Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > Should I buy my first Range Rover....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 6 <123456
Print this entire topic · 
jackcramerr

Chalky wrote:
jackcramerr wrote:
It is your money. Do what you like to do with it.

Personally, I tend to buy used ones. That is what I can afford. If I could afford new, I'd buy new. Never on lease or finance. Straight cash. Lease and finance is living beyond means, however someone tried to justify it.

Living beyond ones means? Only if you can't afford it in the first place. Finance is perfectly ok especially if you have other cash commitments and don't want to spend a lump of cash.

If you have commitments then you are not in the position I am afraid. The money should be ... you can burn it away and you won't feel it. At one point I could afford a 1500 pound car that if I totalled it, it would not bother. On paper I could probably be gangsta. I don't think it was the time to be gangsta.

Finance was there so people could afford to drive a car so they can get it about their necessities. But now people are using it on luxury purchases. But remember ... however much someone says it's their car... it isn't if it is on finance or lease. Save that monthly expense and get it on cash when you have it.

I might sell my car due to covid but I am not scared for any monthly outgoings. And this will just be a bonus.

I guess I am conservative Very Happy

Post #559057 25th Jun 2020 11:06pm
Boatmechanic

Sweden 

jackcramerr wrote:
10 or 20% is huge! Sales man do not see you as sucker this mindset needs to change. They have their job on the line so they will want to make a deal. They will be sweating it.
I have never got anything like that. I think those days of haggling are over as you couldn't know what else is around. Everything is online and comparable. Margins are tight else they won't be able to sell anything.

Back in the day we used to get discount on luxury items like watches. All that has changed. Just ask them for upgrades or ceramic coat etc as I don't think you will get anything remotely near 10%. They might stop responding to you and take it as an insult... saying this from my experience.

Well, that is your experience, but it is certainly not mine.

I took delivery today of a used L405 from Germany. I negotiated the price down to 15% below the initial asking price and on top got the dealer to pay the transport to me, which is a distance of more than 1000 km. It took some work, though, but I consider it effort well-spent. Of course, COVID-19 was a factor, too.

The previous, and first, car I bought in Germany, I brought down 9% over the course of an afternoon. I had help of a German friend. One visit to the dealer, then lunch, then a few more rounds of negotiation. That car was very well priced to begin with, and I was under some time pressure.

I realise that everyone does not find this entertaining - most people find it outright unpleasant - but you are sticking your head in the sand if you think that you cannot negotiate.

Post #559159 26th Jun 2020 8:41pm
jackcramerr

I am surprised.

I have missed out cars when I tried to lower it 1000 pounds. One RR I wanted was listed for 62k and they offered at 61,500. I stuck to 60,000. Dealer sold it for 61,500.

There was a merc I wanted. Same story. Actually I need to recall but I will have lots of stories like this. Some outright stop responding to me calls.
I love response of a BMW dealer when I negotiated price and first give my offer and he said "is that for the rims and tyres". I found it offending the way he responded.

I dislike when they ignore you and they reply 'sold'. The cars you got might have a catch. Less sort after? Low spec? I don't know.. the cars I call for the receptionist even knows about it because of the interest.

Post #559224 27th Jun 2020 1:13pm
Andy S

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Aintree Green

Lots of ways to buy cars and it’s all about what works best for you. I have two cars, neither are daily drivers; one is a Mini JCW, ex demonstrator bought for cash and mostly used by Mrs S. For a Mini it was eye wateringly expensive, but it’s a car we both enjoy and we intend to keep it for years - we had our last JCW for 8 years - so it’s cost is now sunk and we don’t think about it. It’s ours to enjoy for as long as we want it.

The other car is the FFRR. Like all the Land Rovers I have had in the last 20 years, it is bought on finance. I can certainly afford to buy it outright, but that would deplete my capital. Instead I pay out a deposit, which I have from the bonus I earn in most years and pay the finance costs from salary. I have no mortgage and a relatively high income, so not a stretch for me. Meanwhile, my savings remain invested and earning a return, instead of being sunk into a wasting asset. I only buy when I get a good bonus and set a strict limit on monthly payments of no more than 20% of net salary. This works for me. I wouldn’t contemplate buying any kind of car on finance if I didn’t know I could pay it off immediately.

The other thing to bear in mind is that buying on finance often gets you a bigger discount because there’s more in the finance package for the dealer than there is in the car itself. That’s why they push it so hard and manage to sell expensive cars to folk that can’t really afford them.

Post #559231 27th Jun 2020 1:59pm
Bl4ckD0g

Netherlands 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

I’ve never not got a discount, simply will not pay list or display price for things like cars. There is always money in it, and if there isn’t then they paid too much when they bought it. As the saying goes you make your money when you buy it, not when you sell it. Wink

Regarding finance, it all depends, I think it’s silly to dismiss it straight away. Each vehicle I assess as a total cost to purchase. And yes, sometimes it’s cheaper to do that on finance then it is paying cash. One would be silly not to take advantage of that. I think generalisations like living in ones means if buying a car on finance is just that a generalisation. The smart person takes advantage of a situation, and as said before you make your money when you buy it. So if one can get a further discount by financing the vehicle then why not?

