Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic > Watches
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 10 of 12 <123 ... 9 101112>
Print this entire topic · 
Danb_220_2019

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Fuji White

There's clearly a 'thing' going on with FF drivers and watches. I clearly don't have the spending power of some here, though.

I've never been into Rolexes but as I've got older they've started to appeal a little more. Must be an age thing, but I just can't personally justify the spend when I could stick the money into my pension or mortgage, so I remain sensible.

I love mechanical watches, though. I can't understand spending thousands on a watch with a battery... it just seems wrong somehow. I only buy watches that *I* like, and I don't give a monkey's whether anyone else likes them or is impressed by them. I enjoy them for me, no one else.

I have an Omega Speedmaster Professional I bought in 2003 which is worth a lot more now than when I bought it. Used to wear it daily but no longer do. I will never part with it.

Others which will always stay with me for various sentimental reasons are a Tissot T-Race MotoGP Automatic which I love just for the brake-disc design, several Bulova Automatics which are deeply underrated and lovely to wear.

I also have a couple of Seiko 5s which I wear daily in rotation.

A paltry collection by comparison to some in this thread!

Soon as the mortgage is paid off I know I'll end up with a lot more wrist-candy, though. 2012 (L322) 4.4TDV8 Vogue SE, RSE, Fuji White over Arabica.
Previous V8s: BMW 645Ci, P38 4.6, P38 4.0, Merc CL500
Previous others: Honda x1, Volvo x7, Rover x6, BMW x6, Ford x1, Mercedes x2, Skoda x3, VW x2, Renault x2, Citroen x1, Mazda x3, Nissan x1, Audi x3, Kia x1, Fiat x4, Subaru x3, Austin x2, Triumph x2, Jeep x2, Hyundai x2, Lexus x1, Mitsubishi x1, Saab x2... and some others I've forgotten!

Post #667943 30th Jun 2023 10:01am
AnotherMutley

United Kingdom 

I think a lot of car people also have an interest in watches and also pens.

There's a lot of snobbery and hype about watches, take for example the Swatch MoonSwatch, crazy money for a predominately plastic watch that the pushers have a high likelihood of falling off and Rolex at the other end of the scale want to restrict the supply of their watches to people who don't know anything about the watch, they just have a very active social media presence.

I've been collecting watches for years and I buy what I like, yes I've made some huge mistakes and lost a lot of money, but if a £300 Bulova or a Seiko 5 makes you happy, that's what its all about.

They all tell the time and a £47.50 Swatch quartz will be more accurate than a Rolex, free battery for life and my buckle recently broke, Swatch replaced it free of charge.

Post #667946 30th Jun 2023 10:42am
Tinman

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Silicon Silver

I did have my eye on a Rolex Deepsea Blue but thought it may be as big as the Omega that I already have. 2017 SDV8 4.4 silicon silver AB
2012 TDV8 4.4 Stornaway Grey AB
2011 TDV8 4.4 Buckingham Blue
2012 VW V6 3.0 Tougreg

Post #667951 30th Jun 2023 12:45pm
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless I’m not at home, in which case I’m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I think the only Omega that’s as big and thick as the DSDD would be the Ultra Deep Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #667953 30th Jun 2023 12:48pm
AnotherMutley

United Kingdom 

The Cameron is a nice watch but as with all things Rolex, its join the queue, unless you want to go down the grey market route. I had normal DSSD and its a nice piece.

Tried the Ultra Deep on and it sits nicely on the wrist sometimes the DSSD used to feel quite tall on the wrist.

Post #667966 30th Jun 2023 2:01pm
vs322

Greece 2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

I am more of a watch guy than a car guy. In the sense that I'm more inclined to acquire more than one watch at a certain point than change my vehicle. Also, any knowledge gained on watches is out of pure interest and while deciding which purchase would better suit my wants. Knowledge gained on cars, on the other hand, partly or mostly, stems out of necessity.
I will agree that watch hype and snobbery are nowadays off the charts. And, through social media, the driving forces of all the madness we are experiencing with the luxury market (tulips, anyone?)
With that said, I personally derive the same enjoyment wearing a Rolex, a Tudor, a Seiko, a Casio or even a Soviet era Vostok. Each and every one has its own qualities and has been acquired for the same reason. I happen to like them.
Also, should needs, wants or corcumstances change, I have zero hesitations selling, flipping or giving away any piece for reasons that seem right to me. Wearing a nice watch doesn't make one a nicer or better person so no attachments to material objects going any more than skin deep. Having fun is what it's all about Thumbs Up

Post #667969 30th Jun 2023 2:10pm
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Not the best pictures but

Had the GMT II since 1986

The Breitling Navitimer is an 806 model which I have had since 1969. John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #668218 3rd Jul 2023 3:45pm
Stuart-

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

I bought a bimetal Omega Constellation in the 90s that I still have (Don't remember how much, maybe £1800, I paid in Deutschmarks as they were cheaper in Germany back then for some reason). About 2000, I bought a blue face Rolex bi-metal Submariner when they first came out (about £6k then, imported from the UAE, much more now). Still have that too as my 'daily'.

