Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > I'm now a Regeneration trainee nerd--lol
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 23 123 ... 212223>
Print this entire topic · 
Kot

United Kingdom 
I'm now a Regeneration trainee nerd--lol

So being a retired Engineer, I couldn't let it rest.
It annoyed me that I had no control of oil dilution and no idea when the car was in Active Regen, I needed a cheap fix (cheaper than the preferred GAP tool lol)

Did a lot of reading and research on the forum and of course google (The Ipace guys are pretty switched on), and so with an old iPhone 6, downloaded the car scanner app (free version works good) for life its about £6. It has a Dashboard which my Autel AP200 app doesn't have.

Also bought a cheap OBD2 reader from fleabay that would work with the app(VGATE ICAR PRO WiFi ELM327 EOBD OBD2 Car Diagnostic Scan Tool iPhone Android UK)

Today I set it up and off for a run, Trigger was showing 54% so wasn't expecting a Regen it sat at 0, once all warmed up turned onto a quite 60mph limit road and put my foot down to bring in 2nd turbo and bingo -- Trigger went straight to 100% and Regen Status went straight to 2 and Bank 3 & 4 Exh temps started climbing. The missus took a few pics which are attached, but missed the 1st shot at the start where the Trigger was at 54%.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

It was all over in 15 to 20 mins at 50mph the Trigger dropped to 10% and over the last 5 mins the Trigger reached 7% and Regen went immediately from 2 to 0 at that point. Exhaust temps returned to normal--job done.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I need to monitor this and especially the Trigger value, also need to see if it shows me a Passive Regen 0 to 1

It was a quick set up and I need to see if there is a PID for soot etc but that will be for another day. There is not a huge difference in mpg maybe 1.5 to 2 mpg less during Regen. I couldn't really tell that the car was in active regen without this app etc and can understand its so easy to finish your journey with another failed regen--- why JLR, for the sake of another lite on the dash! 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #606062 9th Sep 2021 10:43pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Great bit of investigation there Kot… FYI the IID wouldn’t support your year of RR, so would be a waste of time and money… For the sakes of others reading this thread in the future, the IID doesn’t support JLR Pathfinder models 2017+ (at least not as yet!)

Post #606070 10th Sep 2021 9:36am
Kot

United Kingdom 

So day 2 was all about trying to see if I could reach Passive Regeneration on the device (0 to 1) after yesterdays success with an Active Regeneration (0 to 2).

Well at start, the trigger was 12% after 30mins, at 50 mph still showing 0 on DPF status, when I accelerated up to around 56mph status changed to 1 for around 3 secs, then back to zero. Up to 70mph still showing 0, when accelerating past 70mph status changed to 1 for a sec then back to zero????

I would expect to see condition 1 on continuously when all parameters are met (what ever they are lol), yes tank half full!
Or is it, that the system just needs say, every 10mins a pulse signal from DPF status 1, to satisfy the Passive part of the algorithm ?---- Wishful thinking Laughing

The trigger continued to climb slowly, and I have serious doubts passive regen is actually effecting the algorithm. I understand that passive regen is actually happening, and at a lower temperature, and that any change would be a lot slower, but surely after an hour and above 60mph its enough to stop the trigger rising and even a % point or two reduction?

So Passive Regen is happening, but software wise, its not aware its happening as DPF status 1 is not holding on!

So ended the day with a Trigger value of 24% after 60 odd miles, mostly between 50-70ish Whistle Thats an increase of 12% on the start of the day

So plan now is to load up another app and compare the results, even though I have a gut feeling it could well be a car software issue. Or am I asking too much? Is this normal.
As anyone registered a continuous Passive regen (1) ? what were your experiences?

I have a boring video of the event where it went from 0 to 1 for several seconds, but not able to upload Whistle

I guess I knew what I was letting myself infor when I opened the tin Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #606114 10th Sep 2021 8:06pm
Kot

United Kingdom 

150+ miles later, I experienced the 2nd Active Regen.
I had previously changed the settings to add RPM to the Dashboard, and also alarm's when Regen status changes to 1 (Passive) or 2 (Active). Settings were adjusted for 1.0 to be blue and whistle sound, 2.0 to be Red and buzzer it works great and takes you by surprise when it activates lol

I had been previously using gentle acceleration for the past few days as I wanted to see how high the Trigger point would be, I didn't want to activate the trigger by harsh acceleration (like the initial event 54%).

