Home > Technical (L322) > Electrical Gremlin Help
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
RR P38

Australia 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

All good mate
Just throwing ideas out there

There are several bus systems in the L322 and a fibre optic network, with the instrument cluster acting as a gateway bridge
You see in your datasheet the first fault under event 1 registration (im no expert here) but its telling you the instrument cluster is the first fault, then the next series of event registrations cascade from there rapidly........looking at the millisecond registration times.
Have you pulled the instrument cluster out for any reason? ever? Possible loose connections?

Are there any non standard accessories installed in your FF?
It could be something as simple as cable shielding damage or an ADD ON cable some place which is draped or wrapped around the original FF wiring harness.........could just be cross talk interference on the bus network.

I would check that alternator output, I had mine fail on me a few months ago, some pretty weird stuff started happening when I was driving

Post #553518 11th May 2020 11:10pm
the_ferret82

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver

welcome to any of the suggestions apologies if it seams like im not. i will do another code read and see if anything news has cropped up or changed. im not expert on these either just someone that knows enough to be dangerous Smile

up until the other weekend i had not touched the instrument cluster and i only touched it following a suggestion else where for a possible loose connection. but you have to take so much apart to get to it on )8 models i could have touched anything. ill confess i did re-strip the passenger side of the dash Sunday and remove all electrical components and double check all connectors on the fuse box and other ECU's there, didn't really find anything loose or any bad connections. the only "non standard" thing fitted is an official ACM unit but that came with the car. i have moved it from its original location (a top of the fuse box loose) to a more fitting mounted place i did this the weekend and rerouted the USB cable from it for easier access, but the issue first appeared before i did all this.

i will check the alternator voltage later this week when i get 5 mins and report back

Post #553522 11th May 2020 11:22pm
the_ferret82

words quickest update... alternator is OK. Battery voltage car off = 12.45 volts. car on 14.2 so all within limits.

Post #553709 13th May 2020 2:29pm
the_ferret82

managed to capture this last night after coming home. this is what the issue looks like at its worst..

Post #553781 13th May 2020 9:45pm
roverguy7

United States 

What you're seeing in that picture is the Medium Speed CAN dropping out. Data between TPMS and IPC cannot transmit, as well as the radio IHU loses it's ignition signal.

This can be wiring related or module related. The easiest check you can do is to unplug what you can and see if failure continues. As stated above, the tpms module is always suspect on these, even when they're not filled with water. Unplug it and drive it for a while, see if the audio still cuts out at times.

You will have the tpms warnings, but if that module is at fault(shorting the MS CAN) the radio function will not be affected any more.

Post #553999 15th May 2020 6:28pm
the_ferret82

Thanks for the info. ill see if the car wants to play as it does not always happen and see if unplugging thte moduel helps.. i think i may have tried it but cant be 100% any more as had so much out tracing the fault now.

Post #554016 15th May 2020 8:49pm
the_ferret82

its not the TPMS module. it do still get the issue with it unplugged. ill go back to the fault code reader tomorrow.,

Post #554025 15th May 2020 10:32pm
roverguy7

United States 

Somewhat unfortunately, there's not much to the MSCAN on those, at least that can be separated from the circuit.

The IHU and PATS module have the network terminating resistors in them, and the IPC is a pass-though, these are necessary for the network to function. TPMS, Climatic Seats, Rear Climate Control, and Companion Camera are the only spur connections on MSCAN, these can be disconnected without effect on the rest of the circuit.

Get another fault report, what I'd be focused on is that there are no faults stored in the IHU. If it was working fine, it should have set faults for mscan being down during failure.

Do you have the factory ipod accessory kit installed by chance?

Post #554093 16th May 2020 6:13pm
the_ferret82

I actually managed to get the computer on the car this morning and looked at all the fault codes there was many. a lot to do with audio and the IPC, TPMS as well as other modules, infarct there was that many it was hard to tell what was a real issue and what was caused by me taking the car apart chasing this fault. so i decided to clear the faults and have a clean slate.

i do have a factory ACM installed (ipod) and due to the large number of Audio related faults i thought lets remove it see if it helps as i had moved it before all these errors started as it had fallen down on top of the fusebox and was rattling..

with the ACM removed i took the car for a good drive for about 40 odd miles which recently has been more then long enough for the issue to show. on the drive i did get a TPMS fault but the radio stayed on and didn't reboot so maybe the ACM or its wiring is to blame?

