Home > Orders (L405) > Prospective New Owner - any advice
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Swiggy

United Kingdom 
Prospective New Owner - any advice

Hi All

Been snooping around the forum leaning much about the FFRR - very informative and helpful. Am thinking of trading in my Disco 5 HSE Lux which is approaching 3 years old for a new RR figuring there could be some good deals at the moment. Am thinking of a Vogue SE with the P400 3 litre petrol engine - does anyone have any experience e with this engine and it seems to be a similar performance to the 4.4 in terms of acceleration and economy, but without the diesel moniker - haven’t yet test driven one either. Also, is the Vogue SE worth the additional cost over a Vogue? Thanks for your help in advance, David

Post #555867 30th May 2020 7:59am
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Welcome.

THere's some very useful info in the wiki which is at the top right under where it says fullfatrr.com Thumbs Up

The search throws up quite a lot of results for the P400e

I can't recall anyone coming from a D5 - there are a few on here that have come from D4's - a selection of potentially interesting threads -

https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic48890.html
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic48645.html
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic53958.html
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic54571.html

The SE is basically a discounted options pack - so have a look through it & decide whether you want / need enough of them to justify the cost. I think it's the sweet spot - there's enough I want over a Vogue, but I can't justify all the toys on the AB. For me it's things like the 825w music over the 380w - for my wife it's the cooled seats, I can't remember the other bits.

Post #555875 30th May 2020 8:33am
adara

Romania 2019 Range Rover Vogue 2.0 PHEV Santorini Black

He wants a P400, not a P400e... 2019 Vogue P400e

Post #555888 30th May 2020 10:34am
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

A friend replaced his 4.4 SDV8 405 with a P400 Sport and was happy with it, it's obviously smaller and lighter than the 405 with that engine.

If you do much towing, especially heavy towing, then there is no substitute for the torque of the 4.4 SDV8.

On Vogue v SE, the base audio of the Vogue is not great, and I think the softer and more comfortable semi-aniline leather is only SE and AB, and it is not economical to choose a Vogue and add it as an extra. The thing to do is probably to use the configurator on the LR website and see what works best, and then have a test drive. I'm not sure how many dealers would have a P400 demo, they are still quite rare, though they could presumably get one from LR given time. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #555890 30th May 2020 11:34am
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

adara wrote:
He wants a P400, not a P400e...

Embarassed It was early - I hadn't woken up Laughing

Post #555896 30th May 2020 12:43pm
adara

Romania 2019 Range Rover Vogue 2.0 PHEV Santorini Black

We're 2 hours ahead... So I spotted it ;) 2019 Vogue P400e

Post #555920 30th May 2020 4:07pm
Swiggy

United Kingdom 

I’ve been offered £10.5k off a new factory order for September and a relatively decent trade in - spec is Portofino Blue with silver accents, HUD, tow pack, privacy glass and front fogs - will test drive a 3litre petrol (in a RRS as that’s all they can get in) and a RR to see whether we can fit in the dogs on Saturday before I confirm - any thoughts whether this is a good deal?

Post #556180 1st Jun 2020 7:21pm
AnotherMutley

United Kingdom 

I drove a P400 MHEV before I bought my 4.4 V8, as has been said, they're rarer than unicorn poop. Its a nice engine and compared to the V6 S/C it replaced is a lot quieter and more refined, given the current price of Petrol it might have been a good choice, but what really put me off was the fuel consumption, driving around town over a weekend it got around 17-18mpg.

Any reason why you wouldn't consider a V8 Diesel?

Post #556211 2nd Jun 2020 9:08am
diesel Dave

England 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Not sure how big your dogs are, but these two handy helpers loved the L322 and now the L405 too, boot is a little smaller I think due to the shape, but they fit in easy enough. Just have to watch nothing gets trapped when closing.

Post #556225 2nd Jun 2020 11:01am
Swiggy

United Kingdom 

Nice dogs, need to fit 2 large German Shorthaired Pointers in so similar size and will try at the dealers on Saturday! Re diesel vs petrol, I’ve had a succession of diesels and I believe that both government and public sentiment is increasingly against them, so that you can only expect ever more draconian rules on the use of diesel - given I intend to keep this car for at least 4 years, I’m thinking of future proofing! Additionally, your point on mpg around town was well placed, I don’t often go into town and most of the mileage in the car will be A roads and dual carriageway in Scotland. When I look at the mpg on a wltp cycle, the 4.4v8 has very similar average to the P400 MHEV, but I’d like to try the V8 at the weekend to compare before I commit. I can’t see any threads on the P400 MHEV on the site, so guess I’ll be a guinea pig if I commit to the petrol!

Post #556233 2nd Jun 2020 12:55pm
diesel Dave

England 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Good luck with your visit on Saturday, which ever one you choose I'm sure you'll love, they're all super to drive and travel in complete luxury. Thumbs Up

Post #556234 2nd Jun 2020 1:03pm
AnotherMutley

United Kingdom 

Its a smooth unit, not raucous like the old V6 3.0 S/C but you've got to go with what works for you. I went through a similar thought process around future proofing and the so called "demon diesel" but most of the demonisation of diesel is written by people that live in a parallel universe and don't understand that most Euro 6 diesels are clean and the alternatives like PHEV technology just doesn't work where I live as I couldn't charge it. Whatever you get, either a Sport or an FFRR, its a nice place to be. Apart from one little thing when compared to a D5, there's no DualView, if you don't use it, then this won't matter but I never understood why LR didn't put this in the RRS or FFRR when they revamped the interior on the later cars. If you're not doing big mileage, don't discount the 5.0 v8, now that's an engine. Thumbs Up

Post #556237 2nd Jun 2020 2:24pm
Swiggy

United Kingdom 

Thanks everyone for your advice, that’s really helpful. Will now be test driving a 3 litre petrol (albeit, the dealer could only provide a RRS with it in) and a V8 diesel to compare, will let you know the outcome. Here’s the dogs that I need to fit I:

Post #556260 2nd Jun 2020 7:29pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 1 of 1