Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > 4.4 TDV8 no start no crank
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 12 <123 ... 678 ... 101112>
Print this entire topic · 
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

sounds like good progress. engine spinning fast... sounds fast enough to start to me. I would be buying a can of easy start, and giving it 'both barrels'. _ie both intakes a good spray. -if only to know that it wants to fire up.
there has been a good amount of discussion on here regarding the 4.4 tdv8 starter no crank issue, and im going through it right now. the general theory, is that a surge, towards the starter motor actuating wire, during the starter engaging, shuts down the start function.. maybe something to do with it thinking the engine has started, and disengages solenoid etc.... I have it occasionally. I had been tempted to run a bit of wire from the actuating wire on the starter motor. (the thin wire under a screw connection) and run that up to the positive terminal, with a manual momentary switch, to manually crank the starter/engine, with the ignition on. I had wondered if it would work, but wondered if it relies on fuel pressure during cranking.. but surely enough residual pressure would get a few squirts in on first spin etc. this 'popular' fault could be including itself on your issue, which does sound like a solution/start is very near now. I would think that the lazy slow cracking issue is behind you now, and the 400 amp fuse is safe to give a longer spin. I would be making sure all accessories are off, like auto lights, heather motor, and radio etc.
n.b. when I get the starter motor no crank issue, it helps to do the start sequence in two stages, ie turn ignition on, then depress pedal, and then press start button firmly. if mine wont go, it makes a very feint click sound. and you try again...

Post #631065 9th May 2022 11:52am
Dave lincs

United Kingdom 

Dont want to sound stupid but are you sure the fuel in the tank is diesel, these days if mixed it can be difficult to tell i would take a sample of fuel from filter and test it for a presence of any petrol years ago had same problem with a rover 75 that nobody else could fix and sure enough it has mix of petrol with the diesel

Dave

Post #631071 9th May 2022 12:34pm
Kot

United Kingdom 

Having seen the oil filter (never ever seen anything like that Shocked ) and comments of very little oil in the engine when you first checked.Plus the effort to manually only ever getting 20 degrees initially.

Who knows what components were starved of oil and for how long?
It is obvious, your engine was initially seized who knows what the condition of the moving parts are after you have finally got it turn over.
A previous poster mentioned removing sump etc etc for a look see. I am thinking maybe you need to remove whole engine and check everything, including Turbo's etc as they certainly dont perform well without clean plentiful oil. Whistle 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #631075 9th May 2022 1:12pm
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue

I've just watched your cranking video's again.

Towards the end of the first video there's a ticking noise that starts to develop. Can you narrow that down at all?

Also, as it's cranking it does sound like compression starts to build versus what it sounds like at the start of the video.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it before, and I'd not recommend it really, but have you tried giving it a small shot of EasyStart? Not recommended but it'd tell you if it'd run or not. It could also do more damage if it fires and something really isn't happy. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2007 Range Rover Supercharged in Java Black with Ivory Leather
2012 Range Rover 5.0 SC Autobiography in Indus Silver with Jet/Ivory Interior
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #631354 12th May 2022 1:02am
Dijit

Scotland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Java Black

From experience with the 3.6 which is a totally different engine, it would die with 60 miles range still showing. I used to put fuel in then have someone turn the ignition on whilst I held a Schrader valve in the fuel rail open with the tip of a screwdriver. When the fuel bled through it hit the open bonnet with some force. Then the car would start. I assume the 4.4 will have a similar duel fuel pumps arrangement as it has the saddle tanks. So look for a Schrader valve on the high pressure fuel rail.
The IID tool should also allow you to check the fuel line pressure?
Hope this helps. Rehab is for quitters!!!

RR 2007 3.6 TDV8 Java Black
RR 2007 3.6 TDV8 Zermatt silver
RR 2000 P38 4.6 Met red
Mercedes 300TE 4-Matic
Nissan 300Z
Citroen XM 2.5TD X 6
Bentley Continental R
Hydrocon Highlander
Hydrocon Hamilton
Hydrocon Huntly
The restoration of the last three will account for my time during retirement!

Departed
LR 1992 110 2.5TD
RR 2000 Holland & Holland 4.6 LPG
RR 4.2 Supercharged with LPG, Vogue SE 2007 Buckingham Blue
RR 2002 4.4 V8 Zambesi Silver

Post #631357 12th May 2022 1:11am
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville

A starter motor will slow after cranking for several seconds due to the battery depleting, not necessarily slowing due to increasing compression but still possible especially if the exhaust is blocked.

The schrader valve is in the low pressure supply line.

Lot of things to check...

Post #631361 12th May 2022 3:20am
SilverSpanner

Scotland 2012 Range Rover SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

According to the Owners Manual, there is fuel system inertia switch in the system that can be tripped. It says to seek assistance should it have been operated. 2012, FFRR Westminster TDV8 - Orkney Grey
2003, FFRR Vogue TD6 - Zambezi Silver
IIDBT

Post #631471 13th May 2022 7:59am
SilverSpanner

See above 2012, FFRR Westminster TDV8 - Orkney Grey
IIDBT

Post #631473 13th May 2022 7:59am
PeterRRVogue

United Kingdom 

Sorry guys for the lack of updates as I was snowed under with work this week. Unfortunately I seem to be stuck on the 'no start / no crank' issue once again unable to resolve it. I get no IID fault codes, and all the engine compartment fuses seem to be fine (including all three MEGA fuses). I also manually checked the voltage at the starter motor and all seems to be in order. However when I press the starter button (with ignition on), it just restarts (see video below). I feel at complete loss now on what this could be as I believed that the original cause behind the no crank was the blown 400A MEGA fuse. Once this was replaced alongside the starter motor and the alternator, it was cranking for about three days days, until it wasn't for no apparent reason! Any ideas on what could be causing this would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by PeterRRVogue on 13th May 2022 7:15pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #631538 13th May 2022 7:08pm
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

Maybe do a reset ? Disconnect the battery, wait 30mins (?) then touch the pos and neg leads together briefly and reconnect. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #631540 13th May 2022 7:13pm
PeterRRVogue

United Kingdom 

Quote:
Maybe do a reset ? Disconnect the battery, wait 30mins (?) then touch the pos and neg leads together briefly and reconnect.

I had the battery disconnected since Monday afternoon until an hour ago.

Post #631541 13th May 2022 7:17pm
SilverSpanner

Have you checked the earth side of the battery? Engine earth strap etc? 2012, FFRR Westminster TDV8 - Orkney Grey
IIDBT

Post #631543 13th May 2022 7:32pm
PeterRRVogue

United Kingdom 

Quote:
Have you checked the earth side of the battery? Engine earth strap etc?

I've thoroughly checked the earth and I don't seem to have any issues there. I even connected a jump cable from the negative terminal on the battery to the engine without any difference in the behaviour.

Post #631547 13th May 2022 7:45pm
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville

How is the positive terminal?

Post #631562 13th May 2022 10:00pm
PeterRRVogue

United Kingdom 

Alright guys, so it's indeed most likely is a bad earth after all Big Cry Moving the jump lead cable around to a different location this morning seemed to have fixed the issue. Will have to locate and examine the engine earth strap to see if that's faulty but I will worry about that once I know if the engine is running. So I tried cranking it again three times this morning and on each time it fired up for a split of a second (after a few second of cranking) only to stall straight away (see video below). It made the gear knob to raise for the first time.

Start attempt no.1:

Start attempt no.2:

Start attempt No.3:

I did buy couple of cans of easy start but I haven't tried them yet. Also will need to get a second pair of hands to do that

Post #631605 14th May 2022 1:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 7 of 12 <123 ... 678 ... 101112>