Home > Technical (L322) > Removing CVD dampers and replacing for standard
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
MarianaWestminster

United Kingdom 
Removing CVD dampers and replacing for standard

Hi everyone,

I've come to my wits end with the crap CVD suspension fitted to my 2010 AB.

I want to fit the standard shocks as fitted to an 06-10 tdv8.

Now I'm sure these will physically fit and bolt up however I'm going to be left with an adaptive dynamics fault which will disable other features.

Could it be as simple as writing the ccf to tell the car CVD is not fitted?

Has anyone done this before?

Post #540408 13th Jan 2020 11:10am
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville

I would expect that changing the CCF setting for CVDs to not-fitted would do the job although you might also have to remove the CVD power supply fuse.

What problems are you having with the CVDs? I replaced my MY10 D4 specifically to get the CVDs.

Post #540411 13th Jan 2020 11:21am
MarianaWestminster

United Kingdom 

My problem with the CVDs is they are so stiff.

I run 20 inch alloys with 255 55 20 tyres and if running at recommended pressures of 33 psi front 36 rear the car literally bangs over potholes in the road.

The suspension doesnt seem to have any give or travel which gives a harsh and firm ride.

We have spoken before about recalibration which I have tried what feels like a million times on different does surfaces and at different speeds but this hasn't really helped.

All I can do is air the tyres down to 30 psi to make the ride bearable but then the steering is too heavy.

I'm fed up as this isnt a luxury type ride like my previous 2009 plate Westminster tdv8 or my friends 07 vogue se tdv8.

Car is a 2010 autobiography with 120k miles

Post #540416 13th Jan 2020 11:38am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Try changing the CCF and unplugging the shockers... Go for a drive and see if it flags up an error... Thumbs Up

Post #540420 13th Jan 2020 11:45am
GraemeS

Did your 09 have 20" rims and does your friend's 07 have 20" rims? Even if they were both 20" the difference in ride of different tyre brands can be significant.

I suggest that you swap rims with your friend for a test. I didn't like the ride of the 255/50R20 on mine when I first got it so fitted the 19" rims from my previous D4 until I bought 275/55R20. Even though the 275s were LT the ride was much better than the 255/50 and better than the 19" too. I still have 275/55R20 but in Pirelli AT+ which are passenger, not LT so the ride is better again even though their load index is 113.

Post #540426 13th Jan 2020 12:24pm
kooky_guy

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I've got the opposite problem on mine and I'm running 21s.

The ride is absolutely fine and potholes etc are barely noticed. But going cornering is pretty wallowy. 2010 4.4 TDV8 Vogue SE

Post #540440 13th Jan 2020 2:17pm
MarianaWestminster

United Kingdom 

My 09 had 20 inch alloys with 255 50 20 toyo proxes t1 SUV.

My friends 07 has 20 inch alloys with 255 55 20 general grabber AT.

My AB came with 255 50 20 avon ZX7 and I changed to 255 55 20 Goodyear eagle f1 to improve the ride quality.

Its slightly better but no where near the soft ride of a tdv8 without cvd.

I dont think another change of tyres will make the difference I am looking for.

Post #540446 13th Jan 2020 3:04pm
MarianaWestminster

United Kingdom 

Kooky does yours have cvd damping?

If I put 21s on mine it would ride like a brick

Post #540447 13th Jan 2020 3:05pm
MarianaWestminster

United Kingdom 

Sorry for all the posts but I felt I should clarify that I have driven a 2011 4.4 tdv8 with CVD which is fitted with the 255 50 20 avons I removed from mine and the ride is just as terrible.

Post #540449 13th Jan 2020 3:09pm
GraemeS

Replacing the front struts with non-genuine non-cvd versions sounds like it may be worthwhile for you, noting that the rear cvds will be at their default firmest for the test. If that makes the ride at the front what you want then continue with replacing the rears and disabling cvds in the ccf. Ensure that the removed shocks/struts are stored upright if storing for an extended time.

