Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > To Caravan or not to Caravan
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor
To Caravan or not to Caravan

I currently go on little jaunts with my tent and all the gubbins that goes with it, electric cool box, gas cooker, gas oven, 10mm double bed pad and a double sleeping bag etc etc. The one thing that won't go with me is SWMBO neither would she in a caravan (or a narrow boat for that matter - but thats another story). I think we both find that a plus Very Happy

However, I am increasingly drawn to a Caravan, for the better and more comfortable facilities but although lesss faff erecting although it might be a faff to tow. I obviously have the tow vehicle but I have to say I'm a bit scared of towing (never even towed a trailer) I just have a bike rack on the back.

I might not do it but some advice from the experts would be appreciated, should I start small and work up to a bigger van (that being said it only needs to sleep one person - although that person is well over 6ft). Are there training courses or should I just give it a try (what can possibly go wrong) or can I hire one. So many questions and at the end of it all I may well stick with the tent although at my age sleeping on the ground get less attractive by the year.

As I say I may well not do it (yet) but if anyone has the time I would appreciate any pearls of wisdom from the experienced. Geoff

Post #565427 25th Aug 2020 10:32am
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I assume you have space to store a caravan ?

There are courses to learn to tow.

Us old folk have it on our licence by default, but the youngsters have to sit an additional test

I'd start by figuring out whether you want to tow something.

Trailer tent is the halfway house.....

Post #565429 25th Aug 2020 10:48am
kevin-t

United Kingdom 

If the other half isn't going, and no mention of ankle biters.
Have you thought of a camper van?
Might be your best option.
vw camper van, or the likes of.
Just a thought.

Post #565430 25th Aug 2020 10:55am
rjff

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

Hi Geoff,

Long time camper here. Now have converted to a caravan last year and been locked out this year Rolling Eyes. Only reason to change to a 'van is SWMBO has developed bad arthritus and can't get out of the tent.

Towing is not a probelm properly done (loading, wheights etc). My suggestion is, search for a caravan towing course, put tent in car and have break nearby. If you're happy with towing then start looking at vans, thinking of what you will need and what are extra goodies.

Search caravan towing courses, HGV trainers do them as do the Caravan Club and sister organistions. The come back with your thoughts to the folks here.

If you do get a 'van, make sure you take the tent, you can bet your bottom dollar you'll end up at a great spot miles for the 'van and want to stop. Cheers
Richard

(there are no such things as an ordinary FullFat, an ordinary cat or too many tools)
2011 TDV8 Vogue Santorini Black
Gap IIDBT

Last edited by rjff on 25th Aug 2020 11:20am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #565432 25th Aug 2020 11:20am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

borrow or rent a caravan Geoff...try it and if its not what you were expecting then you havnt lost much... ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #565433 25th Aug 2020 11:20am
Baltic Blue

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Baltic Blue

Back to Alistair’s point regarding licence.
Just check what groups you get when you reach 70.
I used to have group H for track steered vehicles, plus HGV’s up to 7 tonne, but lost them on my renewal at 70 unless I paid extra for a medical etc.
I think some towing groups disappeared also, but because I had to submit my old licence can’t compare to be sure.
Mike. G reg 2.5VM Vogue Portofino red 1991- 1999
V reg 2.5td P38 Rioja red 1999- 2006
53 reg td6 Vogue Oslo blue 2006- 2015
11 reg 4.4 TdV8 Vogue SE. Baltic blue 2015- date.
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic56162...tty+affair

Post #565434 25th Aug 2020 11:30am
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

^^
As Mike says. Depending on your age renewal can require fairly frequent medicals which, as I understand it can be expensive. But then again you may be a youngster and not have that problem. Wink

The problem is that the weight of the FF soon takes any combination over the 3.5T limit for a B licence. You are restricted to something pretty light.

That's why the trailer tent or campervan ideas may be the way to go. Problem with the trailer tent is the seasonal use.

