Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > 4.4 TDV8 no start no crank
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 10 of 12 <123 ... 9 101112>
Print this entire topic · 
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

It could also easily be some ancillary component struggling to turn with all the oil contamination on the belt. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #632389 20th May 2022 9:07pm
cass

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Causeway Grey

dhallworth wrote:
That engine really doesn't sound healthy.

Without being a massive pessimist, I think you're wasting your time throwing parts, time, fuses, etc. at it.

Listening to it and looking at the state of that oil filter tells me that there are internal issues in that engine and it's going to require stripping and rebuilding.

Is there any service history with it? Do you know when the oil was last changed? (If it ever was!?)

David.

Unfortunately I think this could be the best advice that you might get about this car, I suspect that the chances of making a viable car from this to be very low. There are so many red flags, that engine sounds very ill and even if you did get it running I can't imagine that the turbos are going to be any use looking at the state of the oil filter. The neglect needed to get the oil and filter into that state is simply staggering so it's doubtfull that any other maintenance has ever been done. This one looks like a classic money pit.
Sorry to sound so negative about it but it is so easy to keep going once you've started spending it can be difficult to give up

Post #632460 21st May 2022 5:06pm
kevinp

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

quote' some of the above comments about wasting time etc... are not helping'
Thing is Jonny you've said yourself that it might have a bore seize and to repair that IS going to cost thousands!

Post #632469 21st May 2022 6:25pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

KevinP, you need to know what problem you have, before you go ahead and take the engine out! we can all say things, and every bit of advice is good advice, ir in case something has been overlooked. the thread starter bought the car, so he's 'in it' now, and is looking for advice, not guesses on cost. we are all guessing the problem... with the few facts and videos available. he's further down the road than when he got it, but im sure a compression test is what he needs now. thats not going to cost a fortune.

Post #632474 21st May 2022 7:09pm
PeterRRVogue

United Kingdom 

Hi guys, sorry for not posting here for a while. Been busy with work and a bunch of house projects, while also thinking and researching my options re the RR. So I wanted to let you know that I have come to a conclusion (which I kind of knew right from the beginning, just hoped to be wrong) that this is going to be an engine-out job. I appreciate all the suggestions and comments that all of you guys offered and I took them all on board. The more I was thinking about it, the clearer it was becoming that I'm either gonna have to cut my losses and sell the car or I'm gonna have to spend a lot of money/time to get it fixed. Me being me, I decided to go down the engine-out path and recondition it myself (excl. the machining work of course) Smile It might turn out to be a big mistake, but the challenge kind of excites me and at least I'm gonna learn a lot in the process. Also, I thought that since there seems to be no comprehensive write up or video content (that I could find at least) on how to do a complete rebuild of the 4.4 TDv8, I might use this as an opportunity to pay back to the car community for all the knowledge I have benefited from over the years (on my other cars and bikes) and hopefully make a content that someone might find helpful in the future. I'm going to start with taking the engine out this upcoming weekend so I will keep you posted on my journey. I will try to video record the whole thing in detail so I can share it with you guys and provide some useful or comedic (depending on the extent of my failures) value in the process. Wish me luck Wink

Post #633779 6th Jun 2022 9:39am
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Definitely getting your sleeves rolled up then…. Hopefully you will find something a bit more conclusive when you look a bit deeper and it’s not too bad to resolve.

Thumbs Up 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #633781 6th Jun 2022 9:52am
dingg1

2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

Check availability of parts, iirc might be more chance of winning the euro millions than getting a hold of some items.

Good luck Thumbs Up

Post #633784 6th Jun 2022 10:13am
PeterRRVogue

United Kingdom 

Quote:
Check availability of parts, iirc might be more chance of winning the euro millions than getting a hold of some items.

Good luck Thumbs Up

I already have and at least for the obvious items, it didn't seem to be an issue, for this engine at least. But I wouldn't be surprised if I will stumble across a supply issue at some point. Obviously, until I take the engine apart and find out what needs fixing, I won't know what needs replacing (apart from the obvious items eg. gaskets, stretch bolts etc.).

One thing I haven't got to the bottom of yet is finding (ideally a UK-based company) that can check/test and possibly remanufacture my injectors. Any suggestions