Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L405) > First Service (and Ad Blue)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

I’d agree with that. Adblue consumption is around twice what it was in either of my previous 2015 Disco 4 SDV6’s.

Post #476133 18th Apr 2018 12:30pm
Montys 4x4

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Carpathian Grey
Ditto!

Hi sounds like software issue,
Ditto - My own L405 3.0TDV6 is a 17.5 MY collected November
Ditto - it also started asking for Adblu ay 5500 miles and I topped up a couple of hundred miles later with a LR top up bottle
Ditto - Service started flashing up at 5,800 miles at start up(by interrogating the menus its an oil service due) I checked the oil level a few times to confirm there was oil in the engine just to be sure.
I spoke to service desk at LR dealership in Ipswich, they checked the all seeing computer and said its not due anything. As its of low priority I did not mind a delay of a few weeks to get it checked and the service interval reset so have an appointment Wednesday afternoon to get it sorted hopefully and I'll report back.
Is your vehicle also a 3.0TDV6 by chance?

Paul Journey started in a LR2B at 16 and has incl. just about every Land Rover, Disco, RRS and Range Rover Vehicle owned or driven, I even worked for the company when it was owned by BAe - It must be a madness!!! because to add to my 4.4 TDV8 Westminister In Baltic Blue I bought a second L322 as a commuter bus, TD6 2004 Vogue in Oslo Blue with cream leather now both gone replaced with what could turn out to be my biggest mistake. Carpathian Grey ivory interior 3.0 tdv6 Autobiog. 2017

Post #476532 23rd Apr 2018 11:12am
Montys 4x4

Just a thought, during the recent cold spell I was using my RR to full effect driving through snow drifts and getting my midwife Wife into work and running in supplies of Bread and Milk to our village shop which was cut off to any deliveries unless you had a 4x4. The VW service interval I recall for the Touareg said if you drove you vehicle through extreme cold or hot conditions then the variable service plan would not apply and you would be stuck with a 12,000 servicing and with all the electronic trickery on our Range Rovers perhaps the inclement weather driving has triggered the early oil service.
I was also Ditto on the fact that I received no countdown to the oil service warning and also it just sits at zero when looking through the menu.
I actually drive for 50 miles to and again from work so no short journeys to me, the nearest Tesco is 8 miles away.
I also thought the DPF/Adblu was added to the exhaust after the combustion process so the corrosive element of Adblu would not enter the engine, I'll take this up with LR on Wednesday as definitely would not want Adblu washing past injector seals and cylinder bores when the engine is cold (it would be like a LR P38 4.6 V8 head gasket blowing on the rear of the block and seizing the engine in 5 miles.

Paul

Just did some research
SCR Technology (AdBlue) – Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF)

"Land Rover has introduced Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) technology on all EU6 specification diesel vehicles from 2016MY. The introduction of this technology is designed to reduce the levels of nitrogen oxide (NOx) emitted from exhaust systems by up to 90%

Using a new generation of catalytic converters this new technology introduces an additive into the diesel exhaust system made up of 32.5% high-purity urea with the remainder being deionised water all of which is stored in a vehicle mounted reservoir.

This additive is known as AdBlue® and commonly called Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) which is non-hazardous, but will stain trim, upholstery and clothing, so requires controlled refilling from special dispensing equipment, or from special non drip refill bottles." Journey started in a LR2B at 16 and has incl. just about every Land Rover, Disco, RRS and Range Rover Vehicle owned or driven, I even worked for the company when it was owned by BAe - It must be a madness!!! because to add to my 4.4 TDV8 Westminister In Baltic Blue I bought a second L322 as a commuter bus, TD6 2004 Vogue in Oslo Blue with cream leather now both gone replaced with what could turn out to be my biggest mistake. Carpathian Grey ivory interior 3.0 tdv6 Autobiog. 2017

Post #476533 23rd Apr 2018 11:35am
7 CDB

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV6 Loire Blue

This is of interest to me. Picked up a new V6 diesel FF in December of last year. Mileage is currently 4600 miles

Whilst away in Cornwall for the week last week, the ad blue/DPF message came up with the 1500 miles count downl. Put 5 litres of adblue in to clear the message. Got back home on Friday and added another 11 litres. The adblue count down is now on 7500 miles and the oil counter says service due in 2400 miles.

