Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Wheels & Tyres > So whats wrong with Accelera tyres then in peoples view?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 6 of 8 <12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
RRover

2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Causeway Grey

Philip wrote:
Trying to judge tyre performance subjectively is a complete waste of time - “I fitted DingDong Ripsnorters, they’re great and I’ve never had a crash”. Like people saying, eg, AT3s are great in the wet, when the test numbers tell a very different story.

I had to look that up... Laughing

Post #595526 27th May 2021 3:56pm
RRover

cass wrote:
As a general rule I never buy the cheapest or most expensive anything. For the cost of a set of "top end" tyres I can get a set of perfectly acceptable "budget" winter tyres and summer tyres, nobody will ever convince me that the "best" summer tyres are as good in the winter as the "worst" winter tyres (and vice versa).
My point is that there are no "bad" tyres just loads of "wrong" tyres, seems simple to me fit the tyres that most suit the conditions that you expect regardless of cost, slow down when conditions aren't what you expect and accept that unless you're called Lewis Hamilton you are nowhere near as skillful a driver as you think you are.

Sound about right.
I hear L Hamilton is starting to wear his knees out... Thumbs Up

Post #595527 27th May 2021 3:57pm
chris_read

England 2009 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

RRover - your ‘bat flu’ comments are becoming somewhat tiresome.
This is a thread about tyres and nothing to do with your apparent obsession with conspiracy theories. If you aren’t able to follow the topic without peddling your nonsense, perhaps you should post elsewhere.
And yes, I have known people who have died as a result of COVID and find your comments both offensive and deliberately provocative. 2017 Jaguar F Pace 25t Portfolio - still part of the JLR family 😀
2009 3.6 V8 (MY2010) - my first ever diesel! - now also gone Sad
2004 4.4 V8 Petrol Vogue - now gone

Post #595555 27th May 2021 7:29pm
LT

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

Not relevant to Range Rovers, but see how budget tyres fair against more expensive brands in the 2021 Auto Bild 19 inch Summer Tyre Test:
https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2021-A...e-Test.htm

Thumbs Up

Post #595564 27th May 2021 8:26pm
TeeMyob

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Zermatt Silver

If you shop around, you can get some really good deals on premium tyres on Ebay.

These were offered to me at £107 each, Recent DOT too if I recall

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223280283971?ul_noapp=true

Post #595567 27th May 2021 8:33pm
dexion7

2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Alaska White

LT wrote:
Not relevant to Range Rovers, but see how budget tyres fair against more expensive brands in the 2021 Auto Bild 19 inch Summer Tyre Test:

Thumbs Up

its just another load of bolllocks sponsored by the well known and grossly-inflated-hi cost manufactures. Rolling Eyes

the requirements to stop quickly in the dry and stop quickly in the wet, place almost diametrically opposed requirements on the tyre design. apart from the balance the manufacturer strikes for that consideration the differences between tyres and brands are tiny. Tyres are a commodity.

if anyone has any evidence to show otherwise (apart from silly reviews), please post it up.

Ur20v – could you tell us how you determined that “ the common tyres that ‘work’ are Michelin, Goodyear, Continental, Pirelli as ‘first tier’ then Falken, Bridgestone and Toyo then the rest follow”
Whatever you mean by the term “first tier” is uncertain but you seem to have grouped the most expensive brands there? 2010 VSE [Roger]

Post #595582 27th May 2021 10:38pm
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Seriously? That’s an objective, figured test and it’s pretty obvious where the cheapo stuff ranks in terms of performance. Different requirements obviously mean different compromises, but I’m not sure how that’s relevant in a comparison of tyres all designed to do the same thing.

Post #595584 27th May 2021 10:47pm
dexion7

2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Alaska White

objective? - what car are the tyres tested on? will the results be the same for another car type? how wet is the road? what types of tarmac? etc etc et c

there are dozens of less expensive brands which are not mentioned (so obv not tested) so how can you seriously conclude that whatever tyres are rated highest for any given category are better than other cheaper brands not in the list - its a bit silly. 2010 VSE [Roger]

Post #595585 27th May 2021 11:28pm
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

So it must be complete coincidence that the Pilot Sport 4 has cleaned up in most recent high-performance summer tire tests, then. Or maybe Michelin just bribe better? Either way, I’m sure you’ll be just fine on your Umbongos.

Post #595588 28th May 2021 12:45am
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Wow - it continues to amaze me the length some people go to to defend crap tyres Shocked

Why bother with a FFRR ? Surely cars are just a commodity.

