Home > Technical (L322) > 3.6 TDV8 Oil Leak
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
TJH1985

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black
3.6 TDV8 Oil Leak

Hi All,

I’ve searched the forum, but 3.6 TDV8 oil leaks seem rare.

We have developed one on the passenger side, it seems to be coming from one of the injectors? Originally I thought rocker cover gasket but actually the oil is also sat on top of the cover and when I have removed the shield it was fairly saturated in oil towards the back where the sound deading has soaked it up.

So my question is - do these injectors pass through the rocker covers and if so what seals them? If not then where else could the oil be coming from?

If anyone has any experience of a similar issue it would be great to hear from you.

Car runs great, and the oil level on the dip stick isn’t dropping but that’s not a surprise given the volume.

It’s basically dropping small amounts on the drive - so needs to be sorted.

Thanks,

Tom

Post #505837 20th Feb 2019 6:46pm
Tom

United Kingdom 

If you mean fuel injector, you'd be passing carbon past a seal, not oil. Google Mercedes CDI black death for ideas when injector seals fail. Can you get any photos and do you have access to TOPIx?

Post #506109 23rd Feb 2019 1:03pm
TJH1985

Hi Tom,

This isn't carbon, its nice clean oil that could possibly be mistaken for diesel.

Topix mentions "An O-ring seals each injector to the manifold interface." so it could potentially be failed o-rings between the injectors and camshaft covers.

It would be great if anyone has removed the injectors or Inlet Manifold/Camshaft Cover and could shed some light on those o-rings I assume they are built into the Inlet Manifold/Camshaft Cover gasket?

Its been pretty busy here recently, and I'm beginning to feel sorry for the FFRR being sat on the drive and not being driven Embarassed

Cheers,

Tom

Post #508954 16th Mar 2019 10:07pm
TJH1985

Finally got some time to work on this, it’s had a new camshaft cover gasket and all is well Thumbs Up

The original one had started to go hard, and as such oil was getting past the up and out via the injector wells. This was then being soaked up in the covers foam, before eventually running down the side of the engine.

The new genuine LR part was actually a better design and night and day compared to the original.

It’s done around 500 miles since without any sign of oil, and has now been allowed back on the drive after weeks abandoned on the street Mr. Green

Post #514390 5th May 2019 6:27pm
TJH1985

Few months on and its still dry Thumbs Up

Post #523589 2nd Aug 2019 12:05pm
jasont3860

Australia 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver

Hi TJH1985

I appear to have the same problem with my 3.6 tdv8 and currently in the process of doing some research to replace the gasket.

Did you require any special tools to get the job done?
I would like to avoid getting balls deep only to find out I need a double crested 187* spanner

Thanks
Jason

Post #560860 10th Jul 2020 2:37am
TJH1985

Hi Jason,

Nothing special beyond the injector pullers and even then they came out so easy I think I could have done it without them!

It’s a easy job to be honest, just take your time and keep everything clean.

Good luck,

Tom Sold - Bell a 2015 MY16 Loire Blue Autobiography 4.4 SDV8
Previously George a 2007 MY07 Java Black VSE 3.6 TDV8
Previously a 04 MY04 Defender 90 Sad

Post #560865 10th Jul 2020 5:59am
mickd

2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Hi Tom, I'm guessing you sold your TDV8 for the next model in the line. Just following your thread as I seem to have the same issue with oil leakage around the base of injectors. Mine is mostly on drivers side. I'm curious whether you replaced the hard fuel lines (high pressure), as they say in the workshop manual to discard them.

Post #562736 26th Jul 2020 5:44pm
TJH1985

Yeah sadly/stupidly sold it, miss is allot!

No I didn’t replace them, the consensus of everyone I asked in the trade seemed to be that there wasn’t any need. My old man who has worked on huge marine engines his whole life also agreed and when we had them off they were inspected and the decision was taken not to replace them. We spent a fair bit of time checking them over the following months and also when reassembling that they were to the correct torque etc.

I did however do the injector seals, leak of pipe o rings and made sure we used genuine parts.

Have to draw the line somewhere otherwise it’s a rabbit hole of new parts!

Interesting to see this coming up a little more now, when it happened to us I couldn’t find another instance of it! Sold - Bell a 2015 MY16 Loire Blue Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Post #562738 26th Jul 2020 6:04pm
mickd

2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Thanks for replying.

I had heard that about reusing the lines, so it's good to hear another case where you were able to re-use. I would do much the same as you did, careful re-torquing and monitoring post re-install.

One other question, did you do both sides or just the LH?
I am looking to do both sides;
(1) I have some concern still about the RH side being so tight for space.
(2) I want to clean the carbon gunk from the intake which I know is fairly gunked up from when I cleaned the plastic air intake post intercooler. If I just did the RH bank I was thinking it could cause there to be an imbalance of air flow efficiency between the banks. Not sure if this matters in reality.
(3) Yes I plan on renewing the leak off pipe o-rings too

Post #562777 27th Jul 2020 3:33am
TJH1985

Depends on what’s LH/RH but we did the RH bank looking at the car and had to take the engine mount bolt out in order to jack it enough to remove the last injector. If I remember the LH looked like it needed the air conditioning lines splitting or something similar and as it was bone dry I though it better not to disturb and potentially cause other issues than dive in.

Some people split them, but for the sake of 5 minutes to remove the mount and jack the engine up a fraction it didn’t seem worth the risk.

Couldn’t say on cleaning up the gunk, actually ours was always pretty clean just a light coating off soot that could be wiped away with a finger - which was always a nice surprise given I’ve worked on friends that have been exactly like yours and seems to be the norm.

The thing that was the most time consuming was cleaning everything up, I like things to be just right so spend hours cleaning up everything Mr. Green Sold - Bell a 2015 MY16 Loire Blue Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Post #562779 27th Jul 2020 5:02am
Dublin_d

Ireland 

Hi do you have part number for injector seals

Post #584163 17th Feb 2021 2:29pm
Andy79

Hi ,
I have this same problem at the moment on the drivers side.
Is it a difficult job to replace the gasket ? Ive not done a lot of work on diesel engines.

By the way, it is Toms (TJH1985) old car . Not that it matters just thought id let him know its still going strong.

thanks,
Andy

Post #656642 14th Feb 2023 7:21pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

The hardest part is getting the rear injector out, the L/H side is the easier of the two due to better access to the engine mount. If you've not done one before, start early! Other than the gaskets, you'll need injector seals (Bosch part number F00VC17503 - about £12 for a bag of ten) and some brake cleaner and an injector port brush or similar for cleaning the injector ports. Ideally new injector bolts, you can re-use the clamps and HP pipes, the injectors should be put back in the same cylinders they came from. Be careful removing & refitting the injector leak-off line, it can get brittle and I'd suggest a new set of Viton seals - I don't have a part number and they're not available from LR but I think there's a Ford or PSA part available - oh, most important, don't drop the leak-off line clips when you take them out!.

I'd also suggest a swipe of 'general purpose' grease on the gasket, it softens the gasket slightly and helps it seal fully - especially if it's been in stock for some time.

ETA - there is a LR part number for the leak-off line 'O' rings, but they're a silly price! LR019118

Post #656652 14th Feb 2023 8:40pm
Andy79

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks for that. I will look into getting the parts together now. It started quiet a small leak but its getting quite bad now.

thanks,
Andy

Post #656668 14th Feb 2023 9:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>