Home > General > moving from disco's to Range Rover help would be appreciated
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
davmonag

United Kingdom 
moving from disco's to Range Rover help would be appreciated

Hello All,

I have been a faithful user of the disco 3 website for years. after owning a disco 2 and 4 discos 3's and then a disco 4 I now have the need to own a Range Rover. I want to use it for going to work and back sometimes, at the weekend taking the dog to the beach and we go green laning sometimes. What models and years should I avoid as a first time owner? I have a budget of uptown £8000. im keeping a £1000 back for extras. id love a model vogue se or auto 2010 on bu the only ones I can find have 150000 plus. I know I need to look for one with FSH low owners etc. Anyone selling on here please get in touch.

I look forward to any response you all may have.

quick bit of extra info. I have been looking for quite a while and have been to view a lot of them but they all seem to have really bad chassis corrosion. is the norm?

Kind Regards to all on here

David

Post #531738 21st Oct 2019 11:52pm
Fox889

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

Think you've got to ask yourself a few questions first;
Do I want petrol or diesel, mpg for starters can scare you rigid but if you're not doing the miles it won't bother you.
Petrol = 4.2 or 5.0 supercharged [for your budget probably a 4.2]
Diesel = 3.0 TD6 [BMW engine as per X5] early FFRR with a brilliant engine, no fuss, totally reliable speaking as an ex X5 owner.
Diesel = 3.6 TDV8 even better than a TD6 but prone to turbo failures [body off job usually] ZF gearboxes need love & attention.
I didn't think body & chassis were a big problem, early FFRR's had rear arch rust & sill rust beneath the sill panels & of course the dreaded tailgate rust, even on a '12 plate & that's criminal in my eyes!
History is a big plus, amount of owners not so important. An 'enthusiast' car would be a great find.

Once you've made your mind up, set your budget, look & keep looking. It took me a good 6-9 months to find the 'chosen one'.
Keep an eye on here on a daily basis for any members vehicles. If in doubt ask.
There are literally hundreds out there so take your time.
Speaking as a 'newbie' on here, I can't believe the quality & quantity of information on here from these guys, I've asked some bloody silly questions & can assure those on here there's plenty more to come, but not once has anyone said ' Censored off'....yet Razz

Hope you find a good 'un. 2012 Orkney Grey Westminster 4.4TDV8 with Ivory interior.........nice!
BMW R1200GS
Alfa Romeo Giulietta
Just one Montesa now, 349 White Wonder
Austin A40 Farina MK2
1975 Morris Marina 1.8TC

Post #531746 22nd Oct 2019 5:31am
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Quote:
id love a model vogue se or auto 2010 on bu the only ones I can find have 150000 plus

- market value

...and just a polite suggestion for the OP if you see a nice car for £18 grand which it's well worth I'm sure offering a budget of £8 grand is going go down like a cup of cold sick.

Good luck, just be realistic - and bear in mind sellers are people too! Thumbs Up

Once again, just a polite suggestion.

. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #531751 22nd Oct 2019 6:35am
markdotreed

United Kingdom 

Don't be polite......... Laugh... Feed the troll...... Almost as funny as trying to buy a dog guard for a car you don't own.... Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Regards
Mark

2009 D4; 1993 Classic 3.9 VSE

Post #531765 22nd Oct 2019 9:40am
GraemeC

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver

Fox889 wrote:
Diesel = 3.0 TD6 [BMW engine as per X5] early FFRR with a brilliant engine, no fuss, totally reliable speaking as an ex X5 owner.

Great engine, chocolate gearbox. The ZF unit fitted to the 3.6 TDV8 is much more reliable Thumbs Up 2007 Zermatt Silver TDV8 Vogue SE - now sold but was a great car!

Post #531772 22nd Oct 2019 11:37am
Gsxr1250dave

England 

I run an early l322 4.4 petrol on lpg it's amazing we also have a D3 there chalk and cheese. If I were you look for a tdv8 with good history the td6 gearbox is made of cheese even if it's been refurbed it will let go again at some point.

As said check on here for members cars for sale better buying from here than an unknown from else where

Post #531779 22nd Oct 2019 12:32pm
TJH1985

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black
Re: moving from disco's to Range Rover help would be appreci

davmonag wrote:

quick bit of extra info. I have been looking for quite a while and have been to view a lot of them but they all seem to have really bad chassis corrosion. is the norm?

I understand this, currently looking for a 2011/12 4.4TDV8 alongside a L405 search and all of the 2011/12's we have been to see have been worse for corrosion than our current 2007 TDV8! I think its just waiting on the right one to come along.

Tom

Post #531789 22nd Oct 2019 2:20pm
ibb1

United Kingdom 

I started working back in the car trade a few months ago and have seen a good few 2010 facelift TDV8s with 100k ish on go through at between £7.5k-£9k, later 4.4s going between 10.5k-13k some with less miles, they're not the most popular cars at the auction that's for sure, as they're at the age where expensive things could start going wrong, they're not really what we go in for,I've had a couple myself in the past and still have a soft spot for them so was surprised at what good value they are now.
Defenders and Landcruisers always seem to go through the roof!.

