Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L405) > Alternative to L405 gear selector
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 9 of 11 <123 ... 8 91011>
Print this entire topic · 
JDGeorgia

United States 2006 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Buckingham Blue

“Hope springs eternal in the human breast; Man never Is, but always To be blest." A. Pope (Poet - not the Papist Pontiff...)

A day later and $100 shorter... A parts yard in Nebraska, of all places, had a Shadow Walnut cupholder for sale on eBay. I messaged asking if they would be willing to remove the double laminate Shadow Walnut cover and sell me just that. They agreed... Bought some Foam Core to start mocking up a plywood laminate 'hanger'.

Any of you boys know if there are technical drawings of the L494 shift lever somewhere?
I can't get the 'chrome beauty ring' off and it is terribly hard to create a template of that.
The thought is to build a 'donut' with the chrome beauty ring sticking up through it and the outer dimensions fitting into the hole left by the spinny knob.

In short - THE ASK IS... Mechanical or Technical Drawings of the L494 gearshift - or possibly the L494 Chrome Beauty Ring (not the Bezel)

Click image to enlarge
 2006 L322 HSE LUX 4.4NA Jag V8 Buckingham Blue/Ivory - 'Col Reb'
Rolled Yahtzee Aug 2023 222,222Miles
2016 L405 HSE TD6. Santorini Black over Almond. - 'Donna the Diesel'
Only L405 IN THE KNOWN UNIVERSE with an L494 Shift Lever Fitted!
97K at purchase Sept of 2023

Post #679268 2nd Dec 2023 12:48am
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

Sorry mate, can't help with a drawing, best I can suggest is use a profiling gauge to measure and make up a copy to use as the fitting jig.

Post #679277 2nd Dec 2023 8:25am
fisha

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

Why don't you 3d scan the gear selector and use that in a modelling program. Plenty of videos on how to 3d scan with phones.

If you know one of the dimensions, you'd be able to scale the model correctly in software to find the other relevant dimensions from it. Heck, you could then also scan the existing selector area place the lever in place and take measurements from there.

but the profile gauge tool as suggested above is likely a whole lot easier ! V8 or else ...

Post #679387 3rd Dec 2023 11:09pm
JDGeorgia

fisha - talk to me, Brother...

Give me some links - point me in the right direction! Bow down
I have an old Android Moto G7, but my wife has Apple products if that helps

Another 2 steps back this evening... I found a video on how to disassemble the RRSport L494 shifter.
It is somewhat similar to pulling the ol' L322 shifter knob off WITH A GIANT EXCEPTION... There is a PCB up top that drives the LEDs and registers the trigger and park buttons. That connector is wider than the hole in the shift knob shaft - nice work there JLR. They did give you enough unwrapped wire to turn the connector vertically to stuff it through the hole - I noticed that - one working Sport Shifter too late.
In 'convincing' the grip to come off the steel shaft, I destroyed said tiny connector that transmits the signals down to the brains in the base. Censored

Click image to enlarge

Phoenix - can you do anything with that?!?!

If/When all this is done - maybe I can sell the guts for parts - the trigger and P button seem to be a failure point on these. Or I can keep it as replacement parts for myself! Every L405 owner needs an EXTRA L494 gearshift. No?

I found another for about $100... it's on the way. (Sigh) My family will be wondering why they're all getting cheap socks and gruel for Christmas.

I do have a ton of measurements on the shifter and the underside of the console - I will try to get those turned into kinda sorta technical drawings in the coming days/weeks.

It may be next year before I get back on this - the Holiday season has started. Office Parties, Neighborhood parties and Bowl Season!

@fisha - or anyone else that knows about this 3D scanning with a phone... Links are a big help!

Tomorrow, I am going to reassemble the dash with the original spinny knob - I need some time to calm down. 2006 L322 HSE LUX 4.4NA Jag V8 Buckingham Blue/Ivory - 'Col Reb'

Post #679401 4th Dec 2023 4:19am
fisha

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

Down the rabbit hole ...

So the bit he skims over is the creation of the scanning model. Basically he is scanning to generate and STL file. If you then search youtube for "create STL with phone" you'll find a ton of videos suggesting various softwares where you take pictures from multiple angles of an object and it'll generate and 3d model of the object which you can then inport into the software as per the original video above.

Its not something I have tried personally before, but I've seen it used, and that vid above I would say is as close as you're going to get to what you are looking to achieve.

edit - another vid about scanning options

V8 or else ...

Post #679434 4th Dec 2023 5:20pm
JDGeorgia

I am travelling this week - it will be a good diversion in the hotel...
Learning a new something! Thumbs Up

Good stuff - thank you! 2006 L322 HSE LUX 4.4NA Jag V8 Buckingham Blue/Ivory - 'Col Reb'

Post #679461 4th Dec 2023 8:43pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

The PCB header cables are pretty standard and can be bought from fleabay or Amazon pre-wired. Might be a challenge soldering to the PCB at the other end though.

