Home > My Range Rover > And here it is… L322 Overland Build
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
2010BlackL322

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Autobiography Black 4.4 V8 Santorini Black
And here it is… L322 Overland Build

2010 L322 Range Rover Autobiography Black. 135K Miles

Been in for some service items, CV boots, a leaking turbo pipe, worn ball joint, full service, get the rusty and rotten side steps off, along with the front mud flaps. The wheels have been replaced with Black L405 1065 style, with Cooper Discoverer AT 275/55/20’s, yep, they put the tyres on white walls out, so they need to change them to black side walls. the old wheels will be put up for sale next week on here.

I installed the Easy lift suspension module, 10 min job, which now gives me 5 ride heights, the added factory raised heights, so it will raise to 4” in extend mode, all controlled via an app, pictures coming on the install and the heights. One cool function, it has an auto level function, which will help when the RTT is on for trips.

Few things to do next, remove the cheap stick on wind deflectors, 🤷🏼‍♂️ I know, they are terrible and cheap, clean the leather inside, it’s in really good condition but needs a good clean and the leather fed. All incandescent bulbs being replaced with LED’s, and put on a new set of front mud flaps, without the side step cut out. Install the full rear dog guard / cage, and start to plan out how the fridge slide, dual ARB compressor and Redarc BMS Manager 30 will fit in the rear loadspace. Then it;s on to de-bringing it, remove the chrome and silver trim items, and replace said items with black versions, easy to do.

Which brings me to a general question for you, does anyone know of a drawer system that fits in the back of a L322, that is not permanent, maybe one made for a Disco 3/4? if not, it’s out with the CAD and start to design something custom to my needs.

More soon as the mods continue apace.

Check out my YouTube channel

https://youtu.be/UHBbLWZXw4A

Post #612528 13th Nov 2021 6:41pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

You'll probably find the wind deflectors are there as the black window surrounds start rusting from the top down and the deflectors cover it up... Thumbs Up

Where are you modifying this vehicle to go..? Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #612543 13th Nov 2021 8:06pm
2010BlackL322

The window surrounds are fine, checked under them when I peeled one back, but you never know what’s under them.

Off to Spain, Pyrenees in May for 10 days and then a 3 week trip in September to Croatia and the Balkans, almost all of it taking the road less travelled, and some wild camping with the RTT on it, assuming I can find a decent roof rack, Land Rover Passion in Italy looks the best bet at the moment. Check out my YouTube channel

Post #612561 13th Nov 2021 9:47pm
gettingold

United Kingdom 

If you don’t find a suitable roof rack I saved this from the Disco3 forum.

https://boltonroofracks.com/Bespoke-Roof-Solutions.html

Million miles away from you though. visiting from www.rrsport.co.uk

Post #612579 14th Nov 2021 6:35am
RichM63

France 2006 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Rename the "wind deflectors" as "rain deflectors" and you'll remain dry with the windows open an inch while driving in the wet. L322 3.6 TDV8 Vogue. 07MY
ML 320 7 Seat full leather etc. (The Black Pearl) Wink

Post #612584 14th Nov 2021 8:30am
2010BlackL322

I have them on the Defender, which is far worse with rain pouring in off the gutter, but they look terrible on the RR Thumbs Up Check out my YouTube channel

Post #612589 14th Nov 2021 9:15am
2010BlackL322

gettingold wrote:
If you don’t find a suitable roof rack I saved this from the Disco3 forum.

https://boltonroofracks.com/Bespoke-Roof-Solutions.html

Million miles away from you though.

Thanks, I have a cargobear on the defender and love it, they make a rack for the Disco 3/4 but I’d have to check the width dimensions and the mount brackets for the roof rails / factory mounts, and how they match up to the rack.

As with anything, can be done, just depends on the time, effort and probably £ to make it all fit.