Post #532202 26th Oct 2019 4:59pm
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Yes but the main thing is ULEZ and general diesel feeling at the moment pushing the prices down.
5.0 supercharged are considerably dearer (very high teens for example) if all else milege spec etc the same
. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #532205 26th Oct 2019 5:17pm
ibb1

United Kingdom 

It's partly that I'd say and partly due to the age of them now and the (sorry to say it) sometimes deserved rep Land Rovers get for reliability, the L322 is a wonderful but very complex car which costs a lot when things go wrong and it puts people off them a bit, just logged in to the work account to look at auction stuff, there's a 2011 4.4 TDV8 Vogue SE with 104k booking at between £8250 and £9100, that's a hell of a lot of car for the money.
I'd say from what I've seen the ULEZ is putting people off diesels a bit but Range Rovers still seem to struggle a bit more, whenever a newer shape Landcruiser or late Defender goes through they seem to go for very strong money even though they're not ULEZ compliant either, can't help but think Toyotas legendary reliability and the Defenders lack of complexity and iconic status help them sell.
There arn't any 5 litre L322 S/Cs to compare to at the moment but I'd say you were right and they do go for more, got to have a thick wallet to put the petrol in one though!.

Post #532227 26th Oct 2019 8:02pm
davmonag

United Kingdom 
found what I hope to be my new Range Rover

Hi ALL,

Found a 2010 vogue se for 8999. its done 139000 miles. sandy coloured. virtual dash. restricted performance and suspension warnings on dash. I did drive it and the engine felt strong and the gears felt smooth. no cluncks from the suspension. its going in to get the errors checked.

wheels need a refurb and 2 new from tyres soon. been serviced every it seems 20 to 30000 miles but only 2 owners. interior is good condition but the rear lid will need paint or replaced. bubbling started on rear wings but not through yet so will need to get that sorted.

its seems a lot of car for the money BUT it is a private sale. the things I found I can work on over time to bring it upto my level. I get the feeling its a good car but just mis treated. gearbox has not been serviced.

I would hope to do a deal during the week for 8500.

would love all your input please.

Post #532280 27th Oct 2019 11:23am
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

If I were you I'd go and look at the 2011 4.4 TDV8 in the Auction. The 2010 may be a 3.6L TDV8. If so it will have the old look interior (key fob in the dash etc)

They are different cars in my (albeit very small) book. Later year, less miles. similar price. Suspension probs easily fixed; restricted performance not so much. Could be a number of things. Buy an IID tool from Brightwells (sponsor on here) and take it with you to see the fault codes.

I bought my first FFRR sight unseen and undriven from an auction (Brightwells in Leominster.) it was a 2002 TD6 (this is 2008 Im talking about) adn it was the best I have ever had of my 4 to date. Never went wrong in any way over 3 years.

Good luck with the search and don't be shy in asking advice. Everyone on here is very ready to help. Thumbs Up Bow down

Post #532288 27th Oct 2019 1:52pm
davmonag

United Kingdom 
Help Please. Looked at a TDV8 today

Hello all, Big Question. Is it worth the gamble at 8500 or is it to big a risk?

I looked at a TDV8 today. My heart is trying to take over my head. Love the look but may I ask for help? I have taken lots of pictures and film of the underneath and the rust areas and was wondering an I collect your opinions wether to putrchase or keep away? I feel I want to save it.

In 2 years it has done 800 miles. Not been serviced. It’s sitting 130000 miles. 2 owner car. The first owner kept it on good condition. The second owner just drove it when required.

Rusty boot lid. Rust starting on one rear wing. Pics attached can I fix or should I replace boot lid. I keep getting suspension fault and restricted performance on the dash. This does worry me. Would need to know help. Hip check is ok. Mileage works out ok. Mot passed this month with only 1 advisory which I don’t understand. Under cover fitted so can not view. ?

Have movies as well of underside if need to be seen

Some pics for you all to scrutinise will be uploaded tonight when I get back.
Pictures

Last note on failed mot on September. Engine mil inoperative or indicates a malfunction
can this be solved by pulling a fuse so the light does not show?
Thanks in advance for your help, knowlege and guidance.

David

Last edited by davmonag on 27th Oct 2019 5:22pm. Edited 5 times in total

Post #532300 27th Oct 2019 3:36pm
davmonag

United Kingdom 

Thanks Dolphin Boy.

Where is the auction?

Post #532302 27th Oct 2019 3:38pm
davidsmith1307

United Kingdom 

Under cover fitted so can not view.
Probably means that they can't see the bottom of the engine to check for leaks as the undertray is fitted.

Post #532304 27th Oct 2019 3:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>