Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > Fitting my Naviplus / air play unit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 13 <123 4 ... 111213>
Print this entire topic · 
Andy2986

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Barolo Black

Yup!
Mine is single screen.
Been using it for a few days now. Really is a terrific improvement. 2011 4.4 TDV8
2000 4.6 P38
1998 D1 300tdi

Post #562299 21st Jul 2020 10:38pm
TrevCOSS

United Kingdom 

I’m very tempted, do you have to pay any import tax

Post #562741 26th Jul 2020 7:22pm
Andy2986

Hi, There were no additional charges, delivery was very fast. 2011 4.4 TDV8
2000 4.6 P38
1998 D1 300tdi

Post #562840 27th Jul 2020 5:26pm
nearnshaw

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

Hi All - my first post on here but I have been using these forums for a while now, a great source of information as I've been doing lots of little jobs to my 2011 4.4 TDV8 - which TBH I've quite enjoyed!

Having read through this topic I've been convinced to take the plunge and have ordered the Naviplus unit from Australia with steering wheel controls and Wi-Fi options to fit my dual view head unit.

I'll get cracking with it once it arrives, lots of good tips on here that I'll follow (will def try to avoid removing the fuse box) - I'm happy to take some pictures as I go along if anyone wants to get a better view of any particular bit of the install, just let me know.

In the meantime, whilst I wait for it to arrive could anyone share any PDF's of the install guide so that I can review in advance?

Thanks Nick

Post #562962 29th Jul 2020 10:19am
Baltic Blue

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Baltic Blue

Nick,
I have got the full kit for my single view screen, but have not made any attempt to fit it.

If you PM me your email address I will send you two PDF’s.
One for the dash stripping out process and the second giving the fitting instructions.

Quite honestly I am worried sick about attempting it because it is pretty scary, so best of luck and keep this post updated with any helpful info.

Cheers
Mike. G reg 2.5VM Vogue Portofino red 1991- 1999
V reg 2.5td P38 Rioja red 1999- 2006
53 reg td6 Vogue Oslo blue 2006- 2015
11 reg 4.4 TdV8 Vogue SE. Baltic blue 2015- date.
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic56162...tty+affair

Post #562966 29th Jul 2020 10:39am
nearnshaw

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

Thanks Mike - will send you a PM. I'll try to photo and document as much as possible when I do it, if it works it appears to be a really good solution.

Post #562968 29th Jul 2020 10:44am
4434Morrison

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

Hi Mike,

I too have ordered the Naviplus kit.... Will no doubt be a massive improvement to the system.

Will send a PM re the installation instructions...

Many thanks..

John 2012 4.4 TDV8 Vogue SE Current
2015 E220 with AMG Sport Pack - Currently driven by my son
2010 3.6 TDV8 Vogue - Written off by my son

Post #562970 29th Jul 2020 10:52am
Baltic Blue

John,
I agree that it seems to be the update we have been wishing for, just hope the fitting becomes clearer.
I will send you the PDF’s no problem.
Cheers

Post #562973 29th Jul 2020 10:57am
Andy2986

Ive the instructions for both single and dual view, Ive found that reading both is helpful when installing, will gladly send both instructions via PM. I would post them on here but not quite sure if I can post a PDF.

If I can help any of you guys with the fitting please get in touch and I will send you my number.

Now ive done one its not that scary, I helped out a forum member last week and he is now cruising around quite happy with the system ( well he was when we last spoke !!!)

I personally found working out how all the trim comes off to start with the most daunting ( took a fair bit of googling to work out how to remove the side vents with their silly little clips inside the vent !!)

Andy 2011 4.4 TDV8
2000 4.6 P38
1998 D1 300tdi

Post #562977 29th Jul 2020 11:19am
Baltic Blue

Andy,
I have never managed to include PDF’s in topic posts, despite seeing that others seem to manage it OK, so not much hope for me managing the installation without help, but I am having to put off starting at the moment due to personal reasons.
But I will be in touch if or when I make a start.

Post #562978 29th Jul 2020 11:30am
shinchan

Spain 

Done! I want to thank Will (WB) for your kindness and support, also Steve from Naviplus.

