Home > My Range Rover > My Black Remapped 2004 TD6 Autobiography
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 18 123 ... 161718>
Print this entire topic · 
green-oval-nut

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Stornoway Grey
My Black Remapped 2004 TD6 Autobiography

I must be mad.

I have agreed a part exchange deal with my Shogun for a 2004 TD6 Black Autobiography fatty. Believed to be a black edition.

2 Owners, Part history, Old Parrot Bluetooth, Screens in the backs of the seats, 149000 miles, Chrome side tubes, Cream leather, etc...

On the test drive I have to admit, I broke down twice, (hot starting problem) as I turned the engine off twice. Sadly it has been run on fumes for the last 5 weeks roughly. So the car dealer refused to let it go as it was. He cleaned out the fuel filter, and has said this seems to have solved the problem, But he is taking it to a repair garage on Tuesday morning to get it looked over.

The car is far from immaculate.

The faults I found so far:

Split intercooler pipe. (I was wrong, it was a loose connection EGR cooler)
Both front fog lights cracked. (Replaced)
3 out of 4 rear lights broken. (Replaced)
Rear bumper damaged. (Bodged for now)
Drivers mirror lens seems to be stuck in night mode but in an orangish colour.
Passenger mirror will not adjust at all even by hand.
Remote fob casing is damaged. (Upgrade key bought)
Drivers side rear door has a central locking fault. (Unlocks on the button in the car, but not from the key fob). (Fixed)
Restraint warning light lit. (Loose connection under the front passenger seat)
Interior stinks of cigars and fags and needs a good clean. (Over a year and still smells a bit)
1 tyre seems to have a puncture. (Replaced all 4 wheels).
Diagnostics revealed - P0380, Glow Plug Relay Failure - Short circuit to battery positive +ve.
- P0401 Extended fault path EGR govenor deviation - negative deviation. (EGR System Fully Removed).
Also the brake pad low warning message comes up, but brand new pads were fitted 2 weeks ago. (Wear sensor had a broken wire and was replaced)

I know, I must be crazy taking on another L322 that is starting life with me with problems. But I think it is worth it. So now my Petrol V8 has a baby brother.

But I just couldn't live with my Shogun 3.2 Di-D, I found it painful to drive long distance and on a bad day, painful to climb into.

I do have plans to upgrade the Autobiography though as I am not keen on how it looks now.

2005-2009 Rear Lights. (Already on there way) Laughing
Clear wing indicators.
Similar wing vents to my V8.
Custom front grill or maybe a PowerfulUK front grill.
Rear bumper lights.
LED Bulbs throughout.
Update the Parrot to stream music.
Roof spoiler.
Different wheels.
Paint inside of the headlights (Undecided at this time)
Silicone hoses under the bonnet.
Upgraded dipped headlight and main beam bulbs.
Change chrome sidetubes to sidesteps.

I should be bringing it home on Wednesday, as long as nothing major is found wrong on Tuesday.

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by green-oval-nut on 22nd Jul 2019 1:17pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #477658 6th May 2018 9:28pm
green-oval-nut

I finally got it home.

Post #477995 11th May 2018 12:22am
green-oval-nut

Made a few changes and the hot starting issue seems to have resolved itself after I put fuel traatment stuff in and gave it a good run up the M25.

No more tango coloured indicators on the wings or the back. Many parts are ordered. Tailgate straps as they are snapped, reg lights as one lens is missing and I need the micro switch for the other RR, Reverse lights etc... and the cigarette lighter sockets was thankfully only down to a blown fuse.

However, the ruddy passenger mirror flaps at motorway speeds which is very annoying.

Post #478291 13th May 2018 7:09pm
Nelly

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Barolo Black

Thumbs Up 2007 range rover vogue, Black with issues
Yamaha raptor Gsxr 1000
Yamaha raptor 700
Audi A6 Black edition
Fully restored Vespa px125

Post #478303 13th May 2018 8:51pm
bertie1

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Adriatic Blue

looking good good luck with it whats on the plan next ?

Post #478353 14th May 2018 12:53pm
green-oval-nut

I'm not entirely sure what the plans are next. Everything is up in the air as sorting out another car for my other half, I am impressed with the Range Rover though, did 200 miles today alone which was a mixture of motorway and London North Circular driving in rush hour and achieved 28mpg.

I would like to facelift it really, but not sure, I have now discovered a cattlegrid feeling through the revs at about 2000rpm, but drives perfectly other then that. I am planning on changing the wheels, adding a spoiler, changing the wing vents and the grill. But mostly get this one mechanically great again.

It doesn't make me want to get rid of the V8 petrol one, but certainly beats my Shogun.

I hope it is not a short lived ownership.