I had the Constellation fettled a while back even though I don't really wear it now, I might give it to my lad on his 21st in a couple of years as he has been coveting it.

My Rolex is a bit tired after 20-odd years of wear. It's been serviced a couple of times but now one of the gold links is wearing away at the pivot point, it's overdue to go in somewhere to be fettled too.

As my Rolex was getting a bit damaged by daily wear and working in it, I bought a very good copy automatic Omega Seamaster and a wind-up IWC with a leather strap when I was in China. Thinking I'd use one or the other as daily 'bashers'. As it goes, I never seemed to get along with them so they're both sat in my drawer. Cheap if anyone fancies one.

If anyone knows a good Rolex cosmetic fettling place I'm all ears. Lot's of places online, but I'm a bit wary about sending it off to some place - I might never see it again. 2017 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography in black
2018 D300 SE Velar in champagne
Spiffing wheel centre caps available

Post #668244 3rd Jul 2023 7:40pm
vs322

Greece 2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

@Stuart-

I suggest you send it in to a RSC (Rolex Service Center) and not an independent. It will cost you more but you get complete peace of mind and a 2 year warranty Thumbs Up

Post #668264 3rd Jul 2023 9:27pm
AnotherMutley

United Kingdom 

@weegie I'm liking that 806, very nice. Thumbs Up

I've got a later Navitimer from the late 90's but they just don't have the same appeal as the original 806.

Post #668283 4th Jul 2023 10:50am
AnotherMutley

United Kingdom 

Stuart- wrote:

My Rolex is a bit tired after 20-odd years of wear. It's been serviced a couple of times but now one of the gold links is wearing away at the pivot point, it's overdue to go in somewhere to be fettled too.

If its the original bracelet, keep it Stuart, it'll have a date code on the clasp and once its gone, its gone. The bracelet and box/papers are as much apart of the watches history and value as the watch is.

If the watch is running well and keeps good time, have a look on Chrono24 for a replacement bracelet, or if its not, send it to and Rolex on a strap and ask them to quote for a replacement bracelet.

I'm always amazed on Antiques Roadshow how many Rolex watches appear and how they've been restored and have lost value in process.

Post #668284 4th Jul 2023 10:58am
Stuart-

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

I was rather hoping the screw could be popped out and a proper jeweller would be able to fix this.

Click image to enlarge

Rolex, I imagine would just change the bracelet at seventy trillion pounds. 2017 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography in black
2018 D300 SE Velar in champagne
Spiffing wheel centre caps available

Post #668287 4th Jul 2023 11:24am
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

AnotherMutley wrote:
@weegie I'm liking that 806, very nice. Thumbs Up

I've got a later Navitimer from the late 90's but they just don't have the same appeal as the original 806.

Thumbs Up They are quite collectors’ items now. I used to have a PPL and they were very popular as pilots’ watches. Bought it from a friend in the flying club who had bought a slightly later one, which had the red dot on the bezel. John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #668289 4th Jul 2023 11:31am
AnotherMutley

United Kingdom 

It depends, the next link is just out of shot, if its got a screw in it, yes you could replace two links if you can find them.

It looks like theres quite a bit of wear to the outer stainless steel section as well, most service centres use the measure of holding the watch up between thumb and index finger so the bracelet is at a right angle to the case and see hold much the strap curves and then push for a complete replacement bracelet.

The other thing to consider is that is you replace just two links, they'll stick out like a sore thumb against the old parts of the bracelet.

Post #668291 4th Jul 2023 11:36am
MAE

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV6 Indus Silver
Every Day Wear Watch.

My goto everyday wear watch takes a whole lot of abuse but still looks great after many years of wear. It's the most accurate watch I've ever owned, and incredibly robust, (Titanium Case, Sapphire Glass, Solar Powered with 6 month reserve). A new replacement NATO strap once in a while and it looks brand new again.

Click image to enlarge
 -----------------------------------------------
Indus Silver L405 SDV6 Range Rover 2020
Defender 90 Puma 2014
Discovery 5 HSE 2017
Discovery 4 HSE 2016

Post #668311 4th Jul 2023 1:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 10 of 12 <123 ... 9 101112>