Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > How to justify buying a FFRR
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Nowaytk

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

I started the JLR affair with a new Evoque (came from an Audi), then on to a new Sport (sdv6), then 2 weeks before the sdv6 Velar arrived, had the dreaded snapped crank šŸ™„, was only in the Velar 6 months, think the crank issue was in the back of my mind? So a couple of years in an F-pace SVR, HAD to get rid if I wanted to keep my license šŸ˜‰, got myself into a GLE, which lasted 3 months šŸ˜³ before that definitely had to go and got myself into my current SDV8 Ab, by far the best car Iā€™ve had, just does everything I need, effortless mile muncher, cavernous cargo area and makes me smile every time I get in it, only downside apart from itā€™s turning circle šŸ™„ is its made me start looking at the new shapešŸ˜³, thankfully no matter what man maths I do, canā€™t get into one yet šŸ˜‰

Post #660233 24th Mar 2023 1:43pm
Sandyt

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

I had quite a few Jag sovereigns then one day was given a Classic when mine was in for service and that was it SWMBO wouldn't have the Jag back so we have been Range Rovers ever since so it sold itself Thumbs Up

Post #660267 24th Mar 2023 5:24pm
JoolsB

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Andy S wrote:
Oh yes Jools. Kept that car, an L322, four years and swapped it for a brand new F Pace. Had that about a year and on a road trip to Northern Ireland SWMBO commented ā€˜this trip would be better in one of thoseā€™ as a FFRR swept past. On return home I went looking and found the current L405. SWMBO very pleased. Now she wonā€™t let me sell the current one, even for a 5.0 scā€¦..

Hmm, I was thinking about an F Pace when the time to get rid of the fatty comes - Iā€™m not that keen on the 405 shape (although I do like them in red) - Iā€™d only want a proper supercharged F though - are you saying Iā€™d be disappointed?

Post #660275 24th Mar 2023 7:14pm
Old-un

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Causeway Grey

Silly Question eh RR owner

Post #660288 24th Mar 2023 10:41pm
Bill

United Kingdom 

Had a long wheeled Jaguar.

Moved house in 2001 , The Jaguar didnā€™t like the Essex roads, twisting each and every way

Only solution Very Happy Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Post #660389 26th Mar 2023 12:31pm
Andy S

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Aintree Green

JoolsB wrote:
Andy S wrote:
Oh yes Jools. Kept that car, an L322, four years and swapped it for a brand new F Pace. Had that about a year and on a road trip to Northern Ireland SWMBO commented ā€˜this trip would be better in one of thoseā€™ as a FFRR swept past. On return home I went looking and found the current L405. SWMBO very pleased. Now she wonā€™t let me sell the current one, even for a 5.0 scā€¦..

Hmm, I was thinking about an F Pace when the time to get rid of the fatty comes - Iā€™m not that keen on the 405 shape (although I do like them in red) - Iā€™d only want a proper supercharged F though - are you saying Iā€™d be disappointed?

Based on my own experience, yes. Thd F pace is a nice car and mine was a top spec Portfolio trim 3.0 v6 diesel. But within weeks of ownership I realised Iā€™d made a mistake. You donā€™t get anything like the same experience driving one as you do a FFRR.

Post #660414 26th Mar 2023 5:15pm
davedorson

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Barolo Black

I wanted one.

Nothing else fitted the bill for me, I did have a chat with the wife about it, she very much lets me do what I want with cars though.

I knew it'd likely be an expensive ownership experience, that the road tax would be expensive, the full bill higher than expected and so on, but your a long time dead right?

Logic and reason doesn't really come into it, if it did we'd all drive Aygo's or something.

Post #660460 27th Mar 2023 10:59am
Ennoch

Ultimately it's your money and no-one else's so any choice on what to spend it on is yours too!

For me, despite not needing much in the way of off road ability, there's about 5% of the time where it's pretty important. Small SUV's are crap and a long way from the early days of Isuzu Troopers and early Shogun's which were functional trucks with a comfortable interior. Modern ones give all the downsides (higher COG, less performance) without any of the upsides (chunky tyres, off road ability, departure angles and the ability to deal with holed roads). Pickups obviously have more off road ability than your boggo SUV but then they're slow, noisy and have a crap ride. Most performance SUV's also come with rubber band tyres, negating any benefit to them. Which leaves you with the Toyota Land Cruiser which is reliable but full of hard plastic and crazy expensive, or the L322/D4 etc which are a bit more fragile but tick the boxes of comfort, a pleasant place to be, relaxing, decent off road and good on the roads that are in the state they're in at the moment (and unlikely to get any better). Obviously the lower reliability is offset by a pretty low relative purchase price.

