Home > Technical (L405) > Smell of fumes from 4.4 SDV8 when driving slowly
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account

Hi AbzRR

Thank you for your post.

I note your query and would advise that in order for me to comment on the concern that you are experiencing, I would need to speak with your retailer to confirm their findings. I can then advise accordingly.

Whilst I appreciate the question being asked, I must advise that concerns can vary and the root cause may differ in each case. Therefore, an inspection and diagnosis must be made by our retailers in each specific case in order to confirm if a fault is present and what the root cause is in each case. As advised, without speaking to the retailer who have diagnosed your vehicle, I would be unable to comment further at this time.

Should you wish to contact me directly, please feel free to do so and I will be happy to look into your concerns further.

Regards

Ryan Please note although Land Rover will try to assist you with your issue, we are unable to provide any technical advice. This account is available between 0900 and 17:00 hours Monday – Friday. Outside of this time if you require assistance, please drop us a Private Message and we'll get back to you.

Post #372019 12th Feb 2016 5:15pm
EdJ

United Kingdom 

Mine has had the warranty work done, and - whilst early days - it does seem to have fixed the problem. 2024 Range Rover P550e AB

Post #372217 13th Feb 2016 9:36pm
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE 5.0 SC V8 Havana

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up All my spelling errorz are belong to me!

2023 FFRR L460
2020 Range Rover Velar

Post #372229 13th Feb 2016 11:30pm
XXXAngelXXX

Ok i had the FBH and the keys (security issues) update today - let us see what it brings.... Rolling Eyes All my spelling errorz are belong to me!

2023 FFRR L460
2020 Range Rover Velar

Post #373965 24th Feb 2016 7:23pm
vanquishspirit

United Kingdom 

it won't solve it. Its all a big cover up from Land Rover who are desperately worrying that nobody takes this further or sues them for Carbon Monoxide poisoning. They cocked up the design of the vehicle by putting a FBH where they have and there is no solution other than to re engineer the whole engine bay. Further to that, the 4.4 SDV8 will not meet its emission standard without the FBH to warm it up, thereby treading dangerously close to VW territory.

I just returned from a 500 mile round trip in mine yesterday. I and my passengers have sore throats today from the fumes in the car and the FBH ran all day as the temperature outside was so low, causing vibration through all the pedals and steering wheels and gear knob. The vibration is just awful, its worse than driving a transit van by a long way. Great car, but not great enough to get over this. I have been back to my dealer 10 x over this, now LR and the dealer are adopting the "don't return his calls" approach or "speak with your supplying dealer" Pathetic. In this day and age of litigation, they needed to get this sorted 2 years ago. 2006 S/C owned from new. Black, sand with black inserts. Shes a thirsty girl. ( now gone)

1972 Suffix A fully restored 2 door

1970, chassis number 26 the first of the press launch cars, Masai Red

2013 4.4SDV8 Autobiograpahy

Post #374045 25th Feb 2016 7:55am
Paul J.

England 

Why would it run all day?

And, why would it produce excessive carbon monoxide when there is no shortage of air for combustion?

And, why would the small amount of CO produced not be massively diluted by the air flows around the vehicle, before there was any prospect of it being drawn into the cabin?

And, since when has a sore throat been a symptom of CO poisoning?

Rolling Eyes

Post #374048 25th Feb 2016 9:17am
XXXAngelXXX

on my car (an SC) it occurred only SOMETIMES for a FEW SECS - i hope it is gone now Smile

PS. perhaps on the *oil burner* it is much more of a problem Mr. Green All my spelling errorz are belong to me!

2023 FFRR L460
2020 Range Rover Velar

Post #374053 25th Feb 2016 9:41am
EdJ

United Kingdom 

Quick update on mine, since having the dealer fix done, I still haven't noticed the fumes. 2024 Range Rover P550e AB

Post #374104 25th Feb 2016 3:31pm
XXXAngelXXX

Same here - i was driving all day - it was cold and no smell of gas in the car Smile - one happy customer again here Smile All my spelling errorz are belong to me!

2023 FFRR L460
2020 Range Rover Velar

Post #374106 25th Feb 2016 3:48pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

Just on the "sore throat" point, the Health & Safety Executive leaflet 'Diesel engine exhaust emissions' talks about irritation to the upper respiratory tract being associated with diesel fumes. I definitely wouldn't want them in the cabin for any length of time - it must be very unhealthy. The CO won't be the irritant, but there is plenty else, as the leaflet specifies. Petrol cars won't have as much soot but the aromatic compounds, especially from super unleaded additives, are pretty nasty.

On "running all the time", my understanding is that the FBH is on whenever the car is running at 5 degrees C or below in the diesels, as they are so efficient that they don't generate enough heat to get the cabin to normally selected temperatures in those conditions. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #374393 26th Feb 2016 9:02pm
AbzRR

Scotland 2016 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Aruba
L405 Successful Result

Sorry it's been a while since I was on this forum as I've been sorting out the L405 problem.

After a huge effort by the dealer they found what they think was the problem. Looking at the car, a 2016 model L405, with the bonnet open there are various plastic covers to the rear of the engine bay which are fixed in place by plastic screws. The one that is relevant is at the rear of the engine bay and on the left. If the 4 screws / bolts are undone you can look into a void and there are various cables and pipes running along inside this void. One pipe goes downwards through a hole but there was no sealant to stop fluids or gas getting into the bulkhead. They sealed this and told me that this had solved the problem.

However by this time I had lost faith in the car and had rejected it formally through a lawyer. I told them that as far as I was concerned it had not been built correctly and could not trust the fact that they thought they'd fixed it. I never drove it again.

After an age I received a new identical vehicle with a zero invoice. I've now done 1000 miles in it and even this one has the odd 'stink' especially when stopped at traffic lights. However the previous one was undriveable without being sick and God help whoever buys it. It's on their forecourt for sale!!

One very weird thing though. I ordered the first one in August 2015, a 2016 L405 Vogue SDV8, and when it was delivered it showed that it had been built in September 2015.

The new one was delivered a couple of weeks ago and has a build date in April 2016.

The weird thing is that if I remove the same plastic cover at the rear of the engine bay and look into the void the configuration of pipes and holes and cables is different. The hole that was there isn't any more!!!

I'm also beginning to wonder if my previous thought isn't not too far off and it's the brakes making the smell. It only happens n this one after braking and stopping.

Oh well my wife loves the thing so all's reasonably well. 2016 Vogue SDV8
2009 TDV8 Westminster
2017 Tesla Model S 90D
2000 SL600
2009 SL63

Post #389855 2nd Jun 2016 3:52pm
DrF

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Orkney Grey

Had the warranty work done and no smell, but it is a Supercharged. Another happy customer here Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #389915 2nd Jun 2016 9:50pm
RRSuperc

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Luxor

Has anyone here had the work apparently done to the fuel burn heater by the main dealer and still getting the 'petrol' smell into the cabin from the AC. I am still experiencing this problem although the smell is not as strong as before.

Post #509894 26th Mar 2019 2:40pm
Mr Tee

Scotland 

Mine has always done this, the smell inside is just terrible when stationery, the recirculation only stays on for a few minutes then switches back . Is it a simple fix? Going to have a wee poke about tomorrow assuming weather stays fair.

Post #536627 7th Dec 2019 10:16am
roberlar

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

I've never had any odour in the car when using the FBH and never seen smoke emitting from beneath the car either. Excuse my ignorance, but how does the FBH operate on the petrol 5.0 SC. I can't imagine how volatile petrol can operate the heater safely

Post #536738 8th Dec 2019 8:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>