Regarding towing, some good suggestions re courses. You will soon get the hang of it. John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #565444 25th Aug 2020 1:01pm
Alistair

If you passed your test before 1997 then you can tow a higher limit - 8,250kg total MAM - on a B licence

https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-categories

I only ever passed the basic test, but my licence also has C1, D1, BE, C1E, D1E......

I'm not sure what they take away again with age though

Post #565446 25th Aug 2020 1:59pm
Mr Tee

Scotland 

Been towing a tin tent for a few years, my van is huge & just over 8 metres long. Took some adjusting to have that behind you, now looking at an 8 foot wide Adria but that can wait until this situation gets back to normal. Could easily sit at 90 on the motorway, having a twin axle, as it's effortless behind the sdv8.

I'd hire one as stan advises, easier than making a costly purchase then hating it.

My first trip was a baptism of fire, heading from Dundee to Balachulish , about 8 miles south of Fort William. Crapped myself as to which route to take , then just went for the direct route vie Crieff, Lochearn, Rannoch Moor, through Glencoe.

You just need the tally ho mentality and drive with the lights on all the time. To be fair when they see me coming they tend to notice and give me room.

Oh, and this is important, never, ever , ever use the sat nav in the car, unless you've checked the route . It has no clue you are towing, and we blindly followed it through Knaresborough in Yorkshire. Sat nav took us on a completely unsuitable road with high walls, narrow road with no pavement, wife cacked herself whilst i was giggling away, you just have to go for it , cause everyone is swearing at you.. I now love upsetting folk, especially when they think you will be slow AF away from the lights.. I went and bought an old fashioned map book, way easier to plan access into sites etc.

Post #565449 25th Aug 2020 2:12pm
paulwlincs

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

I've been towing a van for a long time , it's not for everyone but so long as you have the confidence and the desire it's good fun. I just took my time , stayed safe and learnt , but having the right towcar is vital , and you have one of the best in the world imho .
A training course is desirable as today's traffic is relentless and not patient , the road in front when towing is usually clear so no worries Rolling with laughter

Go for it . 2011 tdv8 4.4 vogue Santorini black

Post #565451 25th Aug 2020 2:26pm
supershuttle

I think I’ll go on a course. I’m not sure about licensing implication I’ve retired now and get a pension (so that gives you my approx age BTW not 70 yet Very Happy ) and I passed my test (got my licence) when I was 17 so I’ve had it a while so am guessing it must be OK. Geoff

Post #565461 25th Aug 2020 4:25pm
Alistair

If your eyesight is still up to it, there are a bunch of letters in section 9 of your driving licence.

I have C1 and C1E on mine & they are defined as -

Category C1
You can drive vehicles between 3,500 and 7,500kg MAM (with a trailer up to 750kg).

Category C1E
You can drive C1 category vehicles with a trailer over 750kg.

The combined MAM of both cannot exceed 12,000kg.

So I think I'm comfortably covered for a FFRR and caravan Thumbs Up

and I just realised the expiry date for each category is on the back..... and looks like 70

Post #565484 25th Aug 2020 8:24pm
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

If you passed your test before 1.1.1997, even after 70, so long as you have category B+E on your licence you can have a towing combined limit of 8250kg so no problem with a caravan. Thumbs Up

Post #565485 25th Aug 2020 8:36pm
Alistair

Mine are all showing an expiry date age 70 on the back of my licence - every category - though I think you just need to self declare to renew every 3 years after that......

Post #565486 25th Aug 2020 8:43pm
supershuttle

TBH I'm a bit surprised that this thread got mired in licensing stuff, I have checked and I'm OK having passed my test 50 years ago pretty much to the day, I did take and pass a full motorbike test in the meantime as well so thats also on there just in case I had a mid life crisis and bought myself a high powered motorbike (I'd probably be dead now according to SWMBO), actually I think I did it for a bet.

I think I will go on a course regardless as it sounds like I should and I guess it will be fun - and in fact most replies suggest I should.

Storage was something I didn't think about so I have learned something already. Geoff

Post #565487 25th Aug 2020 8:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>