Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > 7 months in, 10k miles - Service Required
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Arenaitch

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey
7 months in, 10k miles - Service Required

Hi all, just after some opinions here - my mid-Sep 2012 Westminster has just turned 10k miles and 2 items of note have just occurred.

Firstly, since Monday, it has started saying I need a service - to me this sounds a tad too early, both time and mileage wise. 90% of my driving is NSL A-roads and dual carriagways - considering this, should I expect or be unsurprised by needing as service this early?

Secondly, also on Monday, my DAB reception started breaking up badly, so swapped to FM, just as bad - mmm, sunspots I wondered? But then it just went off - no display, no audio but the LED on the on/off switch is doing it's steady flash. Not been able to get it on since, although the park heater still comes on so maybe just a display/access issue.

I've got it booked into the dealer tomorrow so it will get sorted, just wondering if this may be symptomatic of a deeper s/w type issue - or just coincidence? 2012 FFRR Westminster Orkney / Ivory and absolutely no pimp-glass!

Post #183351 17th Apr 2013 12:41pm
TheAllSeeingPie

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged Supercharged Java Black

Sounds like electrical gremlins are kicking in unfortunately. However if you got the car from new then don't they have a shorter first service and then after that it's service indicator based (usually around 15,000 miles or a year)? 
07 Supercharged - Still breaking her in!

Boot soundproofing part 1 - http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic15612.html
Custom exhaust - http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic15296.html
18" wheels for Brembo equipped cars - http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic15052.html

Post #183361 17th Apr 2013 2:53pm
Contraband

Scotland 

My service light came on just before I sold the car, it had gone 11 months and 2950 miles since its last service. I said to the dealer I thought it was a mixture of time and distance, but he said its either. I said surely the fancy Castrol oil they charged me for the last time would last more than 3000 miles, they said yes, but the year was up and it needs serviced again.
I felt ripped off. It is just a timer running so they can make sure you go back yearly. Previously..
Vogue SE TD6
Defender 90 2.4
Defender 110 TD5
Vogue 3.5 EFI

Post #183365 17th Apr 2013 3:13pm
Arenaitch

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

It would seem that, as Contraband has said, this is purely a function of time - my car was shipped in March, sold to me in Sept and the service counter wasn't reset for my collection. One 'fix' is to reset it now, but I am informed by the dealer, it will next pop-up again in 12 months, since any sensors present do not combine to suggest a service is needed, so it's be up to me to bring it in on time.

For a £70k plus vehicle, this seems more than a tad archaic to me.

On top of that, my failed radio/nav/system unit is apparently a failure in the MOST ring that will likely take a couple of days to fix but no courtesy car is available for another two weeks.

And now of course, since the battery got disconnected, the clock is wrong and can't be adjusted, so I no longer have either radio or clock to help me time my journey to the 2nd stage of my daily commute - frustrating and not helping build a desire to stay with RR at the end of term! 2012 FFRR Westminster Orkney / Ivory and absolutely no pimp-glass!

Post #183509 18th Apr 2013 10:07am
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

There is indeed a setting in the SII menu that has a timer (365 days) on it where it starts asking for a service as that is what JLR programmed into it. I'd get it reset (the timer) and let it continue on the driving cycle that is also running as far as I know. I can't remember if both (timer and driving cycle) are reset together or whether you can do that independently. MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #183510 18th Apr 2013 10:12am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1