Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Aircon - off and on....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 6 123456>
Print this entire topic · 
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey
Aircon - off and on....

First time I really needed it this afternoon on a long run down the M6 / M1. The cooling was switching between periods of cooling and not cooling. and wouldn't maintain a comfortable temperature. When it was cooling it almost felt too cold like a very old AC system that just has an on and off switch. Before I take it to a garage any pointers? 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #635198 22nd Jun 2022 7:10pm
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

you should have your Aircon on most of the time as it keeps the seals moist and sound. it also removes water vapour from the air inside. (A/c can also be used for heating)

did you have the auto button on/illuminated?

Post #635202 22nd Jun 2022 7:27pm
MikeO

Scotland 2009 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

I understand over-filling can cause those symptoms. That said, I once had a 5 series that did it and could never get to the bottom of it. 2016 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate
<gone>2009 FF Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue</gone>
<gone>2015 BMW 520D SE (not my favourite car)</gone>
<gone>2009 D3 HSE Galway Green</gone>

Post #635205 22nd Jun 2022 7:41pm
JayGee

It's always on (Auto). Never had to deal with this amount of heat before so only noticed the cooling not working continually. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #635206 22nd Jun 2022 7:44pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

First thing to do with any aircon issues, is to recover the refrigerant and compare to the specified charge weight. 10-15% under is acceptable for a system not recharged within 2-3 years and rarely used.
Your issue does sound like a problem with the refrigerant control valve in the compressor or possibly a blocked condensate drain causing the evaporator to freeze up.

If you set the climate control to 20deg. C. for example, with the interior at, say, 25deg. C. (and on full auto) the air would have to be significantly colder to reduce the interior temperature so could therefore feel 'cold' until the interior temperature was approaching the setpoint, where it would 'level off' in terms of air blend temperature and fan speed. If for some reason, the refrigerant ceased to cool, then when it resumed, the process would start again.

Post #635207 22nd Jun 2022 7:49pm
JayGee

Also if I set the temp to minimum the air from the vents is not 'that' cold. Maybe I'll try a regas and take it from there. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #635217 22nd Jun 2022 8:23pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

If it needs a recharge and it's been in regular use, then there's a leak. It's illegal to recharge a known leaking system, whoever does it can be liable for a fine of up to £5k and lose their F-Gas certification - Enforcement is another thing however....

Do you have diagnostics that can read the evaporator temperature? if so, set the temperature to something reasonable, check the exterior and interior sensor values make sense and run the engine and aircon on auto, as long as the evap. temperature drops below 7deg.C and more-or less stays there, i.e. doesn't suddenly rise to 10 degrees or pendulum wildly between 4 degrees and 12 degrees for example, then the issue isn't within the refrigerant circuit.

Last edited by Phoenix on 22nd Jun 2022 8:38pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #635218 22nd Jun 2022 8:34pm
JayGee

I'd presume a reputable garage would pressure test the system? 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #635219 22nd Jun 2022 8:37pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

Always check, never assume Wink they *should* however, not all will due to time constraints or unwillingness to get involved... to be fair, aircon leaks can be so small it takes months for the charge to drop enough to show a defect - something that wouldn't show up in the standard 30 min vac / pressure check, the 'sniffer' I use will detect (apparently) a leak that gives a loss of 4g in 12 months - and that's not the best one available, sometimes it needs a UV dye to be added and booked in for a check in three months with strict instructions to not jetwash the radiator area of the vehicle....

Post #635220 22nd Jun 2022 8:44pm
garyRR

United Kingdom 
Re: Aircon - off and on....

JayGee wrote:
First time I really needed it this afternoon on a long run down the M6 / M1. The cooling was switching between periods of cooling and not cooling. and wouldn't maintain a comfortable temperature. When it was cooling it almost felt too cold like a very old AC system that just has an on and off switch. Before I take it to a garage any pointers?

Sounds like the well-known RCV/PCV issue on your air con compressor. I get exactly the same symptoms and was something i got money off for when i bought the car (my hope was that cleaning the cabin temperature sensor and fan or an air con recharge would solve the issue cheaply). A good test to confirm is to leave the vehicle in park and rev over 2,000rpm (when you have the air con switched on but no cold air is coming through). If the air con starts working (could take 30 seconds or so), it's 100% an issue with the compressor (RCV or clutch - either of which mean a compressor replacement).

I'm no HVAC expert but I think it's being hopeful (and wasting money) to think a recharge will solve the issue. If the vehicle is capable of providing ice cool air, you've got plenty of refrigerant in the system and no leak, as otherwise the system would be incapable of providing cool air, with insufficient or no refrigerant to exchange.

Maltings Offroad have got them for £280 at the moment. I've just ordered one.

I'm planning on doing the job myself - a quote from a reputable garage was £460 for the compressor PLUS air con recharge PLUS £600 labour! Total bill was £1,100. My costs will be £280 for the part plus £80 for a local garage to pressure test and vacuum before I do the job and refill once the job is done.

Also crucially, as others have pointed out, leave your air con on all year. It will prolong the life of the system/components. 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Last edited by garyRR on 22nd Jun 2022 9:26pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #635223 22nd Jun 2022 9:18pm
JayGee

From my post earlier - it's not capable of providing ice cold air at any time. It's at best 'chilled' 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #635224 22nd Jun 2022 9:25pm
garyRR

United Kingdom 

"When it was cooling it almost felt too cold like a very old AC system that just has an on and off switch"

It'll most likely be your compressor. 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Last edited by garyRR on 22nd Jun 2022 10:27pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #635225 22nd Jun 2022 9:26pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

Christ - you're good - if only I had your insight and balls of crystal not gristle, I could have forgone all those years of training and experience, being able to definitively diagnose over the interwebs is a skill indeed, I take my virtual hat off to you.

Post #635226 22nd Jun 2022 9:38pm
garyRR

United Kingdom 

Not going there. If you're bored and looking for an argument, please go elsewhere.

I note you have a 3.6. The 4.4 has a known issue with the RCV on the compressor and is the cause of most A/C problems, which the 3.6 does not. JayGee has a 4.4 TDV8 and was reporting exactly the same symptoms I had.

Speaking from experience having just gone through all these steps, and sharing it to help out another forum member to save time and expense is what the site is about, not criticising other users. 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Post #635230 22nd Jun 2022 10:06pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

See my first post which mentions 'refrigerant control valve'. It may surprise you to know that people have knowledge which extends beyond their own vehicles...
Without direct measurements, it's all a best guess though, isn't it? We have a service receptionist that has an almost clairvoyant ability to pre-diagnose faults, all because 'my boyfriend is a tech, you know' although not a very good one and works 30 miles away on a completely different brand, but still.... it gives her some sort of edge, apparently.

Your experience could well be someone else's blind alley, I wouldn't recommend your solution as a fix due to confirmation bias. each and every problem needs it's own solution.

Post #635231 22nd Jun 2022 10:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 6 123456>