Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > L405 2014 Vogue Knocking Noise
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 9 <123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

The funny thing is, having the new Defender built on a similar structure to the L405 is exactly what Bowler did with the Bulldog! I wonder if they were testing for JLR or if JLR were pinching off Bowler??? 😏😉👍

Post #572953 15th Nov 2020 7:54pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Curious....

Now that JLR own Bowler, is suspect that JLR might have been having a little play around without drawing too much attention to themselves. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #572965 15th Nov 2020 9:08pm
M99TYK

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Fuji White

So the engineers visit last week gave no conclusive results according to Mapfre, so they requested a second visit from a different engineer which happened today this time dismantling the oil pump and predominately examining its contents.

The MD seem to believe that Mapfre are looking to blame the failure on the service being 1300mi late. I’ve been told I should have a decision within 48h.

Post #573350 18th Nov 2020 7:09pm
charlie croker mk2

England 

You probably don't want to read this but the standard service interval is way to long for these engines and even with the very best Shell oil ( AF-L ). The oil ends up like dirty paraffin . I don't know how you have used the car but the general advice is to shorten the makers interval in harsh conditions . If your car really has gone circa 17,000 miles then the main bearing shells will have momentarily seized and locked the crank snapping it . If you end up having the choice of paying for a new engine or rebuilding the original ? personally I would get the original rebuilt by Walkers of Rochdale . Hope you can get this sorted out soon .

Post #573388 18th Nov 2020 9:56pm
M99TYK

I understand your point and in hindsight I would have done so although it’s maybes something that should be disclosed when the car is sold? As otherwise any reasonable person would expect to go by the manufacturers guidelines. In this case it is slightly different as I did try booking the vehicle in for a service but due to COVID I was unable prior to overrunning the schedule.

Post #573402 18th Nov 2020 11:19pm
northernmonkeyjones

At least they are engaging, they could have just said no....

Did the MD give any clues as to what the options are should Mapfre refuse? There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜

Post #573416 19th Nov 2020 8:44am
M99TYK

Not yet, they haven’t wanted to comment as they’re hopefully of it being resolved with Mapfre. They said we will cross that bridge when we come to it.

Post #573443 19th Nov 2020 2:12pm
M99TYK

The warranty company have declined to support my claim. A real bummer. They have closed the case with the engineers comments stating there was no sudden mechanical failure of a part and it’s due to wear an tear.

However, thankfully LR and Stratstone have come through and agreed to pay at a 60/40 split (LR paying 60). I have 2 options and I need some advice as I’m not sure which way to go.

Option 1: LR and Stratstone cover 100% of costs however I won’t get a warranty with the replacement.

Option 2: LR and Stratstone cover 90% of the cost and I pick up 10% and get a 2 year warranty on the engine only, however if I come to sell the vehicle the warranty is not transferable. I would pay between £1600 - £1800

Post #573885 24th Nov 2020 11:04am
dennij

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Buckingham Blue

I'm assuming that the 2 year warranty would cover the whole engine? If so, and you intend to keep the car for the next 2 years then I would opt for paying the 10% and have some comfort knowing that my engine was covered. If you were looking to move the car on within the next 6 months then I would take the 100% no warranty option, especially as it cannot be transferred.

Others may have a different view point so perhaps wait for a few more replies and see what the average opinion is.

Good luck with it all 2011 TDV8 Vogue SE

Post #573900 24th Nov 2020 1:10pm
M99TYK

Yes they are replacing the engine and turbos. The warranty will cover the work they are carrying out. I must admit I am leaning more towards selling in the near future because of the experience I have had. It’s unfortunate as I really do like the car but I’ll struggle with thinking every time I drive the car it’s going to be something else.

At this point I may still keep it for a while yet but not 100% so I suppose that depends on what the best option would be. They have started the work on the car so I’ve got until it’s ready to make my decision.

Post #573903 24th Nov 2020 1:37pm
dennij

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Buckingham Blue

In that case, if it were me and I was looking to sell on shortly after the work had been completed I would opt for the 100% payment. No point spending out for the repair if you are not going to reap the benefits and the warranty cannot be transferred. 2011 TDV8 Vogue SE

Post #573907 24th Nov 2020 2:03pm
nicksaab

2016 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

+1 on 100% option and move the car on asap.

Had a similiar issue but not as serious as yours with my 2016 4.4 VSE which just kept having a number of recurring faults which took multiple attempts by the dealer to resolve (car spent 12 weeks in the dealership in 12 months). I lodged a complaint with the Finance company (Landrover Finance) and although the majority of faults had now been resolved now they recently completed their investigation, found in my favour that the car was not fit for purpose and have taken the car back with a full refund. I bought the car in August 2019. When they made the offer I was hesitant as I still loved the car, but the long term it makes more sense financially to accept the offer and look for a replacement. It went off today...sad times but now I get the excitement of looking for another one.

I know you said previously that your finance company were not interested but it is your consumer rights to complain to them about the car - your hand is now strengthened with the fact that LR and the dealer are covering the costs in full to repair - that leads a lot of weight to the fit for purposeness of your car and may mean you don't lose out on any finance costs and depreciation if you were to sell the car on. Current Fleet:-
2018 Discovery 5 3.0 HSE
2021 Ford Ranger Wildtrack
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt 5.0 V8
1993 Defender 90 200TDI Pickup

Gone - not forgotten
2016 L405 4.4 SDV8 Vogue SE
2012 L322 4.4 Westminster
2004 L322 4.4 V8 Autobiography LE
2000 P38 RR 4.0 HSE (ex Clarkson test car)

Post #573926 24th Nov 2020 4:25pm
northernmonkeyjones

That’s a tricky choice,

Pay the money, keep the car, be assured that for the next few years that you are covered should it go bang again (bearing in mind that they don’t all do that... by any means) you will have a lovely new engine, and what should be trouble free motoring for at least 2 years...

Take the punt in it not going bang, keep the extra 1700 and put it some where safe to go towards the unlikely failure of of the new engine, as they mostly keep going nicely. Bearing in mind that you will be starting from scratch service wise, and able to keep up with a more rigorous maintenance schedule.

🤔 personally I would go with paying the money.running the car in the knowledge that it’s now a minter under the bonnet for a good few years. Drop the oil every 6000 miles, with a home oil change, it’s super easy, and keep it serviced as per the book for the rest of it. It is very unlikely to go bang again, so just enjoy it. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜

Post #573949 24th Nov 2020 7:37pm
M99TYK

*Update and final outcome*

The last couple of months have been very stressful. With the possibility of a £16,000+ bill for a replacement engine and x2 turbos. Finally we have come to a resolution and tonight I drove the car home!

Stratstone finally agreed to allow me to contribute 1% totalling just over £150 which gives me a 24 month unlimited mileage warranty which is also transferable. An outcome I did not see happening yesterday let alone 2 months ago. Over the moon is an understatement. In the end Stratstone and JLR split the remaining bill 49/50.

As I have said through my updates Stratstone have been great since I lodged the complaint, it’s unfortunate a complaint had to go in before any progress was made however those in senior positions at Land Rover and Stratstone started putting things right as soon as they were involved, firstly by sorting me a courtesy car and the changing it something more suitable and finally with the outcome. I hope others in similar positions are treated this way and can resolve their issues the way this one has been.

I’d like to thank all of you that have contributed to the post with your experiences and information it really has helped me along the way. Now to hopefully many more months and years of worry free driving.

Matt

Post #574340 27th Nov 2020 7:42pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

brilliant news Matt, a nice xmas present.. Thumbs Up ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #574341 27th Nov 2020 7:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 8 of 9 <123456789>