This 2nd event occurred between 40-50mph (not quite sure exact mph, screenshot shows 40mph but I may have slowed a little before missus grabbed the screenshot) with 73% Trigger point, approx 150 miles had been registered since the last event.

Again without this setup, I would not have known I was having an Active Regen event, and it would have been another unknown fuel dilution event, if I hadn't kept going to complete the process.

RPM was only 1260rpm when trigger happened drove approx 9 miles 40-52mph + 1250-1300 rpm and Regen was completed. No need for high revs, but need to test this if Regen time and distance is reduced by having higher revs etc. But I doubt it.

Oil temp was 81C and climbing, so looks like Engine minimum temperature for Regen is around that point, I deliberately did not use high revs so to see what the eventual Trigger point would be.

Click image to enlarge

Then at the end of Regen the Trigger was at 7% it went into passive 1.0 for a few minutes then to Zero, job done. Still dont understand how the algorithm deals with a 1.0 and why I never see it on the long runs (is this normal?). The exhaust temps were well into the 500C+

Click image to enlarge

After 1 minute or so it went from Passive 1.0 to Zero, and exhaust temps started to drop rapidly to normal.
Click image to enlarge

2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #606678 17th Sep 2021 2:56pm
SCL

England 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Causeway Grey

Hi Kot

I found your research and findings write up very informative. Most of my journeys are short at the moment so was interested in trying to replicate your set up. I downloaded the Car Scanner app and purchased an OBD2 reader. I can’t find some of the 7 items showing in the final image of your dashboard app. Have you renamed some of the original headings to Trigger, Oil and Regen (if so what were the original headings) or do I need to upgrade to the £6 for life to have these headings?

Many thanks.

Steve You can't swim uphill in custard all the time, sometimes you just have to go with the flow.

Post #610337 25th Oct 2021 5:53pm
Kot

United Kingdom 

Hi SCL

I think with the free version you only get a few restricted PID's, Its better to upgrade, its only a one off £6 for the pro for life and you can use it on multiple car manufactures.

Trigger % has been changed to Soot % by developer recently, since my first post's (see item 1 on dashboard editor below) developer is continually updating the app which is rare these days. And you are able email him with request's etc if you need different PID's not shown on the app.
You can also custom change the name of any PID which is useful which allows your screen to look better. I have made custom changes.
Below is the dashboard editor where you can add or make changes to PID's

Click image to enlarge

Noticed so far for me---For Active Regen to start, you need minimum 1/4 tank of fuel and above, and speed above 40mph, Soot/Trigger levels about 54% but have gone as high as 73% on 1 occasion, but that was early on in the test's and could have been the result of failed previous Regens before I started using this app.

--Passive Regens only occur when Exhaust temps are 250+C I find that's around 59mph mark.

You are able to record and view data from dashboard (Data Recording) in graphical format on any PID on all your trips which is interesting either all on 1 graph or separate (A "James May" moment) Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

below are the graphs from this mornings return trip just 5 miles.

Click image to enlarge

Above showing passive regen Exhaust above 250C

Click image to enlarge

Above showing Trigger/soot dropping as passive regen occurring

Click image to enlarge

Above is combined graph

Since I have started using this app, I have caught every Active Regen where otherwise I would have missed 90% of them, OK its meant I have travelled a few extra miles to allow the AR to complete but believe its worthwhile for me.
I have noticed on the LR Remote app that my miles to next service have stopped dropping like a stone and is now gradually increasing, which obviously means my fuel dilution problems are now controllable. Thumbs Up 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #610416 26th Oct 2021 1:57pm
Baltic Blue

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Baltic Blue

If it helps you at all ???
By comparison my 4.4 TdV8 L322 averages an increase in oil dilution factor of 0.24 per full active regen.

