Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Rattles and knocks
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ahebron

New Zealand 
Rattles and knocks

Replaced both front struts due to rh bursting. First drive the car was quiet.
Then it started to rattle going over bumps so replaced the arb links and the rattle has gone.
Next the steering started stiffening then releasing so I changed the fluid and sprayed the steering column knuckles with penetrating fluid which has cured it and I have a Servotronic valve on its way. I was driving through sea water recently when we had a big storm here the other week, at times the car was covered by breaking sea and sea water was sitting on the road due to blocked drains(15m sea swell at the harbour entrance). To wash the undersides I sit a garden sprinkler with full water pressure under the car and shift it around.
But now I have a new knock from the front end and at present it is only when driving slowly over a gutter and is right front and I can feel it through my feet.
So next is to replace the bush and lower ball joint and I will be doing both sides.
This bringing in parts is starting to get a bit pricey mainly in postage and I am also bringing in bits for my BMW R1150GS. Wink
Ah well life is meant to be interesting

Adrian VW Amarok 2014 Highline auto

Post #197505 4th Jul 2013 9:15am
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

You need to move to a country with decent weather.... Rolling with laughter

Post #197506 4th Jul 2013 9:19am
ambulancekidd

Scotland 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Oslo Blue

I think the fact that spraying penetrating fluid into the steering knuckles freed off the stiffening steering suggests that you need a few steering joints replacing. So it'd hardly be surprising that you've got knocking from the steering. It's time to open the piggy bank & did deep.

Whistle The reason women's minds are cleaner than a mans mind is that women change their minds more often!
When women say fine a mans in deep doodoo as fine has so many meanings.

Post #197529 4th Jul 2013 12:39pm
ahebron

New Zealand 

Last friday I replaced the front upper arm bushes and ball joint on both sides. Pressing those bushes out and in is fun, thankfully I had access to a 15 ton press as my 12 ton one wasn't upto it.
I also put in a new servotronic valve.
So far so good all the clunks and clonks have gone, though for how long I have no idea Rolling Eyes . The steering is a lot lighter than it was. It is strange how you get used to something as my steering got worse over time. And the notchy steering has also gone. Plus motorway vibrations seem to have finally disappeared fingers crossed.
All I have to replace at the front end now is the arb bushes and the lower arms but at present they are not needed.

To all those who will say why didn't get the arms with bushes as it makes life easier I will say one word, postage.

Post #200175 23rd Jul 2013 7:31am
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

Hi Adrian, glad to hear that the car is back up and running again.

In Holland with the dealer you can't even get some of the bushes, you have to order the whole front suspension arm (my postage cost is very low, using internal logistics systems). Over here you can order the bushes (very expensive though) so that is what I did (was still somewhat cheaper but mostly faster). For the rear I ordered the full set of bushes and they pressed them in here, together with the bearings.

Hope you guys are OK after the quake ? MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #200185 23rd Jul 2013 8:55am
ahebron

New Zealand 

Thanks for you concern re the quake.
I think it starting to get a bit over hyped by the press now. Those poor sods in China had a far worse deal.
Here no one has been injured and no buildings have fallen. It has just given most people a fright and hopefully a good wakeup call.
If you live on a major fault line then every now and then you will get a bit of a shake.
If you are interested
www.geonet.org.nz

Post #200188 23rd Jul 2013 9:22am
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

After wading in sea water and getting sprayed with in the only way to really wash it off is wading through a clear river and spraying the upper parts of the car quite well to rinse it off but agree with the above that your sterring knuckles need cleaning up and regreasing a lot, use Hight Temp grease so it sticks longer Smile FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #200190 23rd Jul 2013 9:40am
ebajema

I lived in New Plymouth for over a year and we got the occasional tremor there in that time, nothing major.

But following the CC quake and the aftermath (one of my friends and his family were "lucky" their damage was limited) I know how bad it can get in NZ. So glad you are OK in the greater Wellington area. MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!

Post #200196 23rd Jul 2013 10:02am
ebajema

For grease on cars, I suggest to use Shell Rhodina II. It is designed for open moving parts in the offshore industry so a very corrosive environment. We (my dad and myself) have been using it for decades on the cars and bikes and it is brilliant. Wheel nuts/bolts, no problems after you have used it on the threads or mating surfaces. MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!

Post #200200 23rd Jul 2013 10:08am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1