Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Where did that cloud of smoke come from?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 13 <123 45 ... 111213>
Print this entire topic · 
AJGalaxy2012

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

But as dennij says, oil dilution is a problem, he really does need to get to the bottom of it why the regen isnt running correctly. BMW i3 Electric Car
2012 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8 (now gone)
2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi V6

Post #567501 19th Sep 2020 7:03pm
dennij

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Buckingham Blue

I think if I could get it do one regeneration to get the soot level below 17g then at least I know it won't be constantly diluting the oil. I will run it around a bit and check again in a few hundred miles to see what the levels are reading. All the readings would suggest that the regeneration is being called for but despite all the exhaust temperatures getting up to the correct levels the soot either isn't being burnt off, or the pressure sensor isn't recording it properly. The DPF was cleaned during the latest round of work that was carried out and I suspect filled up again whilst the garage drove it around trying to find the cause of the DPF filling too quickly. No lights have yet appeared on the dash as the soot level is just below the level to trigger one. Like so many others on here, I could really do with Pat at IID adding a forced regeneration option, as other tools are available that claim to be able to do this, I'm not sure why he is so against it.

I will post up another screen shot in a week or so to show the current level but won't be driving round with the tool connected the whole time, my hair is receding enough without me giving it yet another reason to leave me Rolling with laughter 2011 TDV8 Vogue SE

Post #567576 21st Sep 2020 6:48am
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

Dennij,

Here is what my indie did for mine, which appears to have exactly the same symptoms as yours (we are in a very select club; most LR people claim they haven't even seen our fault before! Shocked )

he identified that the DPF wasn't anywhere near full via the back pressure test (2psi - should be around 15 psi if filling up), then reset differential pressure sensor and DPF adaptation values, leading to a zero reading.

Car driving and regenning fine now. can you get a back pressure test done? It is simple and cheap and can point out if the sensor is mis-reading, hence demanding a regen but the other sensors are saying "no, its fine there is no build up" but cant stop the regen attempts nor the oil dilution during the attempts.

Post #567823 23rd Sep 2020 11:39am
dennij

Got to be worth a try dolphinboy, I will see what I can find regarding the testing. Typical that we end up being members of a 2 person club Big Cry 2011 TDV8 Vogue SE

Post #567840 23rd Sep 2020 2:24pm
Dolphinboy

I quite like being exclusive!

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #567841 23rd Sep 2020 2:32pm
dennij

UPDATE- I drove the car to work on Tuesday, a trip of around 20 miles, half of which is 60MPH country lanes and left it there until today when I swapped from the company vehicle back to my own. On driving home I noticed the MPG slowly climbing (nothing great just by 0.1 at a time) which was a bit of a surprise as this would imply that my car wasn’t trying to do a regen. On arriving home I plugged in my diagnostics to see what options I had regarding dolphinboys comments ( thanks for the input dolphinboy, much appreciated 👍🏻) and whilst scrolling through the list I came to the part that gave me a DPF soot measure. Imagine my surprise then when the reading was 11.7g Very Happy

Last time I looked at this it varied between 19g and 21g and seemed to stay in a loop between these figures causing an attempted regen to be running all the time diluting my oil. Now I haven’t made any changes to the vehicle as I wanted to get some miles under my belt before carrying out any other work. So it seems that my car has decided that it now wants to work correctly, I can only assume that somehow the software or sensors have settled down or took a while to reset and are now doing what they are supposed to do. For the first time in ages I got out of the car feeling chuffed and with a degree of confidence that has been severely lacking of late. Fingers crossed this is the end of this rather expensive saga.

A massive thank you to everyone that has commented on this post, pointing me in possible areas to check and for keeping my spirits up, which at times was definitely needed Thumbs Up 2011 TDV8 Vogue SE

Post #567922 24th Sep 2020 4:10pm
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Great news.

For any period of 50MPH or above, it should do 'maintenance' burns with temps in the mid-to-high-400° range.
(a full regeneration is mid-600° range

These 'maintenance' burns tend to knock a few grams off your calculated soot.

Sounds like that's what happened on your run today.

So yes sounds like it's running as it should Thumbs Up

. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #567924 24th Sep 2020 4:24pm
Dolphinboy

Great news. Looks like to has settled down. Don't get sucked into monitoring the levels daily!! but keep an eye on it every week or 10 days or so just to see if it is still behaving.

Glad it seems to be sorted for both of us !! (holds breath! Shocked )

Post #567927 24th Sep 2020 4:27pm
dennij

Well the success was short lived, last week I had the yellow DPF message appear when I arrived at work which meant me not really looking forward to the drive home. Thankfully the motorway is just a few miles from there so I could at least give it a run. Spent over 30 mins on the motorway and the warning wouldn't go away so ended up driving home. When I parked up I still had the yellow warning, something for another day I thought. Decided to wait until I could plan a good long journey to give it time to have a good opportunity to regen fully, over 100 motorway miles later I still had the yellow DPF warning. Finally arrived at my destination and just before I parked up it went out so I took a reading, 24g of soot Shocked

Left the car for around 4 hours and took the longer scenic drive home on the A roads (5 hours) still no yellow warning and when I got home found that the IID tool showed 26.8g why no warning?

