Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L460 2022) > P440e vs. D350
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Bill

United Kingdom 

FastLaneJB wrote:

I believe it's either 2025 or 2026 that Land Rover is going to stop offering diesels completely. So just keep that in mind.

That’s news to me… thanks Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Post #667979 30th Jun 2023 3:51pm
FastLaneJB

United Kingdom 

Wow, that is indeed impressive. You are either the hypermile King or as you say that's not the case and it's just really efficient. That's quite a step up from my D300 Disco. Thanks for sharing.

Looked up where I'd read around Diesels and this article suggests it's 2026 but hard to know exactly when. So could be roughly 2.5 years at the low end left to get a Diesel Range Rover before they are gone forever.

https://www.driving.co.uk/news/business/el...vers-2026/

Post #667987 30th Jun 2023 4:56pm
Phil.

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Here are some pump to pump figures over 3 days and a variety of journey types and lengths, some only a couple of miles.

Total 473 miles and 57.6 ltrs or 12.7 gallons = 37.2mpg average and £85 worth of diesel. MY23 D350 HSE
On my 7th RR plus various other JLR vehicles

Post #668105 1st Jul 2023 7:43pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

When dropping £120k on a car I struggle to care between 25 mpg and 45 mpg. It’s objectively measurable so maybe that’s why we talk about it. Whereas the ownership or driving experience is not measurable. I spend more on insurance than on fuel by quite a margin (thank you, London and no driveway). Yet I don’t care about that either. So is it a higher annual mileage that means caring about mpg becomes genuinely meaningful? L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso

Post #668116 1st Jul 2023 10:10pm
Phil.

I thought this debate might attract such a comment.

I agree that mpg is immaterial to the costs of buying/running a RR and I’m on my 7th.

My comments in regard to the mpg of the D350 relate to the original post in the thread and how pleased I am with the economy versus my previous L405 SDV8’s and I suspect it betters any PHEV driven in the same circumstances (largely long trips) any with no option to charge them at home while on a road trip.

I don’t expect anyone to care about mpg when deciding purchase a RR but it’s been an unexpected bonus. MY23 D350 HSE

Post #668121 1st Jul 2023 10:41pm
Martin2

England 

Agree that fuel costs aren’t a massive consideration at this level of depreciation. But….the benefit of better mpg is longer range and less time spent in petrol stations, which can only be a good thing. MY23 Panamera E-Hybrid
MY19 SDV8 Autobiography - Sold

Post #668126 2nd Jul 2023 7:42am
FastLaneJB

United Kingdom 

Exactly that Martin2. I don't care about the fuel costs either, I've had cars with a V12 in them. It doesn't mean I don't still find it interesting around the efficiency levels of a vehicle and if it's improved compared to previous models.

As you say this mostly boils down to convenience. Longer range means less stops to fill it up. Frankly I'd love it if they just stuck a 150 litre tank in 😉

For the sake of this thread it is going to depend on two things. One if it's a company vehicle there is a very nice tax break in getting the PHEV in terms of BIK. No one I assume wants to pay extra tax if they can avoid it.

The other reason is if most of your journeys are inside say 50 miles then you hit that really convenient level of just plugging in when you get home (Assuming you have a driveway) and not having to faff filling up either with fuel hardly ever.

Post #668128 2nd Jul 2023 11:16am
Phil.

That’s exactly the conclusion I came to earlier in this thread and is why, given I mainly use the RR for longer journeys, I went for the D350 option.

As you say the PHEV is the right option for other types of usage/tax reduction if available. MY23 D350 HSE

Post #668131 2nd Jul 2023 11:27am
Martin2

England 

I replaced my SDV8 with a hybrid, but don’t do a lot of sub 40 miles journeys and don’t run it through a company! I wasn’t looking for a hybrid, I bought it because I loved the car and I have found that I like pottering around on electric, then having that electric motor boosting the petrol engine giving it decent performance plus it sounds good with the sports exhaust switched on.

It’s working out about 5p a mile cheaper than my RR, but that’s hardly life changing at c£50 a month! MY23 Panamera E-Hybrid

Post #668133 2nd Jul 2023 12:34pm
FastLaneJB

United Kingdom 

It's great to have choice. I think it's one of the best PHEV's around as it has a good electric range and also that battery isn't eating up boot space as it does on most PHEV's.

The only disappointment really is where Harry is mentioning that it's not nearly as efficient as the last generation P400e on electric. You'd think it should match or beat it in a newer car.

Post #668177 3rd Jul 2023 12:31am
RDR

United Kingdom 

If I was using ours for predominantly longer journeys I would have gone for that diesel, it’s a second car and averaging less than 50miles a day so running as an EV mostly. Over 4000 miles now and on 3rd tank of petrol. Did a 120 mile trip in hybrid the other day and got 76MPG going but only 32mpg on the return as I couldn’t be bothered charging it. MY23 PHEV HSE
MY19 Disco 5 HSE - gone
My16 Disco 4 HSE LUXURY - gone
My12 Disco 4 HSE - gone
MY05 Disco 3 S - gone but not forgotten

Post #668239 3rd Jul 2023 7:07pm
FastLaneJB

United Kingdom 

Obviously again cost not a big deal in this crowd but what I often find interesting in car reviews when they give fuel economy of a plug in hybrid is they completely miss the cost of electricity. It's like if the car is using half the fuel, it must be half the running cost. They never seem to factor in that unless you can charge for free, it also has a cost you have to factor in. I think it can mislead a lot of regular folks where running costs are important.

Post #668248 3rd Jul 2023 8:06pm
RDR

United Kingdom 

Exactly a lot of phev folk miss calculate cost and almost factor the false saving into the man maths justifying purchasing a new car.

I’m lucky running cost isn’t a concern, I have a decent home charging setup with renewables and I like EVs as well as ICE. MY23 PHEV HSE
MY19 Disco 5 HSE - gone
My12 Disco 4 HSE - gone

Post #668250 3rd Jul 2023 8:16pm
Martin2

England 

It does happen a lot, talk of mega mpg figures from hybrids….electricity isn’t usually free. I get some of mine for free as a few of my site have the facility to plug in, but it’s best to work back to a pence per mile. The answer to that (only 1,000 miles in) is c18p, which equates to doing 35mpg in a petrol car on full fat petrol. MY23 Panamera E-Hybrid

Post #668252 3rd Jul 2023 8:30pm
RDR

United Kingdom 

For EV journeys it should read 0 Mpg not 250+ mpg

Click image to enlarge
 MY23 PHEV HSE
MY19 Disco 5 HSE - gone
My12 Disco 4 HSE - gone

Post #668257 3rd Jul 2023 8:39pm