Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > TD6 Ecotuning gearbox
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
barracuda816

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue SE Td6 Tonga Green

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I havent yet had the chance to strip one of these myself, and have limited experiance of autos. So would love the advice of our resident transmission expert. So i am just going on the info from some of the bmw boys. The calibration screw is what they say will increase the line pressure, and i cant see why it wouldn't.

kind regards, Luke

Post #152959 23rd Nov 2012 4:24pm
spanner

Hi Chaps
my new ECU arrived on Saturday morning it took all of 10mins to swap then took it for a test drive and what a difference you can swap between normal and ecotune by toggeling the gear lever you get sport mode enabled on the dash display when in ecotune and the difference is well worth the 130 euros the car pulls better sounds better but most of all moves quicker you without doubt lose the slipping clutch or elastic band type acceleration its not sports car fast but its modern auto diesel fast well worth it

Regards Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Post #153309 25th Nov 2012 9:40am
barracuda816

Spanner

Sounds good. That was quick delivery.

I would be very great-full if you could tell us what the fuel consumption is like once you get a chance.

Has your engine been chipped or is it standard?

Regards, luke

Post #153315 25th Nov 2012 10:07am
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

That sounds excellent.

So you have 3 modes now ? Sport / Normal (as before) and Eco Tune (with its sport and normal)?

Or do you lose the old Sport and get Eco Tune instead ?

Or do you go to sport and then back quickly to enable eco tune, and the same to disable it, with sport and "normal" avalable with Eco Tune, if you seee what I mean ?

Apologies if I'm being a dunderhead !!

Cheers
Mark 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #153317 25th Nov 2012 10:11am
spanner

Hi im unsure on that one as I only tested in normal gear position not sport but will report more over the next few days

Post #153318 25th Nov 2012 10:13am
ahebron

New Zealand 

Hi Spanner thats great to hear.
A few questions though.
1) Has the quality of the gearchange been affected, does it thump into gear or is it still smooth?
2) What type of driving have you done with the mod, motorway, b-road, residential, hilly etc?
3) You state the sport mode is enabled on the dash so do you think its switching sport mode on and off but staying in normal when needed or is that the way it tells you its operating?
4) How do you do the ecu swap?
5) Towing?

Sorry to barrage you like this but at present you are the man.

Thanks
Adrian

Sorry but during the time it has taken me to write this others have asked similar questions. VW Amarok 2014 Highline auto

Post #153320 25th Nov 2012 10:16am
spanner

Hi

1 silky smooth but changes alot quicker on road conditions eg hills

2 motorway and residential

3 I think the sport idication on the dash ios to say you are in eco mode because if you toggle the gear lever the sport indication dissapears and you are back to normal gearbox mode

4 ecu is next to engine ecu in box on left under bonnet easy swap 10mins

5 i dont tow

Post #153321 25th Nov 2012 10:24am
madcima

Italy 2006 Range Rover HSE Td6 Zambezi Silver

I ordered this unit, too, I'm curious how it works .... hopefully good
Shocked

Post #153867 27th Nov 2012 4:52pm
33CHINACARS

Australia 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Will be very interested to see how this all works & its long term effects on the 5L40E

Sounds promising so far

Gary

Post #154250 29th Nov 2012 1:50am
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

barracuda816 wrote:
....The calibration screw is what they say will increase the line pressure, and i cant see why it wouldn't....

Luke,

I would imagine that the screw is there to enable each solenoid valve off the production line to be individually adjusted to produce a consistent current vs. pressure characteristic within whatever tolerance band is set.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I can’t see that adjusting this screw would affect the maximum line pressure. Increasing current on the solenoid reduces the throttle signal pressure which reduces the hydraulic force on the boost valve, and therefore the preload on the spring acting on the pressure regulator valve. This reduces line pressure. Pull the wires off the solenoid and you’ll get maximum line pressure (which provides limp-home in the event of an electrical fault). As you can’t adjust the solenoid valve to do less than nothing, I can’t see how the maximum line pressure would be altered by adjusting the screw.

Click image to enlarge

I can see that adjusting the calibration screw will alter the throttle signal pressure (and therefore line pressure) for a given current once away from maximum pressure, but I suspect that the transmission ECU’s adaptive learning will then eventually adjust the supplied solenoid current to get back the shift times that it’s programmed to maintain, effectively cancelling out the adjustment.

Phil

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #154660 1st Dec 2012 1:59am
Sea Aitch

England 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver

Did the ECU swap yesterday, and so far I'm really impressed. Changes are smooth and precise, and it feels really good to have lost the variable revs without a significant change in speed when doing more than 35mph. The display on the dash seems to alternate between "D" and "S" without any direct input from me, but I haven't (as yet) worked out exactly why and when this happens.
Too early to comment on MPG, but on driveability so far, I'm very impressed.
I'll return my ECU tomorrow to get my 150 Euro deposit back.

Colin

Post #154895 2nd Dec 2012 4:03pm
spanner

Hi the sport mode is when the tc is in lock up i gather you can ajust this with a dill switch in the ecu i think its 52k 55k 58k i found that i need it to be set at 55k because i noticed judder at slow speeds

Post #154899 2nd Dec 2012 4:25pm
barracuda816

RRPhil,

Thank you very much for that incredible explanation. I obviously didnt understand the function of the valve, i understand that much more clearly now.

Hypothetically if after tuning the engine the gearbox was experiencing clutch slip when changing gear, you could increase the line pressure to fix this. But the only way to do this would be to modify the oil pump? would this throw up any problems in the tcm?

Spanner and Sea Aitch,

Have you noticed any difference in MPG? And have either of you had a chip or remap mod?

Would you say the engine/gearbox seems more relaxed when accelerating?

Regards, Luke

Post #155177 3rd Dec 2012 11:02pm
Sea Aitch

England 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver

Luke

I'm using a Speedhawk tuning box, K&N filter and an Allisport EGR valve bypass. This set up seems to give a smoother tickover and a bit more lively acceleration, in addition to a marginal improvement in economy. I did have a decat pipe fitted, which improved the sound of the exhaust, but the downside was that it smelled like a 1970's ice cream van when ticking over, so I put it back to standard again.
I'll report back on MPG when I've put some miles on it, but both the engine and the gearbox do seem more relaxed when accelerating. If I had to describe it I would say that the car pulls better without all the (apparently) unnecessary revving. I assume the technology of this modification is sound, but purely from a driver's perspective, I think it's an improvement.

Colin

Post #155187 3rd Dec 2012 11:42pm
madcima

Italy 2006 Range Rover HSE Td6 Zambezi Silver

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #155985 7th Dec 2012 4:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 6 <123456>