Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L405) > Oil
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
roberlar

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black
Oil

Hi all, I have a question regarding my L405 2013 SDV8 AB. Checked oil level July 18--ok. Checked again December 2018, showed as over filled but depending on where it was parked. Sucked 1 pint out and showed ok on the level or a very slight incline. Checked again Feb 2019 showed over filled again, but depending on where it was parked. Car has only covered about 4k miles since last main dealer service. I do tend to drive a lot of local miles, although many of these roads are quite fast so can't imagine I'm bunging up the DPF or forcing diesel in to the oil. Have also done a few long motorway stints as well. No warnings on the dash. None the less, as an interim precaution I think I ought to change the oil and filter as assuming the electronic dipstick is accurate, somethings getting in there. I believe there may be a slight coolant leak as I can often smell anti freeze after a run. However the amount of coolant required to top up is minimal and doesn't stack up to the oil level increase. Furthermore, getting hold of the right engine oil seems to be a challenge. I know the recommended oil is Castrol Edge 5W-30 Professional but this seems to be main dealer only. With regards to oil quality, a respected local garage said 'it's a bit like wearing Asda George jeans compared with Georgio Armani Jeans.....there's not much in it other than the price'. Any thoughts much appreciated.

Post #506925 1st Mar 2019 8:01pm
Baltic Blue

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Baltic Blue

If you go to the “Opie Oils” website and enter your car Reg it will offer you several suitable oils.
My L322 with an almost the same 4.4tdV8 engine runs on Shell oil, but be very careful to make sure you get AF “L” grade
The “L” being crucial.
I have changed mine a couple of times and found you have to be very careful to not put too much in.
I have found that 8ltrs gives a half full reading when the oil is cold, but raises to nearly full when it gets hot.
Also that when I suck it out ( hot ) it goes over the 9ltr marking level on the pump tank.

Mike. G reg 2.5VM Vogue Portofino red 1991- 1999
V reg 2.5td P38 Rioja red 1999- 2006
53 reg td6 Vogue Oslo blue 2006- 2015
11 reg 4.4 TdV8 Vogue SE. Baltic blue 2015- date.
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic56162...tty+affair

Post #506931 1st Mar 2019 8:37pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Roberlar, have a look at your coolant bottle... Is it really clean and clear? The early 405's have a tendency for oil cooler failure! Mixing oil and coolant, on a run they start to stink usually...

Do you have access to a ramp? Put it on then look at the bell housing for major oil leaks Thumbs Up

Post #506941 1st Mar 2019 11:40pm
roberlar

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Thanks for the replies. I originally picked up some Edge Titanium LL but on checking the spec it's different to the professional. I then looked on the Opie Oils website which stated ' Castrol Edge 5w-30 LL FST fully synthetic engine oil can be used instead of Castrol Edge Professional 5W-30 FST, products that are mainly only available from dealerships and are generally a lot more expensive with similar / same specifications'. However I then emailed them and they said don't use it as the oil needs to meet Ford spec ending 934B. Therefore it seems I either need the Professional Edge or Helix AF-L or equivalent.

I haven't noticed any oil where the car normally sits so I hope there's no issue with the oil cooler. Coolant seems to look ok and I assume any oil would be sat on top ? Definately the occasional whiff of hot coolant at the front of the car after a run though.
In any event I guess the safest thing at this stage is change the oil and monitor what goes on. BTW checked the oil level on the exact spot it recently showed over-full a couple of times and it showed ok. A proper dipstick would be really useful !

Post #506957 2nd Mar 2019 9:21am
Baltic Blue

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Baltic Blue

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic48509.html

Keep an eye on this 4way joint, they are known to weep and eventually snap completely.

Mike. G reg 2.5VM Vogue Portofino red 1991- 1999
V reg 2.5td P38 Rioja red 1999- 2006
53 reg td6 Vogue Oslo blue 2006- 2015
11 reg 4.4 TdV8 Vogue SE. Baltic blue 2015- date.
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic56162...tty+affair

Post #506958 2nd Mar 2019 9:32am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1