Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Heated Seat Problem - 2007 TDV8 Vogue SE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
redferrari

Heated Seat Problem - 2007 TDV8 Vogue SE

Just wondered if anyone has encountered the same problem or even better found a fix!

The vehicle has heated and cooled seats and kind of blows air through holes in the seat cover. The passenger side works fine, all the lights come on and it it heats and cools properly and you can hear the 'fan' operating constantly when in the cool position and just hear initially when its first put in to the heat setting, it heats it fine.

The drivers side, again when you turn the knob to cool the 3 blue lights light up and when you turn to heat the 3 red lights light up and also inside the button the top and bottom lights on the seat picture light up. However the seat does not cool nor heat and there is no fan noise either initially when set to heat or constantly when set to cool like on the passenger side.

I have been in to my local dealer and they have a £115 + VAT an hour diagnostic charge, they have had one in with similar a similar problem and it was actually a module in the centre console that had failed and it was nothing to do with anything in the seat on that occasion. The dealer has explained how complicated the seats are on this particular type of vehicle with numerous relays/modules/wiring looms that could possibly fail resulting in the current problem.

Because there is no fan noise does this mean that that 'bit' just needs replacing or could it be something else? I use a very good independent and if I could tell him what it was then he can replace it at a much more reasonable price, however he does not have access to Land Rover computers and diagnostic machines so is unable to pin point the problem thus would be a labourious process probably without success. In fact I am not sure if the Land Rover diagnostic machine could pinpoint the problem anyhow.

Any ideas?

Post #108598 22nd Feb 2012 2:00pm
Bellini

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

I'm no expert at all on such matters.

But it seems you have a dilemma. Go your trusted indy route and take a chance or swallow hard, purse your lips and go main dealer, but get it right first time.

I would venture that the seat isn't faulty and tend to agree on some form of control mudule being the culprit. As you indicate, nothing on the seat works, yet the controls do their bit. Something in the middle, perhaps? It lends weight to the module diagnosis.

I would have thought that if the seat were faulty, you'd not lose functionality on both heating and cooling at the same time. Again, this lends weight to the control module (or something around there) not doing its bit.

If it were the switch, the lights wouldn't light.

The main dealer can at least check all systems with their diagnostic tools and give you further peace of mind. Your indy chap cannot.

Me? I'd want peace of mind and the job done right first time. Sometimes it's cheaper that way if you have a good dealer and have faith in what they say.

Good luck. Thumbs Up Si. <This is my name.

I eat rat poison.

A man ain't truly been insulted until he stands buck naked in front of a woman and she didn't even notice. Or care.

Post #108623 22nd Feb 2012 3:48pm
T24RES

United Kingdom 

I'd be tempted to check the basics first. Have the connectors under the seat worked loose or been damaged due to the cables being pulled in and out by one short and one tall driver. If you see my meaning?

Post #108624 22nd Feb 2012 3:52pm
sleepezy

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

I had a similar problem on mine (also a tdv8 vogue se). In the end it was with the dealer, Marshalls of Cambridge, for about a week all told being diagnosed and the repaired (under warranty, phew). They gave a similar story about part of the control circuit not working properly but I am not certain which but it was, sorry.

Post #108639 22nd Feb 2012 4:47pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Mine also stopped working once only on the drivers side. The next day, they worked. Go figure. Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #108641 22nd Feb 2012 5:10pm
just0007

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

I have had issues with both seats, the passenger seat the fans actually needed replacing, £600. The drivers side was the control module £200 both were fixed by main delalers.

Post #108674 22nd Feb 2012 9:57pm
CMJ

2015 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Santorini Black

I would say its a main dealer issue but keep them on a tight leash. I had a similar problem. Pass side fine. Drivers side all lights on but no heat. However worked fine for my wife. We checked everything obvious then main dealer decided to fit new fan £600 and still didnt work. Turned out to be one of the pipes in the back of the chair that sends the air around had come loose causing the air to blow over the fan unit. The fan unit was then getting too hot and shutting down. When my wife was in the car she was not heavy enough to dislodge the pipe - Simples !

We called it quits on the diagnostic time vs new fan that was not needed but without the dealer I think we could have been looking for this issue for a very long time. There are just so many things it could be.