So, in essence the car has used 16 litres of adblue in 4600 and will need its first oil service by approx 7000 miles according to the OBC.

Does this sound right, or should I speak to the dealer and get it booked in before oil service is due?

Thanks

Post #476556 23rd Apr 2018 4:13pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

Re Monty's 4/4 concern, my understanding is that the AdBlue does indeed go in the exhaust. What can contaminate the engine oil is diesel. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #476563 23rd Apr 2018 5:04pm
Montys 4x4

Unnecessary quote removed

I'll be taking my RR into Marshall Ipswich tomorrow, noting your Lincoln Tag Marshalls in Lincoln might be able to contact Ipswich to get their heads together on the issue. I will certainly be mentioning that two RR forum members with similar age vehicles and engines have the early Oil service warning message currently.

Paul Journey started in a LR2B at 16 and has incl. just about every Land Rover, Disco, RRS and Range Rover Vehicle owned or driven, I even worked for the company when it was owned by BAe - It must be a madness!!! because to add to my 4.4 TDV8 Westminister In Baltic Blue I bought a second L322 as a commuter bus, TD6 2004 Vogue in Oslo Blue with cream leather now both gone replaced with what could turn out to be my biggest mistake. Carpathian Grey ivory interior 3.0 tdv6 Autobiog. 2017

Post #476637 24th Apr 2018 11:33am
Montys 4x4

So spent a while in JLR Ipswich today drinking good coffee and looking around the showroom while the early 5,880 mile warning for service/oil change was investigated. I went in armed with my party piece that I did not appear to be alone in this issue as other 17.5 MY 3.0 tdv6 owners were also experiencing this well it appears my engine oil had suffered dilution from the extra diesel that is injected to recharge the dpf system as was mentioned on this forum chain. There was two software upgrades carried out I believe one for the handling software and the other to do with emissions management. The dilution rate of my engine oil necessitated an oil change for which I would be charged as it was not a warranty item........ Now pull on the brakes to the conversation while the steam emitting from my ears subsided.
So I was going to be charged for a system failing within the emission system that was modified for 17.5 MY possibly around the time of VW diesel gate going viral. Sudden thoughts of early engine fail through poor lubrication came to mind and how the motoring press would report the mass recall of JLR diesel vehicles with photos of Solihull sports fields and Birmingham airport full of returned land rovers much like all the VW group diesel vehicles parked up in the American desert areas that can not be sold. Anyway I refused to pay for the oil and filter change and after the Service Manager took this news and my guarded words about going direct to Landrover to the dealer Principle I was shortly told that due to the very early oil service warning and that I was a good Group Customer that as good will on this occasion there would be no charge - I said thank you while formulating getting this news out to you all.
This is clearly a consequence of changes to emission control software last year at JLR which could result in early failure of our Diesel engines. I shall monitor my oil level like a hawk from now on any hint it is gaining in oil level height then I' m afraid early curtailment of my purchase due to unfit for purpose will follow. Shame we don't have a dipstick. Eh!
Any out there with the same issue just do not pay for the oil change for consumers sake .......
Paul
Ps can not fault the Ipswich dealership who have probably been told by JLR not to bear the cost of these oil changes as it might open the floodgate for them to match VW groups legal action against them. Come on Land Rover admit the problems and then sort them we would respect you for the honesty. I will be penning an email to JLR Customer Services tomorrow. Journey started in a LR2B at 16 and has incl. just about every Land Rover, Disco, RRS and Range Rover Vehicle owned or driven, I even worked for the company when it was owned by BAe - It must be a madness!!! because to add to my 4.4 TDV8 Westminister In Baltic Blue I bought a second L322 as a commuter bus, TD6 2004 Vogue in Oslo Blue with cream leather now both gone replaced with what could turn out to be my biggest mistake. Carpathian Grey ivory interior 3.0 tdv6 Autobiog. 2017

Post #476751 25th Apr 2018 9:30pm
7 CDB

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV6 Loire Blue

Great info many thanks

Post #476834 26th Apr 2018 4:16pm
JamesD

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

My TDV6 has done 30k miles and I have had to change the oil an average every 6k...I have had 2 of those oil changes done under warranty (without asking). I just accept that it’s preventative maintenance now for a car that does mostly short journeys. 2021 L405 Vogue D300
2016 L405 Vogue 3.0TDV6 (Sold)

Post #477601 6th May 2018 7:40am
Montys 4x4

My TDV6 has a 50 mile stretch to work and another 50 miles back in the evenings all A road at 45-50 mph average it doesn't do town driving as I hate the small parking spaces, at 9,800 miles and 7 months old its just started the countdown to its second oil service at £208 a pop its annoying but its the fight to get an appointment and waiting around dealerships that is as annoying as the joke 16000 mile/12 month service advertising for the Range Rover........