Post #563763 6th Aug 2020 11:43am
Pas153

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Apologies for my belated reply to this thread, I’m the chap that WB mentioned in his recent post and I am indeed, running around with the system installed and working. It was painful at times, but well worth the effort - its a vast improvement.
To add to the tips that Andy, WB and others have already posted, I’ve a couple that might help.
If you don’t own one, buy a trim removal kit. Got mine from Amazon for about £18, obviously saves knacking the trim but also had a couple of little handy ones for the air vents.
Be really, really careful when removing the screen from the main unit. They’re connected with a couple of flat ribbon cables. I spent half a day removing the trim, getting to the main unit and installing the mods. It was Friday night and so I downed tools and went for a well deserved pint. I started again early Saturday morning and noticed that one of my mod connections was loose so I opened it up again to sort it out. I don’t know what happened next, but one of the aforementioned flat ribbon cables snapped, rendering my main unit completely broken.
After a little cry Big Cry And a message to WB, I pulled myself together and luckily found a head unit at a scrapyard about an hour from me. Time was of the essence as the RR was in pieces and we were heading to Northern Ireland in it the following Saturday.
I picked the unit up from the scrapyard on the Wednesday and began the install again. Tip 3. Do the main unit mods in a comfortable chair at a bench and take your time to make sure it doesn’t foul any existing components / screws etc. (And be careful of the existing ribbon cables that may snap!)
As mentioned by others, it’s a pain tapping into the cables behind the fuse board, I used some Wago terminal connectors which made it a bit easier.
(Did I mention to be careful with the existing ribbon cables?)
Once in and tested, it was pretty straightforward putting it all back together again and it has performed pretty much faultlessly since then. The only odd issue is that sometimes (rarely) the phone doesn’t connect to the WiFi hotspot. Going into the phone settings and manually selecting it sorts it though. I’m guessing that’s an iPhone thing.
One thing that would make it even better would be being able to set the voice button on the steering wheel so it activates Siri. As the LR system runs at the same time, the steering wheel control won’t set the voice button - it just activates the LR voice control, which, I’m sure you’ll agree, is rubbish!
Thanks to everyone who’s posted their tips and tricks, and a special thanks to WB who’s invaluable input and help got me over the line. Thumbs Up (It did make me laugh when he sent me a reply to a text using his fancy new system whilst my car was still in pieces! Laughing )
Did I mention to be careful with the existing ribbon cables?
Dave

Post #564152 10th Aug 2020 7:47pm
Markwood71

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Ipanema Sand

The more important elephant in the room is.......... who am i paying to fit mine and how much !! Laughing Laughing Laughing Welcome Rosie J - The Newer Kid on the Block
RIP Rosie (We all Love Rosie - especially in S mode at the traffic lights)

Post #564325 12th Aug 2020 3:42pm
Siftah

Spain 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Hello Smile

Brand new owner here, I registered a while back but this is my first post, picked my car up last week!

I'm definitely wanting to do this install, but curious as to the details on the soldering/modification to the head unit needed?

Are the installation PDF's available online anywhere? I'd love to get a look at them before purchasing.

Post #566530 7th Sep 2020 7:07pm
Siftah

Spain 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I bought the kit recently and it now doesn't require any soldering or splicing into the loom, you simply have bypass plugs Smile

I completed fitting it last weekend, so thought I'd share some thoughts. It took me about 12 hours in total, spread over 3 or 4 days to strip everything down, add the electronics and rebuild.

In the end, I'm extremely happy with it - the car looks completely standard and it works great, having the ability to play internet radio and use modern satnav solutions is awesome, plus, the ability to use Siri in the car and do things like "Hey Siri, play me the beatles" or "Hey Siri, set the heating to 21 degrees" to get the house warm before I get home is incredibly cool Smile

Tips:
1) Locating the two additional boxes is a bit difficult as there's surprisingly little space behind the dash, I ended up with them both in the lower part of the footwell, but I think I'd have been better putting them up near the airbag, behind the fusebox. I was a bit wary of adding additional electronics near to the airbag in case of interference, this was probably not necessary.
2) Before disconnecting the battery, open both the gloveboxes and tape over the catch, so they don't close!
3) Don't put all the bits of trim panel you remove into the boot, then disconnect the battery and have to crawl through the seat to retrieve it all... Smile
4) Some of the trim needs quite a tug to get it off, don't worry, it's pretty robust.
5) Try and get the wifi/bluetooth antenna away from large chunks of metal, it'll help with the signal if you use the wifi option.
6) The connectors on additional PCB's placed on the Nav screen need quite a push to get in place, make sure they're properly seated as I thought I'd connected mine properly, but actually hadn't - caused me to have to re-strip it Sad
7) The yellow plug for the airbag, always have it connected when you reconnect the battery, nothing else you remove will cause fault codes though, so don't worry about the air-vent connectors, headlight switch or the switch cables for the glove box etc.

Post #571397 31st Oct 2020 2:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 13 <123 4 ... 111213>