Post #540490 13th Jan 2020 8:50pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

I went from a non cvs 07 to a 12 plate CVD car. The 07 on Michelin Diamaris and the 12 on Pirelli. Mine doesn’t crash over potholes.....tbh I cant remember there being a massive difference in the ride quality between the 2 cars. The 21 May corner a bit flatter, but on the crap B road to my village which has many pot holes, they were very similar if I remember .

See if you can borrow some scorpions, they are the tyres the car was designed for, bit I doubt they will make a huge difference. The only noticeable difference in ride between tyres I’ve noticed was when j put my set of 19” scorpion winters on. It was noticeably smoother with those on. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #540493 13th Jan 2020 9:15pm
aljo

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE 2.0 PHEV Santorini Black

Could this be an electrical problem ? the reason i say this is that i have the same problem on a 2016 L405 and every so often

the ride is unbeilievably harsh (no warnings or fault codes stored) and can feel every slight blemish in the road surface Big Cry

If I turn the dsc off the ride smoothes out most of the potholes /etc would the cvd dampers still be operating ?

Then with no reason the ride will revert back to normal ?

20" wheels with factory fit tyres so can eliminate the tyres causing the problem 30psi front & 34psi rear

Im at my wits end with this also Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where,s the f**king ceiling!!

Post #540498 13th Jan 2020 10:12pm
MarianaWestminster

United Kingdom 

Sounds very similar aljo.

Must admit that's not what I wanted to hear from an L405 owner as it is ultimately my goal to upgrade to one (albeit an earlier car than yours)

I have driven a 19 plate on 20s (255/55/20) and found the ride acceptable.

I have often wondered myself if it's an electrical fault as my l322 will once in a blue moon ride O.K. still far below what I expect of a range rover but at least tolerable and then suddenly it's like someones took a welder to the shocks and turned them into a solid tube!

I couldnt find any fault codes with SDD and I went to the effort of checking the data being reported to the adaptive damping module from various sensors was plausible.

I think in the case of my car it is my opinion that the system is crap and doesnt smooth out road imperfections as the standard dampers do.

I have spoken to other owners of CVD equipped cars and found them to describe it as being like driving on a cloud!

I will look into the cost of replacing everything and mull it over.

Are the height sensors and rear bags the same as a standard system do we know?

Post #540505 13th Jan 2020 11:02pm
aljo

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE 2.0 PHEV Santorini Black

If I can manage to understand why the ride is better with the dsc switched off then I may be closer to solving the puzzle Big Cry
but to make matters worse when the ride is ok and I turn the dsc off the ride gets slightly harsher Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

This may be my last landrover Big Cry yes its that bad Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where,s the f**king ceiling!!

Post #540513 13th Jan 2020 11:34pm
GraemeS

Switching off DSC on both the L322 and L405 (and L494 too) increases damper stiffness. If the ride is smoother with DSC off then the dampers aren't working properly, possibly due to the seals being worn allowing too much fluid to pass or the mechanical valves not sealing properly. Try with DSC off but if not enough of a change then remove the connector from the top of 1 front strut as this totally disables the softening of all dampers . The ride should be very firm as this is maximum firmness but if the ride is now much better then the dampers are much too soft due to wear or valve failure.

The ride on my L322 became quite harsh with normal driving and had very poor slow movement damping so either I found a way to re-calibrate the dampers or replace them at considerable cost. I know that my dampers are worn but after re-calibration this only shows-up when towing my 2.5T caravan at speed on undulating surfaces where slow-speed damping is inadequate but OK with normal driving. My vehicle has travelled 115K kms.

Edit: Check that the 3 accelerometers used by the CVD module are firmly fixed. Also ensure that the wheels are well balanced because shaking of any corner will adversely affect CVD operation.

Post #540526 14th Jan 2020 3:34am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>