Post #480885 14th Jun 2018 9:38am
ADI

England 2016 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Fuji White

Paul

I take it that you are getting the oil changes done under warranty at no charge.

Andrew BMW X3 30e XDrive M Sport
GoneBMW 330e
Gone MY2016 RR Vogue Fuji White SDV8 with a few extras...
Gone MY2016 Discovery Sport HSE

Post #480950 15th Jun 2018 9:35am
Montys 4x4

JLR have categorically stated several times that if you bought the TDV6 RR post July 2017 the oil service cost is with the owner, as in July 17 JLR amended the brochure and on line brochure to read that early oil servicing call up is due to driving styles of individual drivers and not covered by Warranty this is reiterated in the JLR internal document Service Notification JLRP00100 that concerns engine oil dilution due to updated emissions software introduced in the 2.0 and 3.0 diesels. The JLRP00100 states that vehicles registered before July 17 with have the additional oil service visits covered by Land Rover.
I have several approaches to resolving the issue between myself and Land Rover in November 2017 when I purchased the RR I asked for a brochure to check what I would have included with the spec. of my vehicle this brochure had been withdrawn in the dealership and online due to the sales order books for the 2018 Model having been opened. I had to ask for individual build sheets of the 17.5 model year vehicles that were available as built vehicles to make my choice. So no brochures available how was I to be aware that the 16000 mile 12 Month servicing was an aspiration not a given.
However my first oil service at 7k was covered by dealership goodwill and I'm hoping that goodwill may extend to the upcoming oil service. Its not just about the service cost £208 but now about the amount of my time each year I will spend trying to get booked in and waiting around Land Rover showrooms.

Cheers

Post #480954 15th Jun 2018 10:40am
Montys 4x4

An update, the early warning of an oil service at 1850 miles outstanding evaporated in just 449 miles leaving me to call Landrover Assist to recover my Range Rover for the oil Service and dilution check (the internal SCN JLRP00100 states that if the oils service message appears and there is no miles left the owner should not drive the vehicle as the engine WILL fail - so a safety issue).
The oil dilution check failed at 7.2% diesel in oil at just 2969 miles driven by myself. Again Marshall's as a goodwill gesture covered the cost of the oil service they also carried out a download of the ECU which had recorded 47 DPF regeneration cycles in the 2969 miles this was deemed excessive so a Tech Query has been raised. This morning just 490 since the oil change last week my Oil service countdown is now at 5,100 miles and as previously experienced this will likely evaporate in half those miles.
So no cure to the oil dilution issue has been offered and I have today given 28 days notice to either cure in that period or consider the vehicle rejected.
Again this is a 3.0 TDV6 RR Autobiog. 17.5 model year purchased in November 2017. If others are experiencing the same high frequency oil service messages I would love to hear from you to compare notes and data.

Thank you

Post #482614 4th Jul 2018 12:59pm
GadgetBazza

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Fuji White

Hi Monty,

Interesting updates. I must have missed the forum notification, I thought my thread had died!

To confirm, yes mine is a tdv6 3.0

My dealer replaced my oil and filter and completely filled up my ad-blue completely free of charge, I didn’t even have to suggest this.

My car is due it’s 1st service now, I’ve not had any messages regarding oil or service until now (as it’s due) so I’m hopeful that mine is ok. But I will check the readings tomorrow when I get a chance.

I actually came here to check what gets done in the initial service as my dealer has quoted £492 and I’m not sure what they are doing for that!

Post #489271 18th Sep 2018 10:07pm
John w

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Barolo Black

whatever it is, it involves pulling your pants down first Confused Whistle

At £180 an hour (current main dealer rate I believe) that is probably only a couple of hours labour plus fluids and filters. Too many toys, not enough time

2011 4.4 TDV8 AB Black

Post #489312 19th Sep 2018 1:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>