Post #679462 4th Dec 2023 8:57pm
JDGeorgia

I am pretty sure there is a connector down there as well...
Let me see if I have some pics from the other day when it got weird.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I will look for it... but what is it even called?
Flat white clip in 10 wire tiny thing...
Female Connector both ends 13mm wide, maybe 3mil tall with the clip 2006 L322 HSE LUX 4.4NA Jag V8 Buckingham Blue/Ivory - 'Col Reb'

Post #679466 4th Dec 2023 9:23pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

The harness assembly will be problematic, are there any electronics repair shops you could visit?
This is the sort of thing but you need to check the connector pitch, It looks like 0.8mm from the photos
https://www.indiamart.com/proddetail/wire-...05055.html

Yes, I know it's the wrong continent but the description and the pictures may help you locally.

Post #679473 4th Dec 2023 9:55pm
JDGeorgia

is pitch what we call wire gauge?
In my world most automotive wire with decent amps is 12GA.
Most everything else is 14-18GA
Based on my pigtail experience, I would guess this is 22GA... 0.6438mm?

I can look for an electronics repair shop... these days most things are so cheap - it is easier to replace than repair. 2006 L322 HSE LUX 4.4NA Jag V8 Buckingham Blue/Ivory - 'Col Reb'

Post #679487 4th Dec 2023 10:55pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

No mate, the pitch is the distance between the centres of each connector pin or socket.

An internet picture to illustrate:-

Click image to enlarge

I was thinking a 'Mom & Pop' electronics shop might have connectors or at least a cable assembly to hand that you could use the connector housing from. The receptacles will release with gentle pressure on the barbs.

Conductor CSA is likely to be 0.5mm at best, most likely 0.35mm, they may not be all the same size though.

Post #679488 4th Dec 2023 11:00pm
JDGeorgia

I love learning new things... Thank you.
Email out to a couple of electronics shops (mostly PC repair shops) to see if they can help.
The new one will be here before I could get this fixed, but maybe I can recoup some cash!
Upgrade the Fam from gruel to ramen noodles... 2006 L322 HSE LUX 4.4NA Jag V8 Buckingham Blue/Ivory - 'Col Reb'

Post #679541 5th Dec 2023 3:26pm
JDGeorgia

Some Progress today... I did a mockup using birch plywood and refined the CNC file that I did for the 'Veneer' portion of the dash. I am very happy with the way it turned out and glad it only took 3 tries to get it very close.

It is left a touch snug so that the final shot with live ammo, so to speak, can be fine sanded to fit.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

It is actually a better fit than shows up in the pics because it is impossible to hold everything at the angles. The very front of the L494 beauty ring has multiple 'ripples' that I am not even going to try to accommodate.
I think I will leave this as a piece that just has 'friction fit' from the top. Another thought is to use hook and loop (Velcro) to hold it down...
More weird math(s) underneath - None of this is a whole number... even in mm!?!?!
There will have to be some milling to get the shifter at the correct depth.

Speaking of live ammo or no Second Amendment... all of these thefts of Range Rovers y'all are having...
How is this for an idea? Cut the Brown/Red wire in the harness and splice in a switch that you can hide where you want... under the dash, in the center console by the USB Plugs... or in the upper glove box behind the Valet function!
They may be able to get in it and may be able to start it... but it ain't going anywhere!
From Phoenix a few pages back:
Click image to enlarge

Just a thought. 2006 L322 HSE LUX 4.4NA Jag V8 Buckingham Blue/Ivory - 'Col Reb'

Post #679927 9th Dec 2023 11:00pm
JDGeorgia

More progress this evening...

Worked on a mockup for the 'SubFrame'.
The shifter sits on top of this and then it is screwed up into the Standard L405 holes.
I am mocking it up with 6mil plywood, but may use 9 or 12 in the final configuration.
My brain turned to mush and ran out my ear hours ago - so I cannot regurgitate the numbers, but the subframe has to drop below the existing pegs in the 10-14mm range. I am planning on doing this with plywood 'spacers on the top side of the sub frame (red box below). Here is the drawing I pump through F-Engrave to get g-code for my mill.

Click image to enlarge

The thicker plywood obviously gives it more rigidity, but the holes have to be countersunk to accommodate the thicker subframe. The notch or cutout that the L494 lever slides into is slightly larger than it needs to be. This is how I will do the final adjustment in terms of front to back.
Click image to enlarge

From the top - it is getting very close! Ignore the back right corner... I destroyed that hole trying to do the countersink so there is nothing holding that corner up...

Click image to enlarge

The underside of the cup holder lid will have to be milled down to get the cleats off - not ready to mess with that yet.
Click image to enlarge

As my good friend, Dr. F, says - 1 step forward, 2 steps back (The JLR Shuffle!).
I think this is a couple of pretty good steps forward, so i am holding my breath for the 4 steps back. Rolling Eyes 2006 L322 HSE LUX 4.4NA Jag V8 Buckingham Blue/Ivory - 'Col Reb'

Post #680044 11th Dec 2023 1:58am
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

JDGeorgia wrote:

Speaking of live ammo or no Second Amendment... all of these thefts of Range Rovers y'all are having...
How is this for an idea? Cut the Brown/Red wire in the harness and splice in a switch that you can hide where you want... under the dash, in the center console by the USB Plugs... or in the upper glove box behind the Valet function!
They may be able to get in it and may be able to start it... but it ain't going anywhere!

Just a thought.

Good progress there!

ref. the extra security... I may have done something similar Wink

Post #680046 11th Dec 2023 8:12am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 9 of 11 <123 ... 8 91011>