Home > Maintenance & Mods (L405) > Retrofit Deployable towbar - how to
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Ryanmt

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV6 Santorini Black

Cam-Tech-Craig wrote:
Ryanmt wrote:
Another minor update, if anyone wants to purchase the correct tow eye for the towbar its the same as an L322 or L494 one so readily obtained off ebay (I got one for £14 delivered).

Fitting the towbar removes the factory fit tow eye so if you ever end up with a dead car that needs pulling backwards you'll need one.

Surely you would just use the towbar no? Or am I missing something?

The constant risk of a total electrical failure preventing it deploying in a breakdown situation or my OCD in trying to ensure everything is as the factory intended. You choose Laughing

Post #663924 12th May 2023 9:12am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Ahh yes, didn’t factor in the good old JLR batteries! 😉🙄

Post #663946 12th May 2023 1:44pm
zenman63

England 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Indus Silver

We have some progress on the brackets C&D with all the data so can get them made identical.
I can get a few sets made so who’s interested?

Post #664360 17th May 2023 7:55pm
Ryanmt

I would be depending on price Thumbs Up

Post #664361 17th May 2023 8:07pm
zenman63

Price is dependent on who will buy them.
They will be water jet cut and folded and the nuts welded on and powered coated so not £10!

Post #664366 17th May 2023 8:48pm
Ryanmt

well if it gets too expensive I would be happy to buy them just cut and folded.

Post #664394 18th May 2023 8:39am
zenman63

Just to see what if any interest here a link.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155565829414?mk...media=COPY

Post #664618 21st May 2023 4:38pm
Frans

Netherlands 2014 Range Rover SDV6 Baltic Blue
Re: Retrofit Deployable towbar - how to

Hi,

I am Happy to see your info about the towing bar.
i nearly bought a spair from a RR Sport, they told me it should fit?

My 405 has one, but the electric and the gearbox are done.
I am looking for the replaceable parts for the gearbox and the electric motor?
I have find the electric part on Powerful....but that alone does not work.

The spindel is also a bit damaged

Or maybe you know the part number of part A so i can replace the whole bar.

Thanks for the info and i am sorry for my english
Iam dutch Wink

nicksaab wrote:
To retrofit a deployable towbar to an L405 here is what you need

Parts List - this covers the MY13-16 although later models have just some minor tweaks to the parts list

Towbar Set - - VPLGT0117

Includes
Towbar bar (A)
Towbar reinforcement frame (B)
Towbar reinforement L shaped brackets (C & D)
Bolts M10x37. (10) (G)
Bolts M12x40 (4) (F)
Bolts M12x50 (10) (H)

Now if you are buying off ebay make sure you get the frame (B) and the brackets (C&D)

B can be bought seperately (part number LR036694) but I haven't yet found C&D as seperate parts. They could be fabricated seperately but hold out for a second hand bar with all those bits. On the usual auction sites there plenty for sale without the reinforcement and the brackets but unless you are confident finding B,C & D I wouldn't bother. Also there are a few for sale which are listed as for the L405 but are actually L494 Sport versions. The L494 version of the actual towbar looks very similiar but has two small exhaust mounts on the front and the reinforcement frame is flared at the end - the 405 verstion is straight so it won't fit.

The frame - Part B seems to have been updated recently to remove the need for C&D but I don't know exact fit as I haven;'t seen one in the flesh so you may get lucky and not need C&D

If you want the bolts seperately then the part numbers are:-

LR034249 (M10x37) x 10
LR047359 (M12x40) x 10
LR046235 (M12x50) x 4

The rest of the parts:-

Towbar light electics (13pin) - often included on the second hand frames but if buying new you will need to buy this - VPLGT0073 - this has two connectors which connect directly to the connections behind the rear bumper which are fitted in the factory on all models

Towbar deployment module - CPLA 19H397-AF also known as VPLGT0215
Towbar deployment wiring loom - CPLA 140A01-AF also known as VPLGT0216 but includes the module

Plenty of modules on ebay but you'll need to hunt for the loom and may have to buy new. I got lucky and found a module with the loom included.
Module year MY17 and the MY18 onwards have a different module and loom

The loom has 3 connections - one to connect to the loom which the connector is behind the carpet in the spare wheel well below the tailgate. The 2nd large connector connects to the main connector on the towbar and the smaller connector connects to the buttons.

Towbar deployment buttons - CPLA 18X10 AB / VPLWT0123 - very expensive new but if you search the auction sites for the rear seat buttons you may find a complete button set - search for CPLA 14D340 AC and you might get lucky and find a set with the towbar buttons included.
MY17 onwards has a different set of buttons

Towbar bumper trim LR056299 - you can just cut your existing one if you have a steady hand. MY18 onwards may be slightly different.