But, looking like this one and avoid the hassles

https://www.landroverpassion.com/en/produc...over-l322/

Thanks Thumbs Up Check out my YouTube channel

Post #612615 14th Nov 2021 11:37am
Andy2986

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Barolo Black
Re: And here it is… L322 Overland Build

2010BlackL322 wrote:

Which brings me to a general question for you, does anyone know of a drawer system that fits in the back of a L322, that is not permanent, maybe one made for a Disco 3/4? if not, it’s out with the CAD and start to design something custom to my needs.

Ive had a drawer made for the back of mine ( I use it as a gun safe )

It was made to measure and cost around £800.

Will dig out the address if it’s the sort of thing you want.

I’m going to be using the company again to add to the drawer system in my disco 1.

2011 4.4 TDV8
2000 4.6 P38
1998 D1 300tdi

Post #612621 14th Nov 2021 12:31pm
2010BlackL322

That looks like it would work, how have you attached it to the load space floor?

If you have the address of who made, be grateful if you could share.

Thanks

Mark Check out my YouTube channel

Post #612627 14th Nov 2021 1:25pm
Andy2986

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Barolo Black

It’s a guy on eBay “metallicsuk “. I dealt with him through eBay messenger.

It’s a very tight fit so I haven’t felt the need to secure it into the back. When I’m using it to transport guns I have a cable lock through the back of it and through the range rovers cargo hooks by the back seats.

( I’m also going to fit a pair of dead bolts to the lower tailgate for increased security )

The dimensions I used were
1080wide
900 deep
220 high

Ive another gun drawer in wood but it’s to high (for me) so limited my boot space as I needed to get things on top of it and still be able to use the parcel shelf.

(It’s in the for sale part of this forum !!!! )

Andy 2011 4.4 TDV8
2000 4.6 P38
1998 D1 300tdi

Post #612629 14th Nov 2021 2:10pm
2010BlackL322

Thanks Andy, Will contact him

I plan to put my fridge slide on the top, I also need somewhere to house my BMS and inverter, so might get a little more custom.

Thumbs Up Check out my YouTube channel

Post #612643 14th Nov 2021 4:01pm
2010BlackL322

Haylands wrote:
You'll probably find the wind deflectors are there as the black window surrounds start rusting from the top down and the deflectors cover it up... Thumbs Up

Where are you modifying this vehicle to go..?

Good news, after destroying an old plastic locality card, the wind deflectors are off, and there is zero rust underneath. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Check out my YouTube channel

Post #612935 17th Nov 2021 5:26pm
2010BlackL322

Cleaned, washed and tyres put on the right way

As I mentioned in my initial post, the tyres where installed white walls out, yuck, so they turned them around, and I think you’ll agree, it looks much better that way.

Mods / work to do
I pulled off the wind deflectors, no rust on the window frames as one member predicated, begs the question as to why they were added, personally, they looked terrible and cheap.

Easylift suspension module - Video to upload with install and app review - light off road footage - lift is now max 5” 😬
Review of the L405 1060 wheels and AT’s riding on Cooper Discoverer AT3 Sport 2’s Stepped up to 275/55/20 - no rubbing, feels far better planted on the road, and quieter too.

Leather needs a good clean and fed with hide food
T Cut the bodywork, see if I can remove some of the scratches, not deep, should come out, mostly on the drivers door.
DE-Blinging continues, take off / replace / paint the grey / chrome items
Fit new mud flaps
ITG filter
Fit new LED fog lights
Fit new black side vents

I’ve sourced the battery for the dual battery install, optima yellow top, that will go in the well, drivers side rear, under the fuse box/ ECU for the suspension, there is a live battery feed coming directly to that fuse box to tap into, need to build a frame for the rear to house everything that is planned to go in, fridge etc.

Booked in for ECU remap with Empire in early December, that will, hopefully, coincide with a new stainless rear exhaust box, with smaller silencers, eliminating that monster rear box.

I have found a roof rack, Land Rover Passion in Milan seems the best option for now

Further updates as I go, the build has truly started, the planned trip to Spain has been booked for the end of May, deadline set.

Updates on YouTube too Thumbs Up Check out my YouTube channel

Post #612939 17th Nov 2021 5:54pm
2010BlackL322

A full weekend to getting to grips with the L322.