Post #108803 23rd Feb 2012 2:49pm
redferrari

Thanks everyone for their replies. I spoke to indy and he is currently investigating another one which has exactly the same issue. Maybe there will be a few more eventually also knowing Land Rover. He is going to report back to me with his findings, so just having new pads and discs all round, numberplate light, horn, door seal and a battery check!! Thank god its not dealer prices!! Will reply again if/when I find out what it is.

Post #108868 23rd Feb 2012 8:02pm
Wayne Grover

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Cairns Blue

Did you find the problem?
I have exactly the same issue
Don't fancy paying 600 quid for a plastic fan. Big Cry

Post #144745 4th Oct 2012 9:33pm
TheAllSeeingPie

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged Supercharged Java Black

I've been getting the following code thrown if i turn my seats up to full heat on the drivers side: http://www.micro-tronik.com/faultcodes/obdiifaultcode_b1156.html

Solution so far seems to be to only turn them on half-way. I really don't fancy forking out £200 for a control module so if anyone knows if these are repairable I'd be quite pleased to know how! Smile 
07 Supercharged - Still breaking her in!

Boot soundproofing part 1 - http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic15612.html
Custom exhaust - http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic15296.html
18" wheels for Brembo equipped cars - http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic15052.html

Post #145593 9th Oct 2012 4:02pm
Ajay(UK)

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Indus Silver

Resurrecting this thread as I am on my 3rd control module Evil or Very Mad My drivers heated seat function stopped working at least 18 months ago and I managed to locate a 2nd hand replacement last year which unfortunately didn't solve the problem Embarassed So rather than forking out such a stupid amount for a new one from the dealer and thinking that my 2nd hand one must be suffering the same fault I have been patiently waiting to "source" a new one.

Last week I found a brand new one sealed in a box at a sensible price which I have installed this morning but sadly with the same result Big Cry So clearly there is another issue.

If anyone can shed any light on what else to try I would welcome your comments, I am going to try and connect one of the "removed" modules "out of the seat" to see if for some reason the heated air is not circulating correctly so maybe I have a blocked pipe. Does anyone know if the fan in the seat back only blows the heated air generated from the module beneath the seat or does it heat its own? The workshop manual isn't clear Rolling Eyes

Cheers,
Andy. 2015 L405 SDV8 Autobiography, Indus Silver with Black Pack.
SWMBO: 22MY Defender 110 HSE X Dynamic, Gondwana Stone.
Gone: 2014 Discovery 4 HSE Luxury Firenze Red
Gone: 2006MY Java Black TD6 Autobiography
Gone: 2013 Jaguar XKR Convertible, Italian Racing Red with Ivory Seats
Gone: 2010MY Stornoway Grey TDV8 Vogue SE with RSE
Gone: 2008 Disco 3 HSE, Hybrid Tv + Retro-fit RSE System & DVD
Gone: 2003 Epsom Green 4.4i Vogue, LPG, Mk4 Nav, BMW Bluetooth Phone, Hybrid Tv Tuner,

Post #286846 16th Oct 2014 2:38pm
Wayne Grover

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Cairns Blue

I ended getting my heated /cooled seat fixed at Team Valley Land Rover service centre in Gateshead.

Fan in back rest needed replacing - £600 - Big Cry

New fan failed within a week and replaced with a second new fan.

Now works Razz

Post #302722 4th Jan 2015 8:56pm
Sandyt

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

I had mine done at the dealer again it was circa 500 quid from memory but they did replace the fans and then the control modules all in the price as the seat didn't work after they changed first part so they never charged for it and have to say I had a loan car for the duration quite a big bill but brilliant service - probably doesn't help much but as others have said they are complicated so what I did was pay for diagnostics then got a quote for it fixed which they didi and stuck to Thumbs Up

Post #302734 4th Jan 2015 9:27pm
axle

Australia 2008 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Rimini Red

It's worth seeing if the pipe between the fan and the Peltier cell has split mine had on my back rest and if the fan runs and no air gets to the cell the unit will shut down but leave the lights on , I have bodged with gaffer tape until I can source a new pipe. The split is right where it goes behind the metal cross bar .

2008 MY Supercharged
Rimini Red / Jet
four zone climate
remote park heater
and no ugly kid windows.
magnus satis quod turpis satis

Post #302808 5th Jan 2015 2:41am
dolph34

Ireland 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

Hi all. Drivers seat. It heating and have the following codes
B1156-7A (2Cool. Drivers seat cushion

B1154-98 (2Cool. Drivers seat backrest