Post #559237 27th Jun 2020 2:43pm
jackcramerr

How do you win with finance? You are paying interst. Whatever you do, you end up paying more than what is worth... guys do some basic math...
I am not saying don't do it. It is your money, your life. I am saying it is bad decision.

One of my friends sells 6 cars a day on finance and he says of them 4 can just afford to buy it and they have to play about with things. Now that is gangsta beyond means.

So if I think I need to invest money else where, I can sell the car knowing I did not loose on interest and I do not have to deal with balloon payments. It is worrying when finance is seen as a norm. It should be seen as an abnormal circumstantial (not sure if this is a word) decision.

Post #559440 28th Jun 2020 11:36pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

It really depends on how you would manage the cash you don’t spend. If you have an equivalent pile of money to invest, and under your guidance it is making more than the interest rate you are paying on the finance then it makes sense to some degree.

Not that I would buy a new car on finance. The depreciation alone would mean you would be a genius if you could invest and keep up..... There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #559449 29th Jun 2020 7:54am
Bl4ckD0g

Netherlands 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

jackcramerr wrote:
How do you win with finance? You are paying interst. Whatever you do, you end up paying more than what is worth... guys do some basic math...
I am not saying don't do it. It is your money, your life. I am saying it is bad decision.

One of my friends sells 6 cars a day on finance and he says of them 4 can just afford to buy it and they have to play about with things. Now that is gangsta beyond means.

So if I think I need to invest money else where, I can sell the car knowing I did not loose on interest and I do not have to deal with balloon payments. It is worrying when finance is seen as a norm. It should be seen as an abnormal circumstantial (not sure if this is a word) decision.

Easy, just do some basic math Wink

Option 1; finance contribution provider a big discount on the car that otherwise isn’t available.
Option 2; some cars are cheaper on lease due to discount to the lease company that you as an individual won’t be able to get.
Option 3; again if there is a finance contribution on PCP then grab it and get the discount and pay it off in full during the initial period as per the law.

Dismissing it out of hand is silly, do the sums of the total cost of ownership and then decide. There simply isn’t a fixed answer and pretending there is, is foolish.

Post #559485 29th Jun 2020 2:23pm
Martin2

England 

That's what I've always done, take the (expected) total cost of ownership for the different options and divide that back over the time I expect to keep the car.

I've ended up with a different answer for the last 4 cars I've bought

1) PCP - After having a company car for nearly 20 years and the policy changed, so I needed to buy my own car. My annual mileage was around 30k and I was used to having new cars. A PCP on a new 535d was cheaper than buying a 6 month old one on finance/bank loan as I didn't have the cash to buy outright. Worked out cheaper than I thought in the end as I gave it back with 6 months to go and it was in negative equity
2) PCP - Bought a Golf R for my wife just under 2 years ago, there was a £2.5k incentive for using VAG finance, I paid it over after 2 weeks
3) Bank Loan - Bought an ex demo 7 series 2 years ago cash a £25k bank loan to help protect my savings, only cost £750 in interest as I paid it off over 2 years
4) Cash - Used the value of the 750 plus cash to buy the RR a couple of weeks ago. Could have taken out another low interest loan, which may have been more sensible, but it feels good to be debt free MY23 Panamera E-Hybrid
MY19 SDV8 Autobiography - Sold

Post #559488 29th Jun 2020 2:43pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

There's no right answer and a lot of variables.

Buy an appreciating asset, a property for example, rent it out & then use the income stream to fund a car - might yield a better long term result in buying the car & watching it depreciate to zero..... then again, it might not.

Post #559492 29th Jun 2020 3:07pm
luxmoggy

Germany 2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Montalcino Red

Well, I have ordered some rims for winter tyres. Even before doing a deal for the car. I am pretty sure I am going to buy it.
I went to a local RR garage to test drive another one. But that didn't work the battery had gone flat, and couldn't even be jumped started.
I am trying another local garage to test the SDV6. More to remind me what driving an RR feels like - it has been a couple of years since my last test drive.
I am getting excited which also helps me to know I am doing the right thing.

Post #559843 1st Jul 2020 9:37pm
Lyonhead

Wales 2019 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Loire Blue

Luxmoggy,

I really hope you manage to do a deal and get what you are after. It is your decision at the end of the day and there has been some good advice given on here by some very experienced Range Rover owners.

Only you in the end will make the decision and if you drive the car and it feels, smells and drives as you want the car to drive and ultimately puts a huge smile on your face then that will be the one for you.

Good luck and enjoy the experience of researching, driving and purchasing the car you want.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 19MY SVA-Dynamic Spectral Chromoflair Blue but colour not available in profile
2016 RRS SVR Estoril Blue - Gone
2010 RRS 5.0 Supercharged Navara Bronze - Gone
2008 RRS 4.2 Supercharged Black - Gone
2006 RRS 2.7 Diesel Rimini Red- Gone

Post #559855 1st Jul 2020 10:37pm
luxmoggy

Germany 2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Montalcino Red

So finalising the deal at the moment, all going well.

One the car looks I would maybe like change the Atlas to Dark Atlas... but haven’t found part numbers the the grill, tailgate trim and the letters. Any ideas of where I might find them?

Post #561016 11th Jul 2020 4:16pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Are you buying from a main dealer ? If so, just ask them - or even add it as part of the deal.

Post #561031 11th Jul 2020 5:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 6 <123456