also looking at the fault code it did show the companion camera as a permanent fault even after the clear have to say i never noticed this before as i think i have used it like twice just messing around. it was right it didn't work, but what's odd is that it started working but only partly after the drive, but only after i tried to turn the car off and the car would not register the key was out the ignition and when i turned the car back on. could i have 2 issues one with the ignition and one with the ACM?

i will rescrape the car for codes in the morning

Post #554108 16th May 2020 7:54pm
the_ferret82

Been though and reread the car this morning after driving it around yesterday with the ACM removed, and so far no more random radio reboots...

the results are in this is what the codes look like.

initial read this morning

cleared all codes and then reread them without a drive and these are what showing as a fault still

and these no longer reporting.

and after a short drive around the block and having the TPMS fault flash up once.

the complaining camera is not working its not registering the camera is even there. although it does work. i did put some LED bulbs in the headlights and fog lights the other day it does not show any bulb issues on the dash but could be be the reason for the bulb faults reported. note i did these way after my issue started and the two speakers are there and functioning correctly.

im starting to think as per my previous post im chasing 2 faults here maybe a bad fibre on the ACM and the ignition switch

Post #554160 17th May 2020 9:53am
roverguy7

United States 

That's a lot of LCM faults, how many LEDs did you install??

Assuming you're talking just the key in warning, and not the ignition actually staying on, that isn't going to be the ignition switch. The key in warning is a MSCAN message from the PATS module to the IPC, based on the transponder coil ring picking up the key, no physical switch, and is most likely still a MSCAN issue.

I haven't messed with an ACM is years, so correct me if I'm mistaken, but it wires up with a jumper harness going into the IHU, and just pulls 12v and ground from the jumper, aside from fiber and usb/audio, no other wires going to it, right?

If so, the ACM shouldn't be able to cause any of this itself, as no actual MSCAN connection to it, and anything going on with the MOST ring shouldn't cause the rest of your issues.

Take a good look at the jumper harness, and it's connection to the IHU. It seems like this is pointing to an IHU issue, but that isn't a module you can just unplug to test the rest of the circuit, which makes confirmation difficult.

Post #554231 17th May 2020 7:14pm
the_ferret82

Im running LEd Lights in:-

all interior lights
Rear number plate lights
Puddle Lights
Main (Full) beam
Side Ligths
Turning lights
Fog lights

yes i am talking about the key in message i do have it on the dash when its playing silly after i stop the car. the ignition does seam to turn off. was working on the basis it might be ignation switch as i have seen people write up about that effecting the companion camera.

a ACM is really a re-branded Denson gateway 500 with custom firmware. all they do it connect via an extended fibre loop of the back of the CDC and take power from the worlds worst extension harness that plugs into the IHU in the passenger foot well. i agree the ACM should not cause the issue not unless there is an issue with the fibre extensions being damaged / breaking down. i used to have one in my old Volvo and it worked great for years but i do know if the fire poorly routed they can get damaged.

i did give all the pins that connect to the IHU a look when i removed the jumper harness i didn't see anything obviously wrong but i dint de-pin it to check it. can IHU's be swapped in from other cars E.g.g second hand units or do they need programming to the car?

Post #554240 17th May 2020 8:03pm
roverguy7

United States 

IHU can be swapped without issue.

Yeah, I couldn't remember if MSCAN went to the ACM or not, but with it's only network connection being fiber, it won't really be at fault. However, the ACM doesn't cope well with anything not working perfectly in the system, other modules tend to deal with these 'glitches' much better, which is why the audio system might not be fully shutting down with it removed from the loop, even though failure is still present.

I don't like all those LCM faults that are showing up now and weren't before, but LCM is I bus, and shouldn't present the kind of failure you're seeing.

From what I can see from all the way over here, it's looking like swapping the IHU might be the best option if you can find one cheap enough to take a chance with.

Post #554242 17th May 2020 8:13pm
the_ferret82

ok thank you for letting me know, ill have a hunt on ebay and see if i can find one going for a good price, and give it a shot and see what happens. do they have issues often?

as for the LCM issue coudl be be to to do witht he one of the headlight plugs i can recheck them all. im not sure what you mean by I bus if honest.

Post #554243 17th May 2020 8:18pm
the_ferret82

after a godo hunt of Fleebay i managed of find a part number matching IHU in workign condition or so the ad says for the sum total of £23.. will update here when it arrives and it fitted.

Post #554313 18th May 2020 12:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>