is the auction man but look at brightwells.com

I would walk away from this - there’s a lot of rust underneath as well as body. None of mine are like that!

Why not consider a 4.2 SC. They are c.£6k and can be awesome!

Post #532333 27th Oct 2019 6:32pm
ibb1

United Kingdom 

We mostly use BCA who do fortunately have sites all over the Country so there might be something a bit closer to the OP, he'd have to go down there and bid himself and the fees for private buyers are significantly higher than for trade buyers with accounts but he could still find a decent one and save some money.
That 2010 one looks like a dog, I'd bet its had a hard life and sounds like maintenence has been skimped on, not to mention the faults already present. There is a good amount of choice with the L322 don't rush and end up buying one that's likely to be a money pit.

Post #532357 27th Oct 2019 9:38pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

Corrosion is the enemy of later 322s, my 2012 WM was much worse for this than my 2004 4.4. The problem is probably worse in Scotland where there will be more salt on the roads and perhaps more rain. Rust on the rear wheel arches and around is more of a problem as the hindquarters are structural and in general the visible corrosion will be the tip of the iceberg. I'd be wary of the example pictured. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #532436 28th Oct 2019 1:00pm
ibb1

United Kingdom 

Did they change the quality of the steel on the later ones or something?, I had a 2005 which was rust free at 10 years old.

Post #532464 28th Oct 2019 3:41pm
Baltic Blue

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Baltic Blue

The upper tailgate on my 2003 Td6 was spotless , but the 2011 4.4 tdV8 replacement had rust bubbles all along the lower edge , but in fairness to JLR they didn’t hesitate to replace it free of charge when I complained to the supplying dealer, who of course had missed it when he did the Approved 165 point inspection.
Mike. G reg 2.5VM Vogue Portofino red 1991- 1999
V reg 2.5td P38 Rioja red 1999- 2006
53 reg td6 Vogue Oslo blue 2006- 2015
11 reg 4.4 TdV8 Vogue SE. Baltic blue 2015- date.
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic56162...tty+affair

Post #532467 28th Oct 2019 3:56pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

The later ones do seem to be worse. Maybe a combination of more scrap content in the steel and more environmentally friendly paint. My 2004 car had a few stone chips at 9 1/2 years old, but no rust on the bodywork. The underneath had been waxoyled from new, but was rust free after nine years (apart from brake hoses).

The 2012 car by contrast had needed a new tailgate due to bubbles in the paint after about two years, the wheel arches were rusted and had to be treated after 2 1/2 years and every year in the spring thereafter while I had it. Various window trims had to be replaced due to corrosion bubbling, as also a set of wheels with 'runs' of corrosion under the lacquer, and swollen wheel nuts, all within the three years from new warranty period. LR did replace everything other than the wheel arches under warranty, they declined to provide any support for the wheel arches.

All rather disappointing, especially at the price and looking at what other manufacturers were able to achieve, and the more so when remembering the treatment used on P38s which was significantly better, with vulnerable areas galvanised and treated with anti-chip paint before being painted. 322s were neither galvanised nor treated with anti -chip paint, presumably as a cost saving measure, maybe alternatively it was incompatible with the new paint shop installed at Solihull by BMW. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #532489 28th Oct 2019 7:10pm
ibb1

United Kingdom 

Wow that’s bad, sounds like late L322s are a bit like the late 90s-mid 00s Mercs that always suffered from rust on the arches, wings and boots, Mercedes upped their game after about 2005-2006 though and the newer ones don’t seem to do it, hopefully Land Rover have done the same with the L405!.
I did actually have my eye on an early L322 to buy myself as a winter hack/tip run car, it went for £900!, was very high mileage and the engine management light was on and I chickened out it looked pretty tidy though, no rust on it!.

Post #532515 28th Oct 2019 9:59pm
davmonag

United Kingdom 

Hi Guys,

Looking at 2 Fatty's this week. one a 5.0lt petrol from a fullfatrr member in Perth and another I found on Autotrader, https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ad...amp;page=1

I prefer the petrol, pic below, although not seen yet but my other half who will probably drive it as much as me prefers the diesel on auto trader.

Tough choice to be made this weekend.

id appreciate your thoughts on the diesel in the above link. I have had it checked out, the underneath is clean as a whistle. its full landrover service history. its had all the correct services when required. the only thing I can find wrong with the diesel is that one part of the tread on the rear alloy is 1.6mm.

some pictures below of the underneath of the diesel.

Post #532709 30th Oct 2019 10:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>