Post #478381 14th May 2018 6:37pm
bertie1

Cool what wheels you looking for a may have a set of 19` ones up for sale soon cheap need a couple of tyres but wont be home for a few weeks

Post #478383 14th May 2018 6:47pm
green-oval-nut

Ideally the same 20" Wheels that I have on my other RR, but I am open to other options like 19" Wheels, I just can't stand the wheels that are on it now lol.

Post #478384 14th May 2018 6:49pm
bertie1

yes they are pants Laughing

Post #478385 14th May 2018 6:58pm
zarnd

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Bonatti Grey

What is a black edition? Never heard of one - what extras do you get with it etc...?

cheers Alex

2018 Skoda Kodiaq vRS
2009 Caterham Supersport Race car
2007 M5 Touring
2005 Range Rover Vogue SE Supercharged
2004 SL55 AMG

Post #478552 16th May 2018 8:44am
green-oval-nut

Probably like most cars, it probably means lower spec lol. I really don’t know other than the car is black lol.

Post #478565 16th May 2018 12:19pm
green-oval-nut

The old design strap bolts are ridiculous! The hex bits were rounded off, the shape and access makes it extremely difficult to remove. 4 hours later, finally got the old bits off and the new straps on. I also investigated the 3rd brake light not working. Had hoped it was a case of a dodgy wire or it not being plugged in. Sadly it was just dead. So a new brake light has been fitted.

I have also removed the floor panel to be deep cleaned as it has goodness knows what heavily ground into it.

Click image to enlarge

Post #479006 20th May 2018 11:20pm
green-oval-nut

Got to love a complication to my health on top of a muggy, hot, stormy bank holiday weekend.

I was feeling unwell for a few weeks, put it down to the heat and normal issues I have. Well, Friday evening I had the shock of my life, I was bleeding from where no one should bleed and had a fever along with chest pains. Thought nothing of the chest pains as I have a known healthy heart with 0 colesteral build up etc... So the ambulance was called and arrived, got me in the back, next thing I know, I am being told, don't panic, take this aspirin, you are having a heart attack! Can't tell you how quick my blood pressure went up from the shock.

After being taken in to the hospital and given different verdicts, a doctor finally explained that I had ended up with an infection from a certain type of kidney stone of which I have several and had passed 2 very very large ones before the ambulance arrived, and the infection had triggered a very mild heart attack which had lasted about 3 days, and had I not gone in when I did, it could have gotten much worse for me, as in, my organs would have started shutting down. Thankfully caught in the nick of time. Had my scans and other tests including 2 ECG's. And was out Saturday afternoon after introvenous anti biotics and a large prescription to take for a while. I asked if it was alright for me to drive, and was told it was fine as long as I felt safe and wasn't drowsy and they are even now on standby in case I have to go back.
Fingers crossed so far, I haven't needed to go back.
So me being me, hated the idea of wasting tickets to a car show in Peterborough that were bought in February, and drove 120 miles to the show Laughing I made additional stops to rest, and was in my wheelchair the whole time I wasn't driving, so I was ok.

The drive up was perfect. 29.5 mpg average on the way up. Then the journey back was a little bit of a different story, The whole car jerked while I was cruising at 40 on the A1m, and lost all oomph, I could still accelerate, but it was very gutless, but still changing through all the gears, and Fuel Injection System Faul message along with the dreaded Bong displayed. So I limped it around 10-15 more miles and thought it would be safe to pull into the next services, which I did. Turned it off. Then tried to restart it. It was harder than normal to start, but eventually fired up with the same Fuel Injection System message displaying, So I thought, screw it, I will just limp it the rest of the way home, but to my surprise, as I put my foot down, all the power was back, and within 500 yards, the Fuel System message had vanished and could not be made to come back up. The car drove perfectly all the way home of which I covered around 140 miles as made a few minor detours. Annoyingly, for the first time ever, I didn't have my diagnostics with me which I usually take everywhere if I am in a Range Rover.

I am hoping that this is going to be a relatively easy fix.

But the hot starting problem is very much there still.

Still totally in love with the car though.

Post #479497 28th May 2018 12:12am
appj62

England 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

[quote="green-oval-nut"]The old design strap bolts are ridiculous! The hex bits were rounded off, the shape and access makes it extremely difficult to remove. 4 hours later, finally got the old bits off and the new straps on.

Invest in a dremmel, took me about 1/2 hour to remove old straps and replace with new. Previous cars:
S-Max 2007-2013 (only diesel I've had, good car but expensive when diesely bits go wrong, so what's the point?)
Galaxy 2001-2007
Mondeo Estate 1997-2001
Sierra Estate 1993-1997
Uno Turbo 1987 -1993
Fiesta 1984 - 1987
Fiat 127 1982 - 1984

Post #479500 28th May 2018 6:54am
green-oval-nut

I knew I forgot something. I already own a dremel and totally ruddy forgot 😮. It must still be packed from when I moved in September lol.

Post #479514 28th May 2018 9:43am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 18 123 ... 161718>