Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > 6HP26 Torque Converter Differences
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue
6HP26 Torque Converter Differences

I bought a new box for my SC and it came from a V8 Disco 3. Turns out it was a brand new box and torque converter in 2013 so it looks like I might have a decent one, well, fingers crossed anyway!

The old box is a 1068 020 070, the new box is a 1068 020 069. Physically they look identical so I’m not too concerned about that.

The bit that’s got me a touch bothered is the torque converter difference.

Original SC Box and torque converter:

New Disco 3 Gearbox and torque converter

Logic is telling me to fit the bigger torque converter from my SC to the new gearbox, however, I don’t really want to fit it as it’s probably full of Censored and contaminated oil from the old gearbox packing in. I also don’t like the idea of fitting the smaller torque converter either.

I’m wondering about sending the original in to get refurbished but am wondering if anyone else has any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks,
David. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2007 Range Rover Supercharged in Java Black with Ivory Leather
2012 Range Rover 5.0 SC Autobiography in Indus Silver with Jet/Ivory Interior
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #600707 15th Jul 2021 12:57am
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

My thought would be that they sized the S/C one for the extra power and torque put through it whilst towing a fully loaded trailer up a long hill in a heatwave.... ie, well over engineered....

I'd fit the one that came with the box and see what happens.... less £££ just more hours on the spanners if you need to change it...

I also wouldn't reset adaptions, just let the new box find it's groove.... Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #600743 15th Jul 2021 11:18am
dhallworth

Quote:
I also wouldn't reset adaptions, just let the new box find it's groove.... Thumbs Up

That was my thought too... However, I've read if the firmware in the TCM needs flashed to make this box work with my car then the adaptions are reset as part of that process which is a bit worrying given what happened to the last box Laughing 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather

Post #600744 15th Jul 2021 11:25am
Haylands

Yeah... if you can't help doing it, so be it, but if you have the option...!! Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold

Post #600747 15th Jul 2021 11:54am
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

The Disco 3 (220kW/427Nm) 069 transmission has a lower torque/power capacity than the RRS (287kW/550Nm) 070 unit.

As you discovered, the 069 transmission only has a 260mm D85 torque converter whereas the 070 has a 280mm B84 unit.

Each of the 5 clutch packs in the 069 transmission has fewer plates than the 070. Also, the 070 has a 4-planet front epicyclic rather than the weaker 3-planet one used in the 069.

Phil

Post #600759 15th Jul 2021 2:14pm
dhallworth

Thanks Phil.

In normal day to day driving where the car isn't being driven flat out all the time, do you reckon it'll make much difference? I do tow the trailer/caravan as well but again it's not being pushed hard and it's not very often.

If you think it'll be ok, I'll likely fit the Disco box and keep mine as a spare so that if I do have any problems going forward I can have it rebuilt before fitting it.

On a car that's 14 years old with 135k on it, it's probably not producing the power it did when new anyway Laughing 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather

Post #600764 15th Jul 2021 2:26pm
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

Sorry if I've missed this, but what exactly is wrong with your 070 transmission?

Phil

Post #600777 15th Jul 2021 5:36pm
Haylands

Phil,

Half way down page 11....

https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic57991-150.html Pete

Post #600796 15th Jul 2021 9:06pm
dhallworth

When I bought my car in January this year it was delivered to me sight unseen due to COVID. When I drove it initially and it went to change from 2nd to 3rd it banged into gear.

I drained the oil from the gearbox and got around 1 litre out and it was very dark. I did some reading online and read that at around 120k the solenoids in the 6HP26 can cause problems so I ordered a genuine set of ZF solenoids, a new bridge seal, the 4 round seals and a new sump along with 10 litres of ZF Lifeguard 6.

I changed the parts, filled the box up, reset the adaptions and I’ve done around 2.5k miles in it since.

A couple of weeks ago I drove out of the village home, stopped outside a gate, engaged low range, and drove into the field to get a trailer out. About 30 yards into the field I could hear a noise under the car as if there was something trailing under it.

I stopped, switched the car off, had a look under it and couldn’t see anything. When I got back in and restarted the car it had no drive. After switching it off and back on again it had drive but had gone back into High Range and was locked in 2nd gear along with the dashboard being lit up like a Christmas tree.

When engaging reverse there was a grinding noise from inside the gearbox but when going back into Drive it would move off in 2nd gear.

When reading the fault codes off the car there are zero faults logged in the Transmission ECU but in the Transfer Case Module ECU there is a P0915 - Gearshift Position Circuit Range/Performance.

I drained the oil from the gearbox and after 2.5k miles it was black and stank as if it was burnt.

The bit that confuses me the most is that other then the odd 1-2 and 2-1 tug on downshift the car had been driving absolutely perfectly and there was no sign of any slipping or faults inside the gearbox when driving it.

I was getting quotes for between £2500 and £3000 to rebuild the gearbox but decided I’d rather buy a used box then drop that into this car. I was told the Discovery boxes were the same which is the reason I bought this one. The car this box was from was a 2004 4.4 V8 Discovery that had done 98k miles. This box is dated 17/12/13 on the sticker and the date on the sump is August 2014 so I’m hoping this one will be a good box other then being the wrong one.