Easylift kit installed, was straight forward to plug into the ECU and configure.

Sundry trim items removed and replaced, front bib spoiler, fog lights, all road chipped, rear trim under the Range Rover lettering.

Replaced the side vents with black version, replaced the side indicators with smoked versions, replaced the mud flaps on the front, as the old ones had the side step inserts, I removed mine as they were rotten.

I also painted the reverse lights black, using the powerful UK template, looks much better than that large expanse of white plastic, simple 30 minute job .

Inside, all interior bulbs replaced with LED’s and started to add in more USB sockets to replace the 12v lighter until, simple plug and play in the cubby box, and the rear “power socket”

Gave the leather a really good clean and fed it with leather cream, brought up the shine.

Removed the centre console, switch gear panel, as someone had tipped over fluid into the panel, that was all disgusting and needed a good clean and gave the carpet on the passenger a damn good clean, as the fluid had stained it, now all gone.
I also replaced the gear shift knob from the old and chipped silver one to a nice and bright red one, with a leather topper, genuine LR part.

Things I found that need attention.

The left side air filter and the pollen filter needs replacing

Wiper cowl missing 2 plugs, windscreen wiper arm corroded and needs replacement, drivers side mirror cover cracked, rear high level brake lens badly faded and cracked.

All in all, good progress, video posting later this week, after I try and restore the corrupted video files 🤦🏼‍♂️ GoPro’s UGH

Things to do this weekend

Change over grille to blacked out version
Change the mirror cover
Connect the USB’s and test
Put the centre console back together.
Replace the wiper arm and wiper blades
Change air filter
Change pollen filter

Start to plan out the rear box to house my fridge / side the electrics that will be connected to the second battery, inverter, BCDC charger, dual air compressor. I plan to build it with 25mm box alloy tubing with push fit connectors and rivnut the until to the space loadspace cover, simply bolt in, bolt out.

It should sit below the loadspace cover, so that can stay in place as and when required

Once plans and dimensions are finished, happy to share if any is interested in building one / copying.

I’ve also engaged with a company to look at building some custom brackets to fit a cargobear Disco 3/4 roof rack to the L322 factory roof mounting points, they are also looking at building a sump guard / front diff guard and maybe, maybe rack sliders, but with the extend lift I have with the Easylift, not sure I’ll be needing them, we shall see.

More updates next week 👍🏻 Check out my YouTube channel

Post #613399 22nd Nov 2021 11:10am
2010BlackL322

3 weeks in, the plastic trims has been removed, almost all of it, grille, vents etc were cracked, missing tabs, paint chipped, or the fake chrome peeling off, all replaced. Fog lights replaced with smoked LED’s, the trim that holds them in, rattle canned gloss black. The high level brake light was cracked, only 4 random LED”s working, replaced with a smoked version. The stealth look not for some, traditionalists will be shouting “heretic” at your screens, but this for me is how I want it, and this is not, or won’t be a curb princess. This is going to do what it was built to do.

Started on the interior, LED’s now replaced the interior older yellowing bulbs, nice and bright, map reading lights on the front, red, for better nighttime vision, carpets, cheap and nasty, replaced with genuine mats, and carpets and finally, 67 Designs Series’s 55 100mm mount, screwed on the centre console, fear not, that trim panel had a crack in it already, these now house the 20mm balls for iPhone mount, and iPad mount, USB power is fed from the USB socket in the cubby box.

Work now begins on the dual battery install in the rear, and the frame I’m building out of 25mm box alloy tubing to house the fridge / slide etc.

Sourced a roof rack https://www.landroverpassion.com/en/produc...over-l322/

Deadlines, Strat Florida shakedown weekend in late Feb, late May trip to Spain booked, and planning a 3 week long trip to the Balkan in September.

ECU remap with Empire due in the coming weeks.

More updates in a few weeks. YouTube videos being uploaded weekly. Check out my YouTube channel

Post #614161 29th Nov 2021 3:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>