Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Britpart drilled/slotted disc's DA4609 have you got?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
miggit

United Kingdom 

Hi is putting your finger in the groove at the top or the bottom of the disc, at the moment the inner part of the groove hits the underside of the pad first, this should have the effect of flinging any dust away from the centre of the disc. Which by the way is the wrong way according to what I found on the web, but that is for ones with directional vents in the disc.
I was forced to drive it this morning and it was 'orrible, however it appears to disturbed the paint on the nearside calliper so that is where I will start the strip down first. If nothing is obvious then I will refit the old and very worn out disc and try it. I would be very surprised to find any dirt under the disc, as the hub was almost gleaming after I wire brushed it, I too have suffered from rust flakes in the past!

Post #283295 28th Sep 2014 11:50am
miggit

United Kingdom 

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Having stripped the suspected near side down, I found that the disc looked to be OK but the self adhesive anti-squeal backing had been caught during assembly and got doubled up on one side. So I re applied the Anti squeal backing put it all together, went for a test and Censored Censored Censored Censored brakes Censored Censored disc.
On returning from my 300 yard test run, I stripped the near side down again, put my well worn disc on again and the old pads. And went for another test run, perfect. So the moral of the story is ........ Brit Censored Parts can on occasion turn out wobbly discs, and I Censored got one of them!!!!
Tomorrow, readers, Miffed of Milton Keynes will be having a conversation with the supplier to see if if I can get just a new left disc, or if I'll have to strip the other side out again as well as the nearside for a forth time Evil or Very Mad

Post #283331 28th Sep 2014 3:00pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Just because they drill holes in them and grind slots doesn't mean they are any stronger or better than OE discs, in fact drilling holes in them weakens the disc, I've had several performance cars in the past that came with drilled discs, they have all cracked around the holes, due to creating an uneven heat dispersal by drilling holes, if you want to update the brakes just change the pads, modern silicon based ones are good and they produce less dust as well.... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #283346 28th Sep 2014 4:09pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

The main reason for changing them is 1, the old discs are so worn you could use them to make a paddling pool! And 2, because of the amount of different trailers that I tow, it is impossible to guarantee that the brakes are 100%. So rather ending up in a ditch with smoking brakes, I'd rather put up with the greater wear. The last 2 cars that I used for type of work both suffered from major brake fade, admittedly they were Landcruisers, but I'd rather err on the side of caution and not have to carry spare under pants in my tool kit Very Happy
Oh please all for give me for using the Landcruis, oops nearly done it again, word. It was for the company that I used to work for, I had no choise, honest. Well that is not strictly true, it was that or a Nissan Patrol, damed both ways! Now I'm working for myself, I can choose what I drive, but the tight old git I work for wont pay me Laughing

Post #283350 28th Sep 2014 4:43pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

whilst bedding in your new brakes, use the sticker supplied in the box.....

Post #283459 29th Sep 2014 12:52am
miggit

United Kingdom 

Oh, I didn't get that part of the Censored parts kit, looks like I'll have to give them a pass, nevermind you can still stop Very Happy Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #283498 29th Sep 2014 10:19am
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

i meant to say earlier, that if you were to rotate the disc towards the pad, (forwards) the groove would push material towards the outer edge.

Post #283508 29th Sep 2014 10:51am
miggit

United Kingdom 

Yes thats the way mine go, however a word of caution bud,

Quote:
if you were to put you finger into a groove at the inner start point

you can get arrested for putting your finger into the groove in public Rolling with laughter Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #283532 29th Sep 2014 12:57pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Update!!!!!!!!!

Miffed of Milton Keynes had a right result! The supplier has sent me another set overnight without any quibbles, I kinda get the feeling that this is not the first time its happened, no probing questions like how many races have you done on these discs. Just sorry to hear that and we'll get another set to you straight away! That's a b*gger I'll have to let his cat go Very Happy Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #283594 29th Sep 2014 5:21pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Is a result, I hope that the new ones are better! There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #283607 29th Sep 2014 6:17pm
DaveK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

miggit wrote:
UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Having stripped the suspected near side down, I found that the disc looked to be OK but the self adhesive anti-squeal backing had been caught during assembly and got doubled up on one side. So I re applied the Anti squeal backing put it all together, went for a test and Censored Censored Censored Censored brakes Censored Censored disc.
On returning from my 300 yard test run, I stripped the near side down again, put my well worn disc on again and the old pads. And went for another test run, perfect. So the moral of the story is ........ Brit Censored Parts can on occasion turn out wobbly discs, and I Censored got one of them!!!!
Tomorrow, readers, Miffed of Milton Keynes will be having a conversation with the supplier to see if if I can get just a new left disc, or if I'll have to strip the other side out again as well as the nearside for a forth time Evil or Very Mad

Not just Britparts I got some from Advanced Factors earlier this year and after just 3,000 miles they are warped as hell and completely fin barred. Not going to waste good money sending them back ( imagine the postage costs !
) . Now need to find another set for the front.

Post #283618 29th Sep 2014 6:59pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

I got mine from mode land rover, helpfull chaps! Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #283619 29th Sep 2014 7:01pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Drilled and Slotted Disc The Final Chapter, Please!

Dear Diary, today I received another set of Front Brake Discs, and I managed to contain my excitement and replace the nearside disc again, again ,again and again. This time I preformed it Field Combat Stylely, and did it blind folded, well not exactly true, but I wasn't wearing my glasses, same effect! And managed the hole operation in under 15 minutes! It took longer to get every thing out and pack away, than it did to do the job, and the jack bit me in the heal for waisting its time.
When I managed to limp back to the car for the test drive, I found it impossible to start the car with all my fingers crossed. Having got the car started I carefully pulled on to the dual carriageway and wafted up to 50 mph, grabbed the steering extra hard, tensed my right, and cringed whilst applying the brake.... it stopped!
Whats more it stopped without shaking the car to pieces Very Happy
Now all I have to do is learn how to walk again with half a heal, Censored jack Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #283784 30th Sep 2014 5:30pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Well that's a result.... Do I hear some garage wall art going on with the knackered one?? Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #283786 30th Sep 2014 6:06pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Its a nice idea, but Mode L/R want the old ones back, presumably they want them to throw at the Britpart rep. when he come-a-knocking Rolling with laughter Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #283789 30th Sep 2014 6:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12