1999 P38a gone
1997 p38a gone
1993 VSE gone
1992 VSE gone
1966 Series 2a with V8 conversion gone

Post #488795 12th Sep 2018 10:53pm
green-oval-nut

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Stornoway Grey

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. I feel so much more confident in tackling this job now thanks to the link you posted. I really appreciate it.

This is now on my to do list for Friday ahead of the LRO show.

Next on my list is researching the parts needed for the suspension arm LR018344. Trying to find out if I should be buying a replacement ball joint as well as a new bolt. This job I am entrusting to the mobile mechanic I use as I don't have solid off road parking and it is not safe to work on the cars next to the road due to moron parents who seem to think 50mph upwards is ok in a 30mph narrow road through an estate where children use as a cut through for shops etc...

I am only wishing it was daytime on Friday now lol, although I might have time tomorrow if the family lunch out finishes early enough.

Post #488796 12th Sep 2018 11:19pm
green-oval-nut

After taking Oscar the V8 out to lunch with the family, The weather was still great so I took the plunge, I replaced the EGR thermostat. 3 minutes my Censored

My neighbour came to the rescue to help cut off the stupid style jubilee clips off the vacuum pipe as I had lost my tool, a whole expansion bottles worth of coolant was lost out of the hole that the EGR thermostat was removed from, and the new thermostat's rubber O ring was waay to thick for the hole, so had to clean up the old O ring and re-use it.

In all, apart from waiting 2 hours for my other half to get home from work and shopping to pick up the jubilee clips I needed, the job actually took me about an hour in total.

Was a pig to do, but in all honesty, I did enjoy working on the car. Even treated it to a basic snowfoam wash and rinse afterwards. I will be taking the tools I needed for the job with me at the weekend for the road trip to the LRO show just in case I did something wrong, and I now also have a noisy pully since coolant got all over them when escaping. I have even bought a set of different size O rings, just in case I need them.

Did do a small road test, but the dual carriage way right near my house which I wanted to use, was closed when I got to it. The needle was moving very slowly, but only the drive at the weekend will reveal if the new EGR thermostat at 153,040 miles has cured or at least helped with the over cooling issue that I have.

Post #488861 14th Sep 2018 2:06am
green-oval-nut

The EGR Thermostat replacement did not cure the problem Sad

BUT, drove up to the LRO show, then around Essex before heading home to Kent afterwards without a single breakdown, just 3 times of hot starting problems in Essex.

Had a great time at the LRO show, although there were more Land Rover's in the car park, than on show Laughing

Was getting 38.5mpg on the way up until we reached the closed A14 and had to take a mega detour as 6 twits crashed on the normal diversion, so came home via the M1.

The long road trip today made me fall even more in love with my car.

Post #488994 15th Sep 2018 10:35pm
wayneg

Australia 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

Was the thermostat you fitted new? If it is not the egr thermostat stuck open then it must be the main Thermostat, nowhere near as common as the egr stat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2HWXOdv2fk 2007 TDV8 VSE
2003 TD6 gone.
2002 P38a gone
1999 P38a gone
1997 p38a gone
1993 VSE gone
1992 VSE gone
1966 Series 2a with V8 conversion gone

Post #488999 16th Sep 2018 12:55am
green-oval-nut

The thermostat I bought was new but used if you get what I mean. Or advertised as only fitted briefly. Only paid £5 for it delivered, but I am wondering if it is faulty. The old EGR thermostat was definitely at the end of its life though.

After the MOT I will get a brand new one and fit it.

Post #489039 16th Sep 2018 6:20pm
green-oval-nut

Last week, went for a picnic on the South Downs and drove the byway that goes from Firle to Alfriston in both directions minus the last small section near Alfriston as it was very badly over grown. Now freaking out over the MOT that expires in 14 days. But have emailed the garage to get it booked in for the day it expires.

Post #490020 26th Sep 2018 1:38pm
green-oval-nut

Saturday 29th Went for another afternoon laning on Kompt Lane and Old Coach Road Between Firle and Alfriston. Even got to play with my latest selfie drone. Was so upset with myself for forgetting to check the battery status so didn't get to have it follow my whilst driving this time. Just manage to get a photo and short video.

This coming weekend I am taking it on a laning trip in Kent and will be using my drone to video it as long as the wind isn't too strong.

I would have posted sooner, but my old computer packed up and had to wait for the new one to be delivered.

Post #490761 3rd Oct 2018 12:50am
green-oval-nut

After a couple of months of me over worrying about the MOT, The MOT was due to expire today anyway so put it in, and cannot say how relieved I am that it passed.

A few advisories though.

Play in steering inner joint (s)

Tyre worn close to legal limit on edge Offside Rear

Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement Offside Front.

Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement Nearside Front.

Oil leak, but not excessive

Sub-frame pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement Rear.

Going to get a quote to start getting through the advisories as soon as the mechanic is free.

Post #491726 10th Oct 2018 2:59pm
green-oval-nut

Absolutely fuming!

Last night I had to witness a stupid young woman who has toddlers, in the 1st floor flat opposite my house playing with fireworks. Clearly off her face, had her druggy mates round, they were launching fireworks from the flat living room window.

At first they were targeting a Nissan Juke parked in front of the flats, then on and off it was my Range Rovers! As well as our houses and even people walking in the street and the gas works.

Thankfully my Range Rovers weren’t damaged, and although I called the police, it took them 2 hours to arrive, by which time the incident had stopped! But I had assumed it would be a priority callout as people were being targeted. Got it all on video!

But the Range Rovers have been rinsed off, ready for more tonight.

Post #494579 4th Nov 2018 11:52am
green-oval-nut

Finally going to have a fully working rear wiper and washer. £15 including delivery got a used arm with jets coming. In the summer this fault wasn't an issue for me, but with this rain, the arm doesn't hold the wiper to the window and can't wash it, and I actually use my rear view mirrors lol.

Also trying to find someone to fit a waterpump and thermostat. One job I don't fancy doing as I know bleeding the system is a nightmare.

Post #495039 8th Nov 2018 7:05pm
green-oval-nut

Well pleased with the latest saving. I was quoted £400 to get my front pads and discs replaced at a garage, and just managed to get Terrafirmer grooved and drilled discs, Brembo pads, cheap air filter, OEM Fuel filter for £144.96 with delivery from Island 4x4. Gutted that they no longer have a shop open to the public as I would have collected the parts, but now have to wait 1-3 working days. And especially in this weather, there is no way I am fitting them myself, so paying a mechanic £100 lol.

But I will do the fuel and air filter myself.

Post #495100 9th Nov 2018 3:50pm
Paul thornton

United Kingdom 

Air filter can be a nightmare on a td6. Just make sure you take note of how the old one comes out

Also make sure you get the bolt at the back of the engine lined up first otherwise you'll never get the cover back on.

Post #495103 9th Nov 2018 4:50pm
green-oval-nut

Thanks for the heads up. Feeling nervous now lol

Post #495104 9th Nov 2018 4:54pm
GraemeJudge

2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black

Is that there price or have you got a discount code for all that??

Post #495118 9th Nov 2018 6:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 18 <123 456 ... 161718>