Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Winter set up.. AT vs winter tyre vs all season
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
pcourtney

England 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Sumatra Black

I have two sets of 20" inch alloys as well, I have Pirelli Zero's 255/55/20 with PCNS, they are very good for most of the year and some very expensive winter tyres from Nokian

https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-gb/car/tech-and-knowledge/pncs

However, I do visit Scotland in the winter and drive to Mittersil in Austria for ski-ing, where the Zero's perform well enough for 75% of the time in ice and snow and this is taking it easy and where temps are safely above 5° centigrade.

BUT when we have a bad winter, or the weather forecast in Austria is minus ° at night, then on go the Nokian winter wheels with Snow Flake symbol ( mandatory for Europe) , they don't get a lot of use but they have saved me on many an occasion, and not too noisy on the motorway coming back home !

I think they cost me over £800 quid back in 2018, I bought them after I read the Auto Bild review below
Nokian WR SUV 4 255/55 R20 110V XL

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2018-A...e-Test.htm

Last edited by pcourtney on 15th Dec 2023 12:17pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #678694 25th Nov 2023 2:26pm
NDT

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

Personally I don’t mind swapping the wheels over.
I’ve got a ramp anyway.

Post #678718 25th Nov 2023 7:32pm
AnnualMan

Switzerland 

Despite living in Switzerland, I’m on the fence with this one. Everyone has a summer and a winter set of wheels here but I find myself tiring of the hassle and not inconsiderable expense of swapping. Since we live in flats you typically have to pay for storage on top of the change so you’re over 500 notes a year easily all in all.

Given that I’ve never taken to skiing so don’t find myself up mountains, and the fact that they’re absolutely religious about gritting the roads here, I’ve been considering a set of all seasons with the 3 peak symbol. The issue is finding decent ones to fit my 22’s. Michelin Cross Climates seems to rank highest but forget that in anything bigger than 20’s. 2018 P400e AB LWB

Post #678734 25th Nov 2023 10:03pm
MikeyB48

United Kingdom 

For what it’s worth; have put about 5k miles on the new Pirelli SF2 all season tyres that I decided to go with. They’re amazing. Recently during heavy snow in Cumbria, they performed superbly even when towing folks out of the hedge..! Quiet on the motorway, great in the rain as well.. will definitely be replacing them like for like in the future.

Post #680242 13th Dec 2023 6:55pm
peters

Netherlands 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I normally have Pirelli zero all season pncs 255/50 20 a quiet and perfect tyre except no snowflake symbol. Recently switched to Vredestein quatrac pro+ 255/50 20. I don't notice any difference with the Pirelli's I drove before, also very quiet and with the snowflake symbol.

Post #680369 15th Dec 2023 10:08am
Ajmngn

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

+1 for the Vredestein Quatrac Pro, but mine are 255/55/20 for a little extra comfort. Were replacements for Pirelli Scorpion Verdes. I will be replacing mine with more Vredesteins when needed as 3PMSF symbol, unless Pirelli SF2 come down in price by then.

I am lucky to have 2 sets of wheels so run an aggressive AT in the summer for most driving. However, my AT tyres are awful when temperatures drop and things get slippery/icy so only proper winter approved tyres will do for me, including winter ski trips.

If I was to only have one set and needed 3PMSF, I would say only decent options are Vredestein and Pirelli SF2. Good luck whatever you choose! 👍 Andy

2010 4.4TDV8 Vogue SE in Santorini Black with Ivory interior
2017 Audi SQ5 3.0 V6T Quattro in Volcano Red
2001 Audi Allroad 2.5 TDI manual with low-range in Highland Green. Currently SORN whilst undergoing some serious restoration!

Post #681489 30th Dec 2023 3:16pm
Dutchgit

Germany 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I had the Vredestein Quadtracs on mine but didn't think much about them (in all fairness, they were pretty worn down). I since moved to the Pirelli Scorpion SF2 and there's a notable difference.
Nice and quiet, very good straight ahead stability on wet and dry roads and I'm about to do some testing on snow in the Swiss Alps next week.

Post #681494 30th Dec 2023 5:08pm
Dutchgit

Click image to enlarge

Test fitted the snow chains today. First go was with the instructions and it's easy.

I think I'd be able to fit them in under 5 minutes once I've done it the second time.

Post #681581 31st Dec 2023 4:47pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Is there enough clearance around the back for the wheels to rotate ?

I could only ever get regular chains on the rear.

I now have two pairs of Thule K-Summits, but I've never had to use them as my winter tyres seem to cope with everything I've encountered so far. Reassuring to have them in the boot all winter just in case though Thumbs Up

Post #681586 31st Dec 2023 5:48pm
Dutchgit

Yes clearance seems fine. I only fitted them on the front as it's 4wd and the front is where the steering's at !
Could have borrowed 2 sets but I probably won't need the 1 set.

Post #681588 31st Dec 2023 6:25pm
Dutchgit

Dutchgit wrote:
I had the Vredestein Quadtracs on mine but didn't think much about them (in all fairness, they were pretty worn down). I since moved to the Pirelli Scorpion SF2 and there's a notable difference.
Nice and quiet, very good straight ahead stability on wet and dry roads and I'm about to do some testing on snow in the Swiss Alps next week.

No testing on snow (as I've encountered no roads with snow on them!) with the new Pirelli Scorpion SF2's but they are a very nice ride!
Very quiet they are indeed.
The Fatty uses less fuel with them too. Went from 9.4 km/L to 9.9 km/L and checking the amount of fuel against the Kms it even did slightly better. This may have also been down to the lightly sticky front callipers I had before the new discs and pads.

Had plenty of rain on the way back and they performed admirably.

Post #682918 16th Jan 2024 7:44pm
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

They are quite expensive though. Near £300 a corner here in the UK. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #682926 16th Jan 2024 9:06pm
TomC-RRV8

United Kingdom 

I have got Pirellie Scorpion all season on but due to going to the Alps have invested in a second set of rims and have purchased some Cooper Discover AT3 4S in the same size as the Pirellied, however, unlike the pirellies these have the 3 peaks and snow flake. Will update on how they perform in the cold snowy conditions when I return..... Current
2011 4.4TDV8 VSE
1972 MGBGT
Gone
2004 Discovery Landmark 2.5D
2003 Freelander TD4 SE

Post #682929 16th Jan 2024 9:27pm
AndyRoo

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Fuji White

If your not getting stuck, your just not trying hard enough Rolling with laughter

Andy Fuji White 2012 4.4 TDV8 Westmiinster

Post #682930 16th Jan 2024 9:40pm
strongstuff

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

Westminster wrote:
Great car you've got yourself, I had the same vehicle and fitted Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs which I've also had on my L405 for 3 years and they save the need for different summer/winter sets of wheels.

They are a brilliant all round tyre, good dry and wet grip, never aquaplane due to deep big tread, great in ice and snow, more aggressive tread than AT so better in muddy fields where an AT will quickly fill with mud and become useless and although they do make a little more noise at motorway speeds I've done 1000s of miles on the motorway with no problems whatsoever.

The only downside is the speed rating is 99mph but I didn't want to exceed that anyway as you risk your licence!

I'd consider them and your real need for 2 sets of wheels.

They also make the vehicle look more purposeful than normal road tyres.

Click image to enlarge

Had a set fitted to my 4.2 SC yesterday, was a bit concerned they'd be noisy, but am happy to report they are not.

Click image to enlarge
 2008 L322 4.2 V8 SC Stornoway Grey
2006 L322 4.2 V8 SC Java Black

Post #682937 16th Jan 2024 10:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>