By my rough calculations, given that the recommended limit is 7, that equates to 28 regens per oil service,
At approx average of 275miles per regen (mixed driving including 1 50+mile trip).
275 x 28 = 7,700 miles between oil changes.

I never let my oil dilution factor get anywhere near 7 because I have opted to do 6 monthly oil changes to keep it clean.

Mike. (Another retired engineer Rolling with laughter )

Based on 100+ screenshots similar to this

Click image to enlarge
 G reg 2.5VM Vogue Portofino red 1991- 1999
V reg 2.5td P38 Rioja red 1999- 2006
53 reg td6 Vogue Oslo blue 2006- 2015
11 reg 4.4 TdV8 Vogue SE. Baltic blue 2015- date.
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic56162...tty+affair

Post #610427 26th Oct 2021 2:39pm
ajac8

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Baltic Blue

Lost me there chaps.

I'm a surveyor not an engineer - I like mine cuz its Blue. Laughing 405 AB exec seats Baltic and Cirrus
93 RR Classic efi

Remember it's easier to get forgiveness than permission!

Gone in order:
4.4 TDV8 SE - gone to a good home
93 Classic hard dash Plymouth Blue
03 L322 Oslo Blue
2000 Disco TD5 ES Epsom Green
98 P38 Rioja Red
89 Classic Cairngorm Brown

Post #610439 26th Oct 2021 4:44pm
Baltic Blue

It’s not just blue Adrian, it’s BALTIC, …the best Rolling with laughter I am very jealous really.
Mike. G reg 2.5VM Vogue Portofino red 1991- 1999

Post #610443 26th Oct 2021 4:59pm
SCL

Bow down Bow down Bow down Kot

Many thanks for your reply. Just upgraded to the £6 for life. Now going to have a play and adjust the dashboard. My LR app says service due in 5000 miles but I have only done 3000 since it was serviced in January so I am hoping mine will also begin to increase like yours.

Steve You can't swim uphill in custard all the time, sometimes you just have to go with the flow.

Post #610458 26th Oct 2021 6:45pm
Kot

United Kingdom 

Baltic Blue wrote:
If it helps you at all ???
By comparison my 4.4 TdV8 L322 averages an increase in oil dilution factor of 0.24 per full active regen.

By my rough calculations, given that the recommended limit is 7, that equates to 28 regens per oil service,
At approx average of 275miles per regen (mixed driving including 1 50+mile trip).
275 x 28 = 7,700 miles between oil changes.

I never let my oil dilution factor get anywhere near 7 because I have opted to do 6 monthly oil changes to keep it clean.

Mike. (Another retired engineer Rolling with laughter )

Based on 100+ screenshots similar to this

Click image to enlarge

Thanks for your info interesting stuff, totally agree in frequent oil changes.
Dont agree with your opinion on colour though Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Byron Blue is just sheer class!!!

Just 1 question--- what is the dilution rate per missed regen? 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #610465 26th Oct 2021 7:46pm
Baltic Blue

Kot
Let’s just agree, all blue fatty’s are nice. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

I have never given any thought to the dilution caused by incomplete regens, or passive regens, but I have always thought that the amount of dilution that occurs between successfully completed regens includes any failed or passive regens because the total after each event is cumulative.

Post #610470 26th Oct 2021 8:41pm
SCL

Hi Kot

Just sent you a PM.

Post #610946 29th Oct 2021 4:08pm
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

All interesting stuff this, my car has been pleading for a service for a month now probably due to the amount of very short trips I do (EV next time) so I assume oil dilution. That sounds bad but its in for a service and MOT next week (12 months) would it be wise to change the oil at 6 month intervals? I assume it'll last 'till next Wednesday Very Happy Geoff

Post #610948 29th Oct 2021 4:12pm
Baltic Blue

Geoff ,
Ask the garage to measure the oil dilution factor before they drain it, then it’s easy to calculate the dilution rate over your distance travelled between services. (Assuming you haven’t got a Gap iid to measure it yourself ).

Get the dilution factor and the mileage since last oil change.. I will do the sums for you if you get the two numbers.

Post #610951 29th Oct 2021 4:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 23 123 ... 212223>