To install there are detailed guides on topix - search for instal guide VPLGT0117 but here is a quick guide.

1. Disconnect the battery and install the buttons, module and loom. You;ll need to remove the flap which covers the gap between the boot and the lower tailgate which is three bolts. The module mounts on two bolt studs on the right hand side of the wheel well behind the carpet. The loom for the bar goes through the blanked off hole below the tailgate above the electrical connector. Remove the blank grommet, push the loom through and reseal with the grommet on the loom.

2. Raise the rear of the car and secure with axle stands or equivalent

3. Remove the rear bumper. This is relatively straight forward and takes about 10 minutes. Remove the screws on the trim panels under the bumper. Then remove the small plastic mount which is visible behind the trim panel that the trim panel screws into (you won't need this afterwards as the towbar replaces this part). Then prise off the two chrome side trims on top of the bumper and remove the bolts and screws at the end, on the corner and underneath.
With the lower tailgate lowered you'll see three plastic trim clips which need prised off. Then pull the bumper free, starting from just behind the wheel- it will pop off but take care to disconnect the rear parking sensor connector. As you do this you will notice the two other connectors for the trailer light socket are already there. The bumper is very light but ideally a 2 man job to remove safely to prevent potential scratches. Topix has very detailed instructions on how to remove the bumper and there is also a Powerful video too.

4. Examine the 2 connectors for the towbar lighting socket that are clipped to the rear of the car next to the rear parking sensor connector you've just disconnected and remove the plastic inserts

5. Undo the 10 bolts (5 each side) on the reinforced bumper bar and remove

6. Install the towbar unit in place of the reinforced bumper bar and bolt up with 10 M10x37. The landrover parts have flanged heads and washers installed on them.

7) Install parts B,C & D under the car - the bolt holes are already there and bolt into the towbar. 4 M12x50 at the rear of part B and 10 x M12x40 to connect parts B,C&D to the underbody and the towbar. Again the landrover bolts have flanged heads and washers

8 ) Connect the towbar deploy loom to the connector on the bar and then connect the 2 light socket connectors, and add the electric socket to the bar if its not already installed

9) Torque up all the bolts to the correct torque settings which are detailed in the install instructions which can be freely downloaded from google - just search VPLGT0117 instal guide

10) Reconnect the battery and test the system. You may find you need to follow the reset process which is detailed in your owners manual but I've put it here

Start the engine and run for longer than 2 seconds. Stop the engine and switch the ignition off.

Switch the ignition on, and then off.

Press and hold the on-off button for approximately 2 seconds, until the LED indicator lamp illuminates on the deploy-
stow button.

Press and hold the deploy-stow button for approximately 10 seconds, until the electrically deployable tow ball has
reached the fully deployed position. A double warning tone sounds to confirm.

Release the deploy-stow button. The electrically deployable tow ball is now reset.

11) Reinstall the rear bumper, rear parking sensor connector and the underneath panels and install your new bumper cut out.

12) If you have an IID tool you can go into the CCF and switch on the towbar electrics and module - this will programme the trailer indicator on the instrument panel to show the lights are working as well as turn on the tow hitch assistance view on the rear camera

You are done! You'll be left with the bumper reinforcement bar, the 10 bolts that held the bar, a small under bumper plastic frame and a solid bumper cover if you have replaced with the bumper cutout and a fancy electric deployable towbar!

I'll post up some more photos of the instal process on my own car in this post shortly.

Hope you find this useful

Post #682107 7th Jan 2024 11:14pm
zenman63

I have one in the for sale completely

Post #682108 7th Jan 2024 11:23pm
Frans

Super!

What are the cost ?

Gr Frans

Post #682109 7th Jan 2024 11:24pm
zenman63

The complete unit is £700

Post #682110 7th Jan 2024 11:25pm
Frans

on Ebay there is one for 400?

is that price ok for you?

And can you send it to Holland ? (sorry Wink

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/386271281958

Post #682111 7th Jan 2024 11:27pm
zenman63

Send me a link for one complete for £400

Post #682115 7th Jan 2024 11:49pm
Frans

I send you a pM

Post #682118 8th Jan 2024 12:06am
Frans

Hi
Unfortunately, my electric motor and swivel on my deployable tow hook are broken. Now I'm looking for a new set or a completely new tow bar. Considering shipping and costs, the only interesting thing is the parts. if these can be replaced of course. The question is whether these parts are the same as those of the Range Rover Sport? I now know that the bracket does not fit, but perhaps the motor and swivel do?

Post #682130 8th Jan 2024 9:35am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>