Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Winter set up.. AT vs winter tyre vs all season
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

My Verde's are 5mm after 30k miles but driving style probably accounts for much of that rather than tyre durability. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #671321 16th Aug 2023 8:00pm
Ennoch

MikeyB48 wrote:
Ennoch, have you any experience with the Pirelli scorpion all season SF2 tyres? Your last point re longevity has just made me wonder how many miles I can expect to get out of them.. I’d probably be looking at well over 10k per year and spending near £800 every 10-12 months on tyres is not going to fly with the other half!

Only on an Evoque which is about half the weight of an L322. That said, after 5k miles they still look brand new, and the about the same can be said for the ones on my mate's L322 that I'm about to buy. They've gone further and are a little more worn but not horrendously so. I can't imagine me ever getting more than 20k out of a set of tyres unless they start with an inch of tread though, no matter what they are! JayGee's experience is probably more relevant than mine, given I'm getting about 8k out of a set of rear tyres on an AWD BMW estate... All Season tyres are certainly made of harder rubber than UHP tyres because they're not aimed at ultimate performance, and neither are they made from the super soft silica heavy winter compounds, so 30-40k miles seems pretty reasonable you're not honing it. That's based on previous 4x4's and comparing my ability to kill tyres to the average human's. They certainly won't last as long as an all terrain all things being equal as the AT starts with at least 50% more tread, but you're not going to wear them out in 10k.

Post #671331 16th Aug 2023 9:08pm
Byg Nyge

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Galway Green

Gotta say in 50 years of driving I have never changed tyres for winter, and I've driven in some pretty horrendous weather in those years. Never had a problem. Maybe I was just lucky?

Post #671398 17th Aug 2023 5:07pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Depends how you define 'problem' - every winter I get stuck behind people crawling along not having a problem - they cause me one though.

Tyres are always an emotive subject. Some people are fine with 4 odd chinese cheapos, because a tyre is just a tyre. Others will run them all the way to the 1.6mm MOT limit (or lower) - and not have a problem Whistle

Post #671403 17th Aug 2023 5:38pm
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

Just like most people won't ever have a 'problem' if they never wear a seatbelt or deactivate their airbags. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #671405 17th Aug 2023 5:42pm
Byg Nyge

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Galway Green

I always used quality tyres tho', no remoulds, no part-worn. Changed @ 4mm tread depth.

Post #671408 17th Aug 2023 6:01pm
Sandyt

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

I run winters Goodyear ultra grip from November to April and Michel pilot sport summers although I am trying Pirellis this summer just to see how they go so far 3k miles and ok but not as grippy in dry or wet as Michelins so will probably put them on the back up

Post #671413 17th Aug 2023 7:09pm
Sandyt

I run winters Goodyear ultra grip from November to April and Michel pilot sport summers although I am trying Pirellis this summer just to see how they go so far 3k miles and ok but not as grippy in dry or wet as Michelins so will probably put them on the back up which only does local stuff

Post #671414 17th Aug 2023 7:18pm
Sandyt

My wife always says I keep repeating myself Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #671415 17th Aug 2023 7:19pm
Ennoch

Alistair wrote:
Depends how you define 'problem' - every winter I get stuck behind people crawling along not having a problem - they cause me one though.

Tyres are always an emotive subject. Some people are fine with 4 odd chinese cheapos, because a tyre is just a tyre. Others will run them all the way to the 1.6mm MOT limit (or lower) - and not have a problem Whistle

Absolutely. With winters on I can drive quite happily at 40-50 on deep snow covered A-roads and do an emergency stop without the ABS cutting in if I need to. I've also driven over the Bealach na Ba in snow covered ice with no dramas while others struggle to get moving on flat ground nearby.

There's also the argument that just because someone didn't get stuck 50 years ago doesn't mean they wouldn't get stuck now given the rather dramatic changes in what constitutes a 'normal' tyre on a car. Plain and simply if you have more than a dusting of snow on the road and modern summer tyres (fresh from the packet or worn), you just aren't going to be going anywhere fast, and I've got more than enough miles to cover in winter that I want to be covering it at as close to normal speed as is reasonable rather than driving white knuckled at 10mph. Winters turn arduous conditions into fun conditions that allow you to simply drive around everyone else like they're stood still. I've had that many, many times up here in the Highlands, and no doubt I'll have many, many more times where I'll do the same in the future too. It's funny that many a time I've driven from the croft down to Torridon with up to 6" snow on the road at 4/5am to go climbing and arrived faster than I can manage in summer with the average speed and ability of the tourist traffic on the road. I'm sure those guys all think they're great drivers too...as I'm sure did the dozen plus drivers I've pulled out of ditches in the snow over the last five or so years. By no means am I saying that everyone should fit winters, but the 'oh, I've never been stuck so that means nobody will get stuck' is a nonsense and got old a long time ago.

Post #671427 17th Aug 2023 8:56pm
Sandyt

Also worth noting its not so much the getting moving on ice its the stopping that makes winter tyres a must plus why not give yourself the best chance possible of arriving safe and well

Post #671430 17th Aug 2023 9:20pm
MikeyB48

United Kingdom 

Yeah full winter tyres are a revelation. I was in the high north of Norway for an extended period over the winter just gone and was astounded at how effective full winter tyres are.

I’ve decided to go for 4 Pirelli scorpion all season SF2’s, getting fitted this afternoon. I will get a spare set of wheels with an aggressive AT at some point in the future for off tarmac work.

Thanks again for everyone’s feedback.

Post #671444 18th Aug 2023 7:53am
NDT

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

Lot of good points on this thread.
What would you do in my situation?
I use my L322 for a 90mile commute and some long family trips. I always thought I’d do a bit of light off-roading but so far haven’t.
I’ve got two sets of 20” wheels. One set has knackered tyres and the other set are pretty worn.
I know the benefits of winter tyres - I’ve always had them on the family car in the past.

I’m split between getting a dedicated summer and winter set of tyres, or running AS tyres on one set and ATs on the other.

How much of a compromise are AS tyres? How much worse than a summer tyres in summer and how much worse than a winter tyre in winter?

Post #678672 25th Nov 2023 9:04am
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I guess it depends on what you define as light off roading..... Laughing

Tyres are all about compromise and priorities - and that's a personal thing.

I live in a ski resort, so for me, full winters are a no brainer. However in the south of England, All seasons are probably a better bet. I read an article somewhere written by Jon who runs Tyre Reviews that said pretty much the same thing.

There really isn't a right answer......

Are you really going to swap your wheels over for a day out off roading & then swap them back again ? It's enough of a faff doing it twice a year between summers & winters - and that's with a trolley jack & battery torque wrench.

Post #678679 25th Nov 2023 10:45am
Gremlin500

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

Quote:
“ Are you really going to swap your wheels over for a day out off roading & then swap them back again ? It's enough of a faff doing it twice a year between summers & winters - and that's with a trolley jack & battery torque wrench.”

A very good point! Thumbs Up

I for one couldn’t be *rsed Laughing The standard Pirelli Scorpion Verde AS are great allround, and ultra-quiet too, but then again, I don’t do any off-roading, or live on a farm in the Scottish Highlands, so it’s horses for courses, there’s no right answer. Whatever tyres you use, driving according to the conditions is the best advice, even the best Winter tyres will not give you anywhere near dry-road levels of grip on ice & snow. Shocked “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #678683 25th Nov 2023 11:43am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>