Post #600819 15th Jul 2021 11:55pm
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

As both the 069 & 070 transmissions use the identical Mechatronic unit (1068 198 942) the electronic module from your 070 could be swapped with the 069 one to avoid it having to be paired with your vehicle. Just to be clear, I talking about just the electronic module

so you would still use the valve body assembly & solenoids from the 069 transmission.

You would need to reset the solenoid pressure/time adaptions to make sure that any extreme settings from the failed transmission didn’t carry over to the new one.

It certainly would then be interesting to see how the calibration set for the higher capacity transmission carried over to the lower capacity one, and whether the controller identified any faults e.g. long shift times or excessive converter slip, as a result. Unfortunately, I have no idea whether this swap would be issue-free, but it would be very interesting to find out. Clearly if you do overload the transmission, and the clutches slip or you get excessive converter slip as a result, you can expect to get failsafe messages.

Obviously it’s imperative that you get your 070 transmission apart at some point, so that we can see exactly what has failed Very Happy

Phil

Post #600821 16th Jul 2021 12:33am
dhallworth

Thanks for your input once again, Phil.

I’m not sure where the fault is on my box so I was going to fit this one exactly as it came and then pair it with the IID tool.

The idea of stripping my transmission down is quite appealing but I wouldn’t know where to begin and wouldn’t know good bits from bad bits when I opened it! Would be happy to deliver it to you if you fancied a look!

I keep thinking about having it rebuilt so that if the 069 does give problems at a later date I can swap it back in with minimal fuss.

Post #600826 16th Jul 2021 1:15am
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

By all means send me your 070 transmission & I will strip it and report back on what has caused the failure. I can also price up everything you will need to rebuild it to get it back to 100% and you could then make the decision what you want to do with it. I can supply you with all the parts if you want to have a go yourself – it’s really very straightforward.

This is an Aston Martin 6HP26 that I’m working on at the moment just for fun, from a DB9 Very Happy

Phil

Post #600950 17th Jul 2021 3:04pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Forgive the off topic question please Bow down

Phil, whats wrong with the DB9 box? Do they fail often? Can they be uprated whilst your hands are in there? I have a 2007 DB9 and would love to know if you think it could be upgraded in terms of speed to change gear both in manual & auto modes... PM me by all means sir Bow down Thumbs Up

Post #600981 18th Jul 2021 12:30am
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

(Sorry everyone)

Hi Craig,

I’ve been able to find very little information on the durability of the Touchtronic II transmission on the various Aston Martin forums. Presumably they suffer the same issues (solenoid faults, rear stator bush wear, etc.) as Land Rover, BMW, Jaguar, etc. but there’s very little evidence of this. Maybe Aston Martin owners, in general, aren’t conducive towards DIY repairs and just get their transmissions replaced?

Are you able to get the model number off the green ID plate on your transmission?

I’ve only researched Touchtronic II transmissions up to 2011 so far, even though AM used them all the way up to 2016MY in the DB9 GT, but basically the model number sequence is:

1068 020 033 ( Nov. ’03 - Jun. ’04 )
1068 020 037 ( Jun. ’04 - Dec. ’06 )
1068 020 076 ( Jun. ’06 - Mar. ’08 )
1068 020 078 ( Jan. ’07 - Jan. ’07 )
1068 020 084 ( Nov. ’07 - May ’11 )

The dates above are the transmission manufacture dates rather than the vehicle, but I would guess that you have the 1068 020 076 unit.

There was a big change for the 078 & 084 models (i.e. for 2009MY vehicles) with an extra clutch plate added to the E-clutch and a drastically revised hydraulic control system for the Mechatronic unit (which switched from the 047 intermediate sheet architecture to the 053). This upgrade was carried out when (& because) Touchtronic II became an option for the flagship DBS.

Regarding the 2009MY upgrade, in Grant Neal’s guide he says “The Touchtronic II was now as quick as the manual, due to changes to the control unit allowing quicker, more effective changes.”

Phil

P.S. I’ve just bought a 2013 6HP26 transmission from a Rapide to have a play with, so hopefully this will get me a bit more up to date.

Post #601042 18th Jul 2021 2:15pm
dhallworth

I finished fitting the new transmission tonight and reconnected the battery.

As expected there’s a transmission fault telling me that only limited gears are available but when clearing the faults with the IID tool exactly the same faults reappear.

There’s a Gearshift Position Circuit Range/Performance fault (P0915-00 (2F) which is only showed on the Transfer Case ECU, not the main Transmission ECU.

I also noticed that the car won’t come out of park. When you put your foot on the brake, the release solenoid isn’t clicking so it won’t come out of park. I’m hoping that this is just because the ECU needs paired to the car so I’ve purchased the updated from GAP and will let the battery charge overnight before trying the update tomorrow.

Unfortunately the instructions on the update say to reset the adaptions which isn’t ideal but there’s not much I can do about that.

Post #601331 20th Jul 2021 11:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>