Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > I'm now a Regeneration trainee nerd--lol
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 22 <123 ... 202122>
Print this entire topic · 
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

Thanks Mike,

I've got a GAP tool somewhere I don't have a lot of use for it on my 405 used it lots on my 322. I'll dig it out.

Thanks again Geoff

Post #610969 29th Oct 2021 5:03pm
Kot

United Kingdom 

Its wise to change the oil every 6 months especially doing short trips, especially when you dont know how many failed regenerations you have had.

An interesting JLR letter think its been circulating on here before.

https://www.fullfatrr.com/gallery/albums/u...lained.pdf 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #610978 29th Oct 2021 6:08pm
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

So now I need to get the book out and see what oil I need (for next May not next Wednesday) Rolling with laughter Geoff

Post #610993 29th Oct 2021 7:11pm
James W

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Siberian Silver

Fantastic investigation Bow down I wish LR could have just put a bong message up "DPF Regen in Progress, keep driving if possible" ... although for most drivers I guess they'd panic and call the AA Rolling Eyes

My question is (sorry if I've missed it in the detail) - Once an active regen starts, how long roughly does it take to complete? minutes? tens of minutes? FFRR SDV8 Autobiography

Post #623738 15th Feb 2022 8:52am
Kot

United Kingdom 

Time? It depends on the amount of soot when the active regen takes place.
For me I now see the soot % trigger usually at 53% and that usually takes just about 9 to 10mins. Higher soot level obviously will take a few minutes more.

Since this thread started I have never missed an active regeneration and gone the extra miles to complete it.

But still collecting data lol and so far cant really say that its made much difference to the dilution rate its still just as high.

Also as a matter of interest I have had AR when fuel was below 1/4 tank. 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #623747 15th Feb 2022 10:19am
James W

That's maybe longer than I'd expected.

Very interesting - thanks Thumbs Up FFRR SDV8 Autobiography

Post #623766 15th Feb 2022 12:17pm
Kot

United Kingdom 

Maybe I need to think of doing a video Rolling with laughter
Seriously though, it might be of some interest. 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #623768 15th Feb 2022 12:23pm
James W

A great project for someone clever enough would be a simple OBD2 gadget that could be plugged in, left in, and gave a bleep when a regen was happening. Then a longer bleep/different bleep when completed. It could then just be left out of sight but at least you'd be informed about how often it's happening and be able to avoid ending it early FFRR SDV8 Autobiography

Post #623784 15th Feb 2022 2:20pm
Gremlin500

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

@Kot, how about an update on your investigation and perhaps a walk-through, please?

I have the necessary hardware & software now, but unsure which parameters I need to load up into the Dashboard, or how to set alarms or different colour text etc to warn of impending/ completed regens etc. An “ idiots guide” would be nice!

Bow down Bow down Bow down

I’m sure this would be greatly appreciated by the brethren here on fullfatrr.com Mr. Green Thumbs Up “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #631461 12th May 2022 9:42pm
Kot

United Kingdom 

Gremlin OK Censored watch this space Rolling with laughter maybe get time over the weekend Rolling with laughter 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #631462 12th May 2022 9:54pm
Gremlin500

Thumbs Up Bow down Bow down Bow down “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #631470 13th May 2022 6:47am
kokamagi

Estonia 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

James W wrote:
A great project for someone clever enough would be a simple OBD2 gadget that could be plugged in, left in, and gave a bleep when a regen was happening. Then a longer bleep/different bleep when completed. It could then just be left out of sight but at least you'd be informed about how often it's happening and be able to avoid ending it early

No such thing needed for L322 4.4 TDV8, because if you have the trip computer showing instant fuel consumption, you'll notice it right away. As I too have kept an eye on everything since I bought the IIDTool 2 years ago, I have a pretty clear picture of how things work and interact in this car.
So if driving on the same road with the same constant speed of 96km/h (60mph) and same conditions the instant consumption without regen process reads about 7.5l/100km(38mpg) while with regen in progress it reads about 11.5l/100km(25mpg), which is a remarkable increase(over 50%) in fuel consumption.

Regen cycle takes about 20 minutes.

Passive regen takes place practically always at road speeds (96km/h in Estonia). While observing soot mass on road, it usually decreases slowly.

Since I do mostly short trips in town (a couple of miles/minutes at a time) with the engine never getting to normal operating temperature, I also keep an eye on the oil dilution factor. It never gets near 7 before I change the oil. Nor have I ever seen even an amber DPF light come up. This makes me always think that "4.4 TDV8 is not a town car." -talk is a myth from people who have something wrong with their fatty.
About 80% of my driving is short trips in town.

I change the oil every 200 engine working hours on my TDV8, which is recommended by many engineers for DPF vehicles. Because if there is a lot of city driving and idling, it can add up to just a few thousand kilometers. While only driving on the motorway, this 200h can add up to 15-20,000 km. So I don't understand why, to this day (urbanization, increasing car numbers, traffic jams, etc.), distance is used as a measure of maintenance intervals rather than engine working time. I use a diagnostic device to monitor this, but it is very easy for a car manufacturer to add an engine working hours reading to the trip computer, as is the case with motorcycles and heavy machinery for example.

Post #631741 15th May 2022 3:51pm
Gremlin500

@Kot: Thanks for your offer,

I may have saved you a job, there’s a very useful video on YouTube:

I hadn’t realised that the Dashboard profile you save in “Demo” mode is automatically saved for the “real” car connection.
This means you can harmlessly fiddle about to your hearts content in demo mode in the house, double-clicking on the various parameters and getting it looking how you want, (mainly LARGER TEXT for most of us chaps on here I dare say Rolling with laughter )

The various visual and audible alarms are quite easy to work out, although the range of sounds is a bit limited.

Time to go & play with it for a few weeks now, I must say this seems very in-depth and fantastic value at under £35 all in, I also got a non-marking “Sticky pad” from eBay to protect my piano black drink holder cover Thumbs Up “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #631946 17th May 2022 10:29am
Kot

United Kingdom 

Gremlin Bow down Great video, I wish i had that when I started, cant believe I missed that.
there are a few tips there that I didn't know you could do Rolling with laughter
It certainly shows how to set it up better than I could write it up Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Looking forward on how you get on, interesting what your %soot is when it does a normal active regeneration. 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #631995 17th May 2022 2:45pm
MarkA

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Causeway Grey

On car scanner, which car profile are you connecting with?

Post #632326 20th May 2022 11:25am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 22 <123 ... 202122>