A full back to back test of all tyres on all cars is clearly impossible. However, there are tyres that perform consistently well and others that perform consistently badly and many others in between. I've taken the time to read and watch many reviews and it is always the 'premium' brands that come out top and always the cheaper ones that prefer worse. Sure, the middle of the field can be mixed and no one tyre usually sweeps the board & performs best in every condition, but the themes are consistent.

I run different summer & winter tyres - the difference is very noticeable No amateur pundit can ever really know - as you just can't perform an objective back to back test in identical conditions - but try watching some of the Tyre Reviews videos on You Tube to see the lengths they go to.

Most tyres are fine 90%+ of the time - the difference is very much art the margins - but you only need that 10m reduction in braking distance once and if can be the difference between life & death.....

Post #595598 28th May 2021 7:37am
RRover

chris_read wrote:
RRover - your ‘bat flu’ comments are becoming somewhat tiresome.
This is a thread about tyres and nothing to do with your apparent obsession with conspiracy theories. If you aren’t able to follow the topic without peddling your nonsense, perhaps you should post elsewhere.
And yes, I have known people who have died as a result of COVID and find your comments both offensive and deliberately provocative.

Apologies if the BF comment triggered you CR... But my initial BF additive as a comparison to some of the comments here that 'budget tyre users' are more or less a danger to other road users I feel fits the narrative quite well. I think when 'peeps' are pointing finger's at budget tyre users and saying 'you may well be causing accidents and indeed death on the roads' someone has to take a stand... This in my opinion is either virtue-signalling or pricey (tyre) manufacturers having pushers of their products, whether funded or not. That's all.
And don't get me on the Covid thing please - as I prefer to be in the know about such things, have contacts and eyes in many places, including within the health service, and know of a whole 'other' reality that is taking place before OUR very eyes. Simply put the MSM do not rule my life... And do check on global yearly mortality rates as per country over the past 20 years - and also the findings and data of the MHRA - and you might get a shock. We don't all want to be living in a version of China or N Korea...
I still say many higher priced budget tyres are OK and safe to use. And no I'm not a pricey tyre snob...
Are things nonsense in your eyes only - isn't that simply trying to remove freedom of speech?

Post #595599 28th May 2021 7:48am
RRover

TeeMyob wrote:

If you shop around, you can get some really good deals on premium tyres on Ebay.

These were offered to me at £107 each, Recent DOT too if I recall

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223280283971?ul_noapp=true

Looks like a nice tyre - like the tread pattern...

Post #595600 28th May 2021 7:55am
RRover

[quote="dexion7"]

LT wrote:

Thumbs Up

its just another load of bolllocks sponsored by the well known and grossly-inflated-hi cost manufactures. Rolling Eyes

the requirements to stop quickly in the dry and stop quickly in the wet, place almost diametrically opposed requirements on the tyre design. apart from the balance the manufacturer strikes for that consideration the differences between tyres and brands are tiny. Tyres are a commodity.

if anyone has any evidence to show otherwise (apart from silly reviews), please post it up.

Ur20v – could you tell us how you determined that “ the common tyres that ‘work’ are Michelin, Goodyear, Continental, Pirelli as ‘first tier’ then Falken, Bridgestone and Toyo then the rest follow”
Whatever you mean by the term “first tier” is uncertain but you seem to have grouped the most expensive brands there?

Couldn't have put it better myself. I recall having REALLY expensive Continental tyres all-round on my XK8 some years back now and god were they noisy, and stiff, and seemed even to overide the PS: Falkens put it right - drove like a dream after the change. Can't stand noisy tyres. Almost as energy draining as having/owning a noisy Alpha R... But of course only in my opinion - and I'm not funded.

Post #595601 28th May 2021 8:06am
RRover

Philip wrote:
Seriously? That’s an objective, figured test and it’s pretty obvious where the cheapo stuff ranks in terms of performance. Different requirements obviously mean different compromises, but I’m not sure how that’s relevant in a comparison of tyres all designed to do the same thing.

I guess we can use these ads as a sort of loose guide - but 99% of ads are sponsored and with a funded bias. I wonder if some of these ads are promoted by Dominion?!? Laughing There is some promoting going on in that ad - clear to see. Again, a guide, but not truly an objective, figured test: I mean: how do you know?
Every bit helps though... to give us a more rounded overview and hopefully some tried and tested opinion.

Post #595603 28th May 2021 8:13am
RRover

Philip wrote:
So it must be complete coincidence that the Pilot Sport 4 has cleaned up in most recent high-performance summer tire tests, then. Or maybe Michelin just bribe better? Either way, I’m sure you’ll be just fine on your Umbongos.

Is that another brand I've got to go looksee: Laughing

Post #595604 28th May 2021 8:14am
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 6 of 8 <12345678>