Totally fed up at this point I just left the car and if I had a garage, would probably have parked it up, locked the door and threw the key away. As it is though I have to look at it on the drive everyday so decided to try another drive, shortly after I started it threw the red DPF. There were some choice words expressed and some name calling of the car and I decided to just plug in the diagnostics and tell it that a new DPF had been fitted just to clear the red warning (not ideal and I do not recommend doing this). So this weekend I will once again reluctantly climb into the driving seat and drive back up the motorway with the IID on live values to see what occurs.

Picture below shows the IID readings when I arrived home after the 5 hour drive.(Note there were no warning messages at this point)

I have also reset the oil counter to zero as I'm not spending out on new oil and filter if the next trip doesn't change anything (again, not advised or recommended)

Click image to enlarge
 2011 TDV8 Vogue SE

Post #570008 16th Oct 2020 1:12pm
Dolphinboy

Dennij,

Really sorry to hear this. I am also in the same boat again. car going back to indie for investigation. Car drives absolutely fine. Have you checked your fault codes?

Last night the yellow DPF light came on as I was driving home. The soot level was reading 25.3. As I was near the motorway I went for a 60 mph jaunt for some 15 miles. During that time a regen kicked in and the level went down from 25.5 to 25.0 but then stopped going down. However it went back up to 25.3 after I left the motorway to go home.

The difference this time was I got a fault code come up which had never appeared before. P2459 (6C). These are some of the possible causes I can find. However a number of these would throw up a fault code and I only have the one above.

The ones which I think may be especially relevant to my vehicle are:

no.16 - my Iid tool had previously registered a large number of water in fuel alerts before I bought it.
No.11 - Fuel temp sensor B. This seems to make sense to me as a strong logical possibility
No. 5 - Poss wire damage/shorting out?
No.6 - PCM error?
No.7. Poss EGR fault? Woud a fault not show up?
No.10 - throttle body position sensor, but would this again not throw up a fault?

These are all the potential causes for this code I can find on the web, including ford engine websites.

1. Defective DPF pressure sensor
2. Faulty exhaust pressure sensor
3. Incorrect/Insufficient diesel exhaust fluid
5. Shorted or open wiring to the DPF injection system
6.Defective PCM or a PCM programming error
7. Clogged/collapsed DPF pressure sensor hoses/lines
8. Excessive air inflow caused by a vacuum leak, a dirty sensor or an exhaust gas recirculation valve not closing properly.
9. If the problem is not enough fuel, the culprit may be dirty injectors or fuel filters, a weak fuel pump or a leaky fuel pressure regulator.
10.Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit Intermittent
11. Fuel Temperature Sensor B Circuit Range/Performance
12. Exhaust leak
13. Improperly installed or loose Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT)
14. Low engine compression
15. Corroded fuel injector
16. Water in the fuel system

Post #570011 16th Oct 2020 1:33pm
Dolphinboy

These are my readings

Post #570013 16th Oct 2020 1:37pm
GGDR

dennij ok so why didn't it regenerate?

the basics are: you need more than 1/4 tank of fuel
and ideally you would be using cruise control at over 50mph.
(no revs or lower gears needed)

Ideally when you are driving you would also be monitoring exhaust temps like this:

otherwise you are blind and can't tell if a regen is happening.

It goes up in steps of about 100° until in reaches over 600°. And you can watch the soot level fall too.

what you can do is buy a DA-DPF tool and, with your IID Tool you will be able to remove the red and force it to regenerate.

The DA-DPF forces a regeneration past a few of the more fickle ECU criteria.

I've been there on the DPF red cliff edge myself! But don't give up!

. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Post #570014 16th Oct 2020 1:49pm
Dolphinboy

This was the starting reading last week as I did a 60 mile mortorway trip

Click image to enlarge

This was on return home last week. Note number of attempted regens!! Shocked

Click image to enlarge

However the good news is that my DPF fill rate is extremely low (only 1g per 30 miles which I am reliably informed is much better than the expected (by the LR DPF designer) 1g per 10 miles. here are the reading for yesterday when the yellow light came on and I went for a Motorway drive.
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #570015 16th Oct 2020 1:55pm
GGDR

Dolphinboy have you also though about getting a DA-DPF tool ?

Your ECU might need more brutal persuasion to permit the regeneration and this is what the DA-DPF does.

EDIT: at 23.5 it should (or anything over 18g I think) command it's own regeneration which it clearly isn't.
. Cheers, Greg

Post #570016 16th Oct 2020 1:58pm
GGDR

For £180 it is the same cost as a few hours labour at a garage and you get to keep it (and sell it on later)

https://www.diagnostic-associates.com/prod...ion-device

For me it's essential kit and it keeps me sane.

. Cheers, Greg

Post #570017 16th Oct 2020 2:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 13 <123 45 ... 111213>