Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > Guidance required on a bluetooth retro fit.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
hamlet

Ireland 2006 Range Rover HSE Td6 Buckingham Blue
Guidance required on a bluetooth retro fit.

Evening all, I picked up a 2006 TDV6 HSE FFRR last week and am hoping to spec it up a bit, in particular the phone section and then perhaps sat nav if possible later on.

I've read about a million threads on the subject and many thanks to all who ave gone before me, it's previously had a nokia phone fitted to it, cradle in the arm rest, microphone, and module in the rear left with the 54 pin plug into it so my first question is, I've read about repinning the plug to fit the new ULR but, is this just applicable when fitting a BMW part, as in, if I can source a unit from another FFRR can I plug it in directly without the need to change the pins?

I haven't really looked at sourcing a unit yet, I'm aware the newer generation the better although having said that, I'm not really that fussed about the voice control or other features, I pretty much just want to be able to make and receive calls with decent sound quality on both ends so I'll take what I can when it comes time to getting a unit but it would obviously be easier if I could source a Land Rover unit if it was more of a plug and play operation.

I'd describe my technical ability as "capable" and I'm not afraid to give anything a go (as long as it will still start and move afterwards Laughing )

I'm a former aircraft engineer by trade, and a previous Nissan Navara owner so I'm use to the spanners, having to retrofit pretty much everything to the Navara...... Laughing

Any help and guidance very much appreciated on either the phone issue or the yet to be considered sat nav.

I'm in Southern Ireland and the RR has original touch screen unit fitted if either pieces of information makes any difference.

Many thanks.

Post #414674 21st Nov 2016 5:34pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

I think you have the touch screen system, so it's not BMW based, so forget all the threads for the early non touchscreen... the ULF and repin plug is NOT for your car, please don't order a unit....

Think yours is based on the MOST system.....? I don't know anything about that.

I'm sure those who know will post shortly....

Thumbs Up 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #414708 21st Nov 2016 9:08pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Agree - if you have a touch screen, then you probably already have bluetooth - the cradle was more for charging than anything else.

Is there anything to do with a phone on the screen menu ?

BTW - its TD6 - the TDV6 is a much later model Wink

Post #414718 21st Nov 2016 10:11pm
hamlet

mjdronfield wrote:
I think you have the touch screen system, so it's not BMW based, so forget all the threads for the early non touchscreen... the ULF and repin plug is NOT for your car, please don't order a unit....

Think yours is based on the MOST system.....? I don't know anything about that.

I'm sure those who know will post shortly....

Thumbs Up

Forget them? They're burned in my brain........ Laughing

Thanks for the info., very much appreciated, kind of back to square one.

Post #414729 21st Nov 2016 10:47pm
hamlet

Alistair wrote:
Agree - if you have a touch screen, then you probably already have bluetooth - the cradle was more for charging than anything else.

Is there anything to do with a phone on the screen menu ?

BTW - its TD6 - the TDV6 is a much later model Wink

And thanks for the help, I'll post a few pics in a minute.

And thanks for the heads up on the V, I guess I'm living in hope...... Embarassed

Post #414731 21st Nov 2016 10:50pm
hamlet

Here's what's down the back, with "Nokia" on it.

And on the screen.

Post #414733 21st Nov 2016 10:54pm
Alistair

Phone not fitted is a slightly ambiguous message - it either means a faulty voice activation module - or it might be as simple as you haven't paired a phone....

Try doing a bluetooth pair from your phone - if it finds the car, then the code is 2121 Thumbs Up

Post #414735 21st Nov 2016 11:00pm
Alistair

IIRC - the car is only 'discoverable' for a short period after switching on - so ideally you want to start searching from your phone immediately before switching the car on.

Pairing will be on the bluetooth menu of your phone somewhere.

Post #414742 21st Nov 2016 11:25pm
hamlet

Oh sweet baby Jesus...........

Never in the sad history of my life has a problem been so easy to solve and instead of promptly contacting a Mod to instantly delete this thread and save me much embarrassment I'd like it to stand as my first thread and question and a testament not only to my stupidity but also to everyone never to listen to someone who thinks they know what they're talking about but only listen to those who actually do............ Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

So, short version, I picked up my FFRR last Thursday from a dealer, asked him had it bluetooth so I could connect my iphone to which he replied "no", I did think it strange but took him at his word and away I went after I'd done the deal.

Believing it not to have bluetooth fitted, I was working every day since and spent some time in work looking about how I could overcome this issue which came me to start this thread today, but never actually going about pairing a device.

After some advice from mjdronfield and Alistar I posted a few pics of what I had and stared to search the forum again, which lead me to this thread.

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic39333....=bluetooth

After a quick read I hopped up, grabbed my keys and out I went, bluetooth already switched on from another vehicle, started it up, into bluetooth on my phone to check "my devices" and there it was, the beautiful works "LAND ROVER".....

A good blend of joy and stupidity washed over me, back in to my laptop only to find Alistar's last 2 posts.............

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing .......... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Moral of the story, never believe what someone who obviously doesn't know what they're talking about tells you, although in this case I though he really should have known, it's a good selling point, and only listed to those who do actually know what they're talking about, but above all, don't try to fix a problem that you don't actually have, and if you do have a problem, check the simplest things first.........

In my stupidity, the small amount of looking I did at the vehicle, when I saw the Nokia cradle and the unit down the back I just assumed it was only applicable to a Nokia and that it was hardwired in, not actually bluetooth.

So anyway, thanks to all who helped, on this and previous threads..... Thumbs Up

Any chance all I have to do to get Sat Nav is pop a disc in my CD player???............ Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #414746 22nd Nov 2016 12:07am
dolph34

Ireland 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

Did you try pressing the navigation button?????? Very Happy
 2015 4.4 AB
GSXR 1000 K5
R1 1998

Post #414752 22nd Nov 2016 1:57am
hamlet

I didn't get around to that yet, I'm still trying to get the engine started, should I put in the key and try turning it?... Laughing Laughing Laughing

If that doesn't work could you call over and help me?..... Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post #414755 22nd Nov 2016 2:03am
dolph34

Ireland 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

No problem Very Happy when I got mine the dealer didn't know if it had Bluetooth or not !!!!!! Only for his partner knowing the 2121 code I would have posted the same question as you !!!! 2015 4.4 AB
GSXR 1000 K5
R1 1998

Post #414756 22nd Nov 2016 2:40am
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Got there in the end - that's all that matters....

Thumbs Up 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #414761 22nd Nov 2016 7:19am
Alistair

Thumbs Up

It's not a great message on the display - if it said "No Phone Paired" or something like that, then you'd be in with a fighting chance.....

Post #414767 22nd Nov 2016 9:28am
hamlet

Thanks again for the help and comments, phone seems to be working fine, not displaying the phone book as expected but not worried about that, and needs to be paired every time I get in but it's better than nothing.

Thanks again.

Post #414819 22nd Nov 2016 6:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>