Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Tow Bar Help! TDV8 2011
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
CMC15

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black
Tow Bar Help! TDV8 2011

Chaps, I'm looking to fit a tow bar with 13-pin electrics to the RR. Currently nothing installed so will require full armature etc.

Can anyone advise a place in the NW (I'm based on the Wirral) that can supply the full kit and electronics?

All the local places want crazy money to supply and fit.

I did look at PF Jones' website but couldn't see a full kit?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Post #630542 3rd May 2022 3:46pm
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue

I believe the armature is no longer available brand new so you'd need to look at second hand if you wanted the genuine Land Rover kit. There's usually a few on eBay at any given time.

Wiring looms are available from LR and are plug and play.

David. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2007 Range Rover Supercharged in Java Black with Ivory Leather
2012 Range Rover 5.0 SC Autobiography in Indus Silver with Jet/Ivory Interior
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #630546 3rd May 2022 4:38pm
Tinman

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Silicon Silver

Don`t forget to tell the car you have a 13 pin electrics otherwise the reverse beeper will not turn off when you select reverse when towing.

Post #630551 3rd May 2022 5:11pm
Happydaze

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Java Black

Might widen your options by going with the 2 7 pin sockets on the car and getting one of the adapters that wire the 2 x 7's into the 13. I'm guessing you have a 13 pin caravan.

When I did mine the used electrics were plug and play. Our caravan is 7 pin but my wife's horse trailer is 13 pin which plugs into the 7 with a simple adapter. The horses beer fridge doesn't work on 12v though!!

Chris (also from Wirral)

Post #630604 4th May 2022 10:30am
garyRR

United Kingdom 

The Westfalia amartures are SUPER expensive (£300+ just for the attachment and not the towbar assembly or wiring).

I fitted a towbar with 13 pin electrics to my 2011 car late last year.

I bought the Tow Trust towbar with the vehicle specific plug and play multiplug electrics and Al-Ko towball and bumper guard. The whole kit cost me £250 from Towbars-UK (the detachable is also available). That was everything for that price - Tow bar, amarture, tow ball, bumper guard, vehicle specific electrics and delivery.

I looked into the Westfalia towbar but even 2nd hand, they're super expensive and to be honest, i'd want to fit all new fixings to it anyway, which means even more money. What I liked is that the Tow Trust towbar is super discreet and is available as both a fixed and detachable (but the fixed is only 2 bolts to remove).

Certainly one you should consider I think - there's a fair amount of space between the arm and my bumper so, it would definitely also fit an AB bumper without any cut required.

Fitting a towbar to these things isn't for the faint hearted though! It is a BIG job regardless which one you buy. And those existing Wesfalia struts are a red herring! The whole lot has to be removed regardless which towbar you buy.

I like to detach the arm and towball in the winter months when I'm not boating ‐ there was a really nifty place to install the electrics on the underbody, so the socket is out of sight and allows the arm to be removed.

2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Post #630661 4th May 2022 11:23pm
bigbo

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

I purchased a second-hand Westfalia tow bar and fitted my self, not a difficult job, a little heavy but easily doable.

See https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic55392-30.html

The only extra item I needed was a control module but that was just £14 off eBay so all in less than £350.

The worst part was wire brushing and painting everything, in hindsight I should have had it all blasted and powder coated.

David Range Rover 4.2 Supercharged 2006
Ford Focus EcoBoost 1.5 2017
MG TF 2003

Previous Cars of note
Land Rover Discovery 2
Jaguar Mk2 3.8 - Company car
MG Midget 1974 - Concours

Post #630663 4th May 2022 11:53pm
Davidmudley

United Kingdom 

I did the same as Bigbo and found it an easy approach, the sand blasting and painting (£125) was well worth it as the armature and fittings looked like new.

A pretty simple DIY job to do, though as has been said it’s a hefty lump of metal so two sets of hands certainly makes it easier (that said I did it on my own with the use of a trolley Jack to lift and support the armature).

I can’t comment on other systems (I’m sure there are lots), but for me in the end it came down to wanting to keep OE kit on the car. Current: Range Rover L322 4.4tdv8, Porsche 911 (996) Carrera 2, BMW 535d Touring, Skoda Fabia, BMW S1000XR

Post #630669 5th May 2022 7:38am
garyRR

United Kingdom 

All Tow bars have to be type approved so, it baffles me why anyone would buy a 2nd hand Westfalia bar needing new fixings, shot blasting and powder coating at great expense, over just buying a brand new type approved bar.

Each to their own however. 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Post #630685 5th May 2022 10:54am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1