Post #660529 27th Mar 2023 10:13pm
Ron Greevar

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Galway Green

Sorry Merchy, but to answer your question, NO you can't justify buying a FFRR!
I tried to after suffering an itch which began when I saw Margaret Thatcher's Daimler arrive at an election event (I am/was a journalist) with two police P38s in tow. One was dark blue and the other in Epsom Green with tan leather.
I knew I wanted a Range Rover, in green with tan leather and in the blink of an eye (ok after 40+

years, a mortgage, an old crumbling house, recessions, a credit crunch, cancer and covid) I scratched that itch and 25 months ago I bought a MY 2011 Galway Green TDV8 Vogue with Sand leather and 127k under its belt. Won't bore you with all the usual stuff about regular servicing at a good indy, keeping on top of its 'little foibles' yadda, yadda yadda... (which I do)
She has now done 150k and currently looks horrible covered in mud inside and out (wife is currently poorly and I have to muck out her horse every day at the end of a rutted track).
BUT the next sunny day I will give her a wash and brush up (talking about the car). She will look a million dollars, I will waft down the road, other cars will let me out at junctions (try that in a BMW?), I will catch her reflection in a shop window (still the car), give her the beans (where safe to do so) and sigh a big happy sigh!
Ron Thumbs Up

Post #660579 28th Mar 2023 3:53pm
Merchy

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

Nice explanation Ron Thumbs Up

I did not expect much response to this thread, and a lot of the comments are very much alike, obviously there will be some people thinking 'the village idiot is talking rubbish again' Whistle
At the end of the day, despite what a lot of people say, I think the a FFRR is a car bought more with the heart not the head, they are so good to drive, so versatile, most of the time, they put a smile on your face despite the running costs. A distinct lack of alternatives means lots of people choose these, from an old bus like mine right through to the eye watering price end of the spectrum.

I am slowly changing bits on mine to keep it long term, the front right has had, new - strut / airbag, drive shaft, knuckle, bearing, etc, etc, the front nearside will soon have the same, have changed all discs / calipers, regular services etc, I now have most of the parts to do all suspension parts on the back end including struts / airbags. Is it a good financial decision to do this on mine? probably not, but I love the car and love doing the work on it - The heart ruling the head.

So thinking about it, I can justify buying it, on the grounds that it is my version of therapy. Rolling with laughter It's also cheaper than going to see a trickcyclist Whistle

As for being let out at junctions, what makes me laugh is that when I let people out, quite often there is a look of SURPRISE that someone in RR has let THEM out Surprised Good bit of PR Thumbs Up

Post #660587 28th Mar 2023 5:40pm
TJH1985

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

My other half instigated our purchase(s), we got a border collie and it wasnā€™t going to be fitting in her 350Z or my 335d saloon!

9 years later and the list is endless, but top of her list would be the space, comfort, diesel pre heater etc she had always fancied one and the dog was the perfect excuse!

Her justification was ā€œIā€™ve always fancied oneā€

We have had the L405 coming up to 4 years, and it still feels special whenever I drive it!

I am keeping a eye on 5.0ā€™s atm, quite fancy one as a last petrol hurrah! Sold - Bell a 2015 MY16 Loire Blue Autobiography 4.4 SDV8
Previously George a 2007 MY07 Java Black VSE 3.6 TDV8
Previously a 04 MY04 Defender 90 Sad

Post #660596 28th Mar 2023 7:53pm
appj62

England 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

Could I justify buying mine? Certainly not! I bought mine to scratch an itch. Intention was to give it a year. The missus said NO to moving it on and, coming up to a week or so before 10 years of ownership...... šŸ¤”Agree with Merchy about letting other folk out at junctions but I really have to be in a good mood šŸ˜‰ Previous cars:
S-Max 2007-2013 (only diesel I've had, good car but expensive when diesely bits go wrong, so what's the point?)
Galaxy 2001-2007
Mondeo Estate 1997-2001
Sierra Estate 1993-1997
Uno Turbo 1987 -1993
Fiesta 1984 - 1987
Fiat 127 1982 - 1984

Post #660601 28th Mar 2023 8:50pm
Fox889

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

I had a conversation years ago with our accountant about a certain car I fancied at the time, his words have stuck with me for yearsā€¦ā€¦ā€donā€™t sit in your rocking chair in old age thinking ā€˜what ifā€™ā€¦ā€ Simple, if you fancy one, buy it. I had an X5 for 5 years & couldnā€™t fault her, never had any issues & cost peanuts to runā€¦ā€¦butā€¦..I fancied a FFRRā€¦..moans & groans from those who never owned one but had heard the horror storiesā€¦..did I listen?ā€¦..nopeā€¦.went out & bought ā€œwhat I wantedā€ simple as that. Have to admit, I spent more on her in the first year than I did in 5 years with the X5 but sheā€™s sorted now & what a beast she is, love her to bits.
To answer your question, you only have to justify it to yourself, once you agree with yourself then youā€™ve got the green light to go and get oneā€¦ā€¦ā€¦donā€™t forget the rocking chair scenario šŸ˜‚

Click image to enlarge
 2012 Orkney Grey Westminster 4.4TDV8 with Ivory interior.........nice!
BMW R1200GS
Alfa Romeo Giulietta
Just one Montesa now, 349 White Wonder
Austin A40 Farina MK2
1975 Morris Marina 1.8TC

Post #660625 29th Mar 2023 8:34am
Rosco

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Baltic Blue

I went on a business weekend off roading in 1998, drove a defender and never looked back, came home and chopped the jag in for a Disco, FF since 2001 Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Post #660636 29th Mar 2023 12:18pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

dont think theres any justification,

its,
i like that
wouldnt mind having one
got to get one
yay, got one
love driving it

doh, batterys flat Mr. Green ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO ʎź“•āˆ€ź“•Oź“¤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #660637 29th Mar 2023 12:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>