Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic > Watches
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 12 <123 ... 101112>
Print this entire topic · 
Bl4ckD0g

Netherlands 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Try them on, there really is no better way for making up your mind...

Breitling was my first choice, followed by a Tag. Neither looked great on me. The Rolex Oyster Perpetual did, but I didn't like the look, and guess what the jeweller said no problem, we can change it for you. They send me for lunch in the wine bar across the road, and 2 hours later I had a custom watch. And thousands lighter in my bank account. Ok fully story was that my card was decline, embarrassing. I totally forgot that I just paid for a brand new car Rolling with laughter Quickly transferred some money and all sorted...

But...I had two attempted muggings in the UK, two in Spain, and 1 in Mauritius. I then rarely wore it when going out. Ever since the Apple Watch was released I never had another watch. Just so much more useful and comfortable to wear. Eventually my Roles was stolen in a burglary, I got the insurance payout but wasn't even tempted to go back to watches again.

Get an Apple Watch, much less hassle.

Post #616265 14th Dec 2021 6:11am
TJH1985

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

Rolex here, my other half got it me for my 30th. It wasn’t the brand I was going to go with, but once I tried on the explorer it was pretty much perfect for me.

I do however wear a Apple Watch most days and couldn’t be without it at work etc. Most special occasions, meals out, nights out or just days away from technology I’ll use the Rolex and it always feels extra special! Sold - Bell a 2015 MY16 Loire Blue Autobiography 4.4 SDV8
Previously George a 2007 MY07 Java Black VSE 3.6 TDV8
Previously a 04 MY04 Defender 90 Sad

Post #616266 14th Dec 2021 6:31am
Dixy

2016 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Loire Blue

A watch is far more than something that tells the time. My wife gave me a Rolex sub for my 50th and I have worn it almost every day since except for when I ware a Garrard that was given to my grand father for 20 years service the year I was born. I gave my son a Sea master for his 25th and he complains that I introduced him to another expensive addiction. letters not necessarily in the right order

Post #616272 14th Dec 2021 7:13am
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless I’m not at home, in which case I’m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I also bought an Apple Watch 7 when it was released. Cracking bit of tech, with so much information on your wrist. I’m trying to get used to wearing it, as I’ve never worn such a watch before and it’s a struggle.
But….. it’s really just a bit of soulless tech, even in stainless steel, as mine is. It just doesn’t create the same emotional response that a nice mechanical watch can.
In this day and age of everything being relatively disposable, it’s nice to have an item that you know will outlast you and can be passed down to the next generation and the one after that to be enjoyed.
For a special birthday I really don’t think an Apple Watch fits the bill of something to cherish and remember marking the event. Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #616277 14th Dec 2021 8:06am
Mr Tee

Scotland 

Agreed Alan, I got one from my sister a couple of months back, never realized you could actually take a call in it , felt like a proper dick. Nice bit of tech though.

To the op, go and try Loads on, you might be surprised what feels nice may not be the obvious choice Thumbs Up

Post #616281 14th Dec 2021 8:23am
xjsracer44

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE Supercharged Java Black

My wife bought me a Breitling Superocean Colt 20 odd years ago & I still wear it everyday. I also have another Breitling & a couple of Tags which I never wear, as I love the Superocean Colt, it’s my watch!

I later bought my wife a matching watch, but she wears an Apple Watch everyday, each to their own.

I looked into & tried all the alternatives, which I would recommend, as have others. Remember, a watch is not just for Christmas Laughing

Spend some time finding out what you like & what feels comfortable. Most of all, enjoy!

Post #616283 14th Dec 2021 8:28am
Flintstones

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

Like a few others, i have an unhealthy appetite for nice watches, but i do try to limit myself as there really is a limit as to how many i need.

I really like Breitling, i have 3. My oldest is now just over 20 years old and was a limited edition. I wanted it as it was a big watch (am a fairly large bloke!) and at the time everyone was buying Rolex's. Never had any bother with them, i get them serviced when they need it (on average every 3-4 years, sometimes 5) and they come back looking like new.

I also have a couple of Tag's that i very rarely wear. They gain time, which annoys me and really i should sell them and buy another Breitling.

I would like a Hublot, but cant justify the expense with the others i have.

I like Omega, they make some stunning watches.

Use the online second hand sites to look at several and get a feel for what you like, pay particular attention to the sizes and then compare that to your current watch so you can visualise it on your wrist.

There are a few differences between all the brands, but ultimately whatever you buy to commemorate your 40th will always make you smile when you look at it. Never trust a skinny chef

Post #616287 14th Dec 2021 9:05am
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I have a Rolex GMT master II which I have had for 35 years.

