Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Help me out with the suspension on my 'famous' 4.4TDV8 L322!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 24 of 29 <123 ... 232425 ... 272829>
Print this entire topic · 
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

I'd also add to not forget checking the accelerometer voltages, other than the height sensor rate of change, they will have a bearing upon the duty cycle - along with whatever info is monitored on CAN of course.

Post #646430 24th Oct 2022 8:02pm
LandyManSam

Ireland 2012 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

Hi all, been a while since I've been on here - but was really pleasantly surprised that this topic has been active with some really interesting work done Bow down

The point regarding accelerometers is what caught my eye. Back when I was first troubleshooting this problem, the rear accelerometer under the boot floor was one of the first things that I loaded into the parts cannon, to no avail. So my next job will be to check the acc data again on my IID tool and see if there is anything awry according to Phoenix's static test guidelines of +/- 0.05V.

@Mjdronfield, did you have any luck with your height sensors or accelerometers? Sam's Motor & Machine YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgNSRjY0I9FCzsi9ku3ccbw

Home of the 'Cheapest 4.4 TDV8 Range Rover"

Post #654462 23rd Jan 2023 2:09pm
Caesium

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

Ffrr-lover wrote:
Caesium wrote:
I have tested all the height sensors and yaw sensors and they are all spot on within tolerance and the dampers themselves are all perfectly functional. I have a replacement CVD module on the way and I'll see what the system does when I swap out the units.

I am keen to see how you get on. I purchased a CVD module a while back, but it turned out to be from an l320 so not compatible.

My rears seem harsher than the fronts, despite new rear struts.

I changed the CVD module and it made no difference at all. I then had the rear alignment done and it seemed to cure it, even though I marked everything when I changed the rear arms, they must be different dimensions as the rear toe was miles out.

the 4 wheel alignment seemed to make the car drive so much better. Christian.

Current Cars
2011 Range Rover Vogue SE
2020 BMW M4 Competition
2019 BMW X4

My RR Blog: www.facebook.com/L322Project
or
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic61540.html

Post #654467 23rd Jan 2023 2:24pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Hi,

I changed the front left height sensor for a new LR one and the ride improved. I’ve still yet to swap the accelerometer about though.

I’ve also replaced all the front lower arms and ARB drop links and the front is more precise, as you would expect.

It’s better than it was, but similar to Haylands L322, so I’m now thinking it wasn’t right before, as it rolled quite a lot.

Need to get the CV boot on 1 side swapped as garage caught it with heat when doing the ball joints. So it’s all got to come off again, then I’ll get tracking and recalibrated and can then take stock again.

So yes, it’s better than it was.

Thumbs Up 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Last edited by mjdronfield on 23rd Jan 2023 3:48pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #654471 23rd Jan 2023 2:32pm
LandyManSam

Interesting that alignment could have a significant effect on ride quality. I have a full set of rear arm bushes to swap in when I get a chance - which will be followed by a full alignment.

Someone on here mentioned that their poor ride was cured by a compressor and sensor being replaced at the same time - that got me thinking - back when I first bought the car, the dealer (CWNRR) said that they replaced the compressor just before I collected it. Can anyone think of a way that a compressor (of incorrect type, malfunctioning, or otherwise incorrectly fitted) could cause a harsh ride? Sam's Motor & Machine YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgNSRjY0I9FCzsi9ku3ccbw

Post #654481 23rd Jan 2023 3:37pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Sorry, might have misled a bit there, the height sensor had more of an effect than anything else. Lower arms helped sharper steering. Mentioned the other bits as I can’t get tracking and suspension heights calibrated till CV replaced, then I’m hoping might be a bitter better still. 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #654482 23rd Jan 2023 3:47pm
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

I still say tyres are the main determining factor for how comfortable a car rides over rough road surfaces. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #654486 23rd Jan 2023 4:24pm
LandyManSam

mjdronfield wrote:
Sorry, might have misled a bit there, the height sensor had more of an effect than anything else. Lower arms helped sharper steering. Mentioned the other bits as I can’t get tracking and suspension heights calibrated till CV replaced, then I’m hoping might be a bitter better still.

Ah sorry was referring to Caesium's post about his alignment curing his issue. Fingers crossed for yours! Sam's Motor & Machine YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgNSRjY0I9FCzsi9ku3ccbw

Post #654487 23rd Jan 2023 4:31pm
JayGee

When I had the front upper and lower arms done + 4 wheel alignment the ride got a bit firmer (Less give in the bushings) but the handling got sharper and I was happy with that compromise. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #654488 23rd Jan 2023 4:39pm
MarianaWestminster

United Kingdom 

Any progress on this Landymansam?

Or anyone else suffering? Laughing

Post #662408 20th Apr 2023 7:14pm
Privanthe

Scotland 

Just wanted to add something on to this thread as I wasn’t aware until now. Have been talking with Patrick @ IID - I wanted finer details on the calibration process and how best to do it, terrain/speed etc.

Turns out there is absolutely no ADCS/VDS calibration. The calibration is purely for coding a new adaptive damping module to the car, it has no affect on the shocks/ride quality directly.

Must have been a placebo this whole time..

Post #667806 28th Jun 2023 6:37pm
JayGee

A few weeks back I pulled the fuse for the CVD system overnight and was pretty convinced the car was softer riding the next day. Mine's not especial harsh to start with but still.... 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #667828 29th Jun 2023 7:21am
MarianaWestminster

United Kingdom 

Just had a look in the IID tool manual Privanthe and yes, it's only intended for fitment of a new module, it was in the manual all along...

Jaygee, I've noticed that too on all 3 of mine. Removing the fuse and refitting does provide softer damping but not by much and only for a short while.

Post #667830 29th Jun 2023 7:46am
MarianaWestminster

United Kingdom 

Pic that should have been with my previous post.

Click image to enlarge

Post #667831 29th Jun 2023 7:46am
colalowe

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Hi all,

I recently had the wheels re balanced and wheel alignment done after replacing both rear upper and lower arms and this made an improvement although I still felt that over the road repairs it was harsher than I would like and I was considering biting the bullet and changing the rear shock (even though others have done this with no change)

For a while now I have had an occasional harsh gear change from either 1-2 or 2-3 and have been reluctant to do the gearbox adaptions reset as many warned that this could cause more problems.

Anyway, the other day I was fed up of the bumps and the harsh gear change so cautiously pressed the OK button for the gearbox adaption reset.

The car drives much better now and dare I say it the suspension is less noticeable over the road repairs.
Now I'm not suggesting that the gearbox adaptions has anything to do with the suspension or am I suggesting that you try the reset, each car is different and I would hate for someone to have further issues from trying this, for me though I am now holding off on buying the rear shocks until I have driven the car for a few more weeks to see if it goes back to being as harsh as before.

Just for info, over the last 6mths I have changed the following on the rear,

Subframe bushes
Upper knuckle bush
lower knuckle bush
Anti roll bar linkage
toe control arm
upper and lower arms
new Height sensors and re calibrated
wheels rebalanced and wheel alignment done
recalibrated the longitudinal sensor, yaw sensor and steering angle sensor.
I did reset the adaptive suspension module and now the gearbox as well. 2012 TDV8 Autobiography Baltic Blue
Previous
2007 BMW M5 E60

Post #667861 29th Jun 2023 2:57pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 24 of 29 <123 ... 232425 ... 272829>