Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Squeeking behind dash
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Garnerj

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black
Squeeking behind dash

Hey folks, looking for some thoughts on an issue that I can’t seem to track down.

I have a 2011 tdv8 vogue se which I absolutely love but have an annoying noise (intermittent) coming from behind the dash, it’s kind of like a squeeking noise you get opening a door that needs the hinge oiling! Appears to be coming from behind the right hand side of the console (behind where the starter button is on a rhd).

Strangely I thought it may have been a squeeking brake pedal as it does seem to tie in with breaking lost of the time but not always and the pedal and all its parts seem lubricated fine too.

My current thinking is that it related to the climate control system in some way as it doesn’t happen if I have that turned off I don’t believe. I’m wondering if perhaps it’s a flap of some sort opening and closing that needs lubricating.

I have tried to record the noise but as it’s intermittent it’s very difficult and the one time I did the recording didn’t pick it up! Typical!

The issue appears worse in hot weather, which may be related to the amount of work that the CC is doing or maybe due to plastic parts expanding in heat perhaps.

My gut feels is that it’s some sort of plastic flap that need lubricating but I’d appreciate any thoughts you guys may have. Cue comments about lubricating flaps! 😂🤣😂🤣

Last edited by Garnerj on 28th Apr 2020 4:44pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #551903 28th Apr 2020 7:29am
rjff

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

I wonder if it could be the vent control stepper motor.

One thread just started here

https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic55341.html

and perhaps a search for stepper motor will help. Cheers
Richard

(there are no such things as an ordinary FullFat, an ordinary cat or too many tools)
2011 TDV8 Vogue Santorini Black
Gap IIDBT

Post #551959 28th Apr 2020 2:11pm
Garnerj

thanks rjff. Stepper motor, thats the term i needed I think! Smile

Post #551967 28th Apr 2020 2:41pm
rjff

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

Thumbs Up Cheers
Richard

(there are no such things as an ordinary FullFat, an ordinary cat or too many tools)
2011 TDV8 Vogue Santorini Black
Gap IIDBT

Post #552030 29th Apr 2020 7:55am
Garnerj

I am pretty sure I now know what this is....

Thanks for the info from all so far, I now think Im pretty sure I know what it is.

Its the Ram Air Door on the cabin air intake thats squeaking as its opening and closing, this would explain why it is heard when slowing down as the decrease ins peed caused the door to open thus letting in more air!

Im pretty sure it just needs a bit of silicon lubrication and it should clear up!

This is part of the main air distribution system and I dont want to be having to rip that out so my next challenge is to work out how I can get to it without having to do that. The door itself is in the inlet on main unit behind the dash just after it comes through the bulkhead. I cant seem to see down that far if i take the cabin filter out though which is a shame as Im pretty sure its only a foot or so down there!

Part of me is wondering if there would be any harm in turning the system off so the door is closed and loading the air inlet up with a fine spray of lubricant and then opening her up and seeing if she lubricates herself! Not sure if thats a good idea though, best case a face full of silicon lubricant and no squeak, worse case something catastrophic.

Any thoughts folks?

Post #552130 30th Apr 2020 11:09am
Joe90

England 

Quote:
opening her up and seeing if she lubricates herself

ooer missus !! Laughing .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #552131 30th Apr 2020 11:23am
Joe90

England 

Can you get at it if you remove the dash top ? .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #552133 30th Apr 2020 11:25am
Garnerj

Shows I have not done that much reading up, I though the dash came off as one piece like my old p38 does. Will have a look at that. I have also just had the thought of perhaps being able to take the pollen filter housing out and that may give me clear access. Just gotta see how easy that is or whether loads of other stuff has to come out first!

Post #552152 30th Apr 2020 12:54pm
Joe90

England 

Removing cabin/pollen filter housing

IIRC you have to loosen off a nut to move the aircon pipes out of the way on the RHS (other side to battery), lift the rubber strip, then undo the two 13mm nuts and pull!

Will then be about positioning yourself on top of the engine to get an arm in there... - make sure the heater fan is turned off! .
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Post #552166 30th Apr 2020 3:14pm
Garnerj

I can confirm that I am able to get to the affected area through removing the cabin filter, thanks for the suggestions folks. A quick blast of silicone hasn’t solved the issue though so I will have a better look over the weekend.

Any suggestions welcome to other things to try.

Thanks folks.

Post #554036 16th May 2020 8:22am
Ajmngn

Did this ever get sorted or have you worked out if it was what you first thought? I’m having a similar issue with a chirp/squeak from behind the dash so curious as to the outcome. TYIA! Andy

2010 4.4TDV8 Vogue SE in Santorini Black with Ivory interior
2017 Audi SQ5 3.0 V6T Quattro in Volcano Red

Post #642905 13th Sep 2022 9:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1