I also have a Breitling Navitimer which I have had since 1969. It's a bit of a collectors item and it needs a service. However, I am reluctant to get it done as I want to ensure tht they don't polish it and remove the patina which is a no no.

I've also got an Apple watch which is a bit of a contrast to the other two. John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #616314 14th Dec 2021 11:41am
TDV8_Tommy

Spain 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Baltic Blue

Thanks to everyone who has responded, I've enjoyed reading the replies and have found them very helpful. I've some more homework to do off the back of the replies.

It's very much an emotional purchase and you just know 'the one' when you see it. I've been searching for months and months, doing research and even keeping a spreadsheet of features and design elements important to me. I've loved learning about the different Calibres and movements etc.

This purchase is absolutely not for anyone else, i.e to show off and flaunt it - not my style in the slightest. If anything I'll be very discreet with it and only talk about it if someone asks.

To me, a watch needs to have a unique design, be special but useable - much like my approach to our FFRR, and the FFRR ethos in general.

Thankfully where we live (in the middle of nowhere) it's safe but that does mean it's quite a trek to physically see these timepieces. Madrid is the nearest Breitling boutique which is a ~4-hour drive.

I appreciate peoples comments that I must go and see as many as possible and see what suits me.

I do keep returning to Breitling... 2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster - Baltic Blue, Jet interior
1997 P38 2.5 DSE auto & 1998 P38 2.5 DT Manual
1988 Vogue 3.5 EFI - Manual, gone.
2004 Volvo C70 2.0T convertible, had since new.
2007 Mazda MX-5 2.0 Sport Roadster/Coupé, had since new.
2024 Mini Cooper S cabrio, JCW kit, 2.0, DCT auto

Post #616317 14th Dec 2021 11:47am
Mr Tee

Scotland 

They were the first proper brand I bought when I had a semi decent paycheck, always been a bit of a fanboy.

I almost went for a brand new one a couple of months back, before the omega popped up;

https://www.breitling.com/gb-en/watches/ch...0134101B1/

Easy to go watch blind though Mr. Green good luck on your search . It’s a nice journey getting there .

Post #616345 14th Dec 2021 2:50pm
cass

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Causeway Grey

I've never wanted or understood the fascination of expensive watches, I've openly mocked friends and colleagues who've spent enough to buy a decent car on a watch then deliberately bought fakes just to highlight their stupidity.
However, I recently bought a Bentley which as everyone knows has a Breitling clock fitted and find that I still don't want or understand the fuss about expensive watches but I absolutely NEED one NOW.
After dropping many, many hints if I don't get one for Xmas I will need to buy one in the new year.
It seems to be some kind of disease and once you're infected there's no escape.

Post #616359 14th Dec 2021 4:48pm
Mr Tee

Scotland 

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #616360 14th Dec 2021 4:51pm
speedymarktd6

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

I like Breitling as they offer a great customer service experience

I own a yellow faced avenger in Titanium

I might even consider selling it onto no6 Range Rover

Everyone needs a hobby

Post #616387 14th Dec 2021 8:43pm
ajac8

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Baltic Blue

There is something a little odd about this thread which shows up in so many facets of life.

There are those that dream. There are those that quietly get on with doing without a shout and yes there are those that feel the need to impart just how much cash they have. (or not perhaps)

I applaud 1 and 2. Number 3 I have to say is a little well, strange.

As for my watches. I have 3 Brietlings (two of which still work years later). Three Tags I think (not sure where they are) and a Rolex or two. All purveyed by the finest Mallorcan street sellers. Nobody would ever known the better ones are fake and quite frankly who would care if they did. Whistle 405 AB exec seats Baltic and Cirrus
93 RR Classic efi

Remember it's easier to get forgiveness than permission!

Gone in order:
4.4 TDV8 SE - gone to a good home
93 Classic hard dash Plymouth Blue
03 L322 Oslo Blue
2000 Disco TD5 ES Epsom Green
98 P38 Rioja Red
89 Classic Cairngorm Brown

Post #616410 14th Dec 2021 10:42pm
Dixy

2016 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Loire Blue

Having had ordinary things that tell the time all my life and like most, had to just look at Rolex in jewellers windows, 10 years ago I got the Sub that I had always wanted.
It has stood up to the daily abuse that has wrecked countless watches in the past, it is a beautiful piece of mechanical engineering, it makes me feel good every time I look at it, whether we like it or not it does make a statement to others and it would sell for more than I paid for it.
Knowing what is on your wrist is a fake would be like knowing the woman you are with is faking the orgasm. letters not necessarily in the right order

Post #616420 15th Dec 2021 7:18am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 12 <123 ... 101112>