Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L405) > Tailgate anti-trap sensors - testing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Richiesrangey

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue
Tailgate anti-trap sensors - testing

Hi have an issue where the upper tailgate stops closing when the lower tailgate latches which I think is due to one of the lower tailgate anti-trap sensors triggering or the microswitch in the latch not making contact as the tailgate completes closure. Searched and used advice and docs on the site so have checked what I can and tried recalibrating.
Does anybody know how to test individual anti-trap sensors? I suspect one of them is faulting as the lower tailgate closes but not sure if these are just pressure switches or more sophisticated - manual suggest they are hall effect ? Idea is to test them manually and see if they trigger as the tailgate close. Cheers Richard

Post #667594 26th Jun 2023 1:25pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I believe they are torque variant motors. So, something gets trapped and the relevant amount of torque reverses the motors? Buy I could be completely wrong in my assumption…

Craig đź‘Ť

Post #667611 26th Jun 2023 3:22pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I had a similar but different problem - but the process will be the same. That is, buy an ODB code reader & see what fault codes are being generated. That will point you in the right direction. You can also read the real time values from the sensors if required.

The relevant thread is here

Post #667615 26th Jun 2023 4:06pm
M11buc

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Not sure how if all model years have them, but pretty sure the later model years have the anti trap sensors in the sides of the upper tailgate.
Been a while since checked one, but as soon recall it’s on both sides of the upper tailgate built into the seal/ trim running down both side next to the glass. If you squeeze/ squash the seal / trim it should stop tailgate.
You can maybe ( carefully) try this to check it has them. I have seen them fail before, also worth checking. if your tailgate is not aligned centrally it can cause it to trigger the sensor and not close tailgate. Hope it helps.

Post #667672 27th Jun 2023 4:01am
Alistair

Agree - the anti-trap on the lower tailgate should cause that to re-open - or in my case, not even try to close. There may also be a sensor that checks the lower tailgate is fully closed and it sounds like that's the case to me. Then there's anti-trap on the upper tailgate.

A code reader is the only way to really tell what the issue is.

You could maybe try closing the lower tailgate manually and giving it a good push ?

Post #667678 27th Jun 2023 7:59am
JCW

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Sumatra Black

M11buc wrote:
If your tailgate is not aligned centrally it can cause it to trigger the sensor and not close tailgate. Hope it helps.

This was the case on my L405, I swapped all four sensors for new ones but still had an issue, I then decided to re-align the tailgate (and replaced the bolts that secure the upper hinges, there a TSB relating to this) and hey presto, it worked faultlessly. Jonathan

2007 Defender 90 XS Hardtop

Post #667682 27th Jun 2023 8:32am
Richiesrangey

Thanks all for your advice and insights - all really helpful. I tested each anti trap sensor individually by starting the tailgates closing and squeezing the strips. All work fine one needed glueing back in place, nothing fowling them or any damage.

Per M11buc’s note I am tending to think it is a lower tailgate alignment issue and the latch close sensors not in sync as the RHS closes fractionally just after the LHS as the soft close takes up.

Await the return of my icarsoft (it’s just had a busy shift on my nephews Disco4 Laughing ) and shall investigate further. Will let you all know to close the thread and for info to help others. Cheers Richard

Post #667690 27th Jun 2023 12:08pm
Kot

United Kingdom 

Cam-Tech-Craig wrote:
I believe they are torque variant motors. So, something gets trapped and the relevant amount of torque reverses the motors? Buy I could be completely wrong in my assumption…

Craig đź‘Ť

Well a few days ago using the spare wheel removal system Smile
I stupidly forgot to remove the clamp from the upper gutter and closed the tailgate.
Fortunately it stopped on contact and re-opened itself, so it must also have some sort of torque motor sensing! 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #667697 27th Jun 2023 2:30pm
Kot

United Kingdom 

Also in the WS manual section 501-03 there is a 60 page troubleshoot guide for upper and lower tailgate 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #667859 29th Jun 2023 3:17pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Check out this, it maybe the problem, maybe not but it's a free check...!!

https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic66566.html Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #667988 30th Jun 2023 5:00pm
Richiesrangey

To close this one off:
The diagnostic scanner did not find any DTC fault codes and all the sensors and latches checked out ok. I then set about recalibrating the upper and lower tailgates by cycling manually then performing the height calibration in the upper tailgate. Still same problem, upper tailgate stopped closing on auto as soon as the lower tailgate closed and latched. What I did notice though was although I calibrated the tailgate at the limit if it’s upper travel, it would only raise to around 50mm off the upper limit. I then went through the same process to calibrate it all with the Engine running and now works perfectly and both tailgates close via the fob and dashboard button. No DTC fault codes so can only assume it is voltage related. New batteries were fitted last month and BMS was updated. Will see what happens next I guess and if the car drops the calibration again. Thanks for all help above. I also found this article very useful if anybody else is having similar - issues.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2014/SB-10071772-6903.pdf

Post #668141 2nd Jul 2023 3:45pm
Alistair

Good news & hopefully a permanent fix Thumbs Up

Post #668143 2nd Jul 2023 5:10pm
Kot

United Kingdom 

Richiesrangey wrote:
Thanks for all help above. I also found this article very useful if anybody else is having similar - issues.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2014/SB-10071772-6903.pdf

Great research and sharing of your problem- Thumbs Up 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #668189 3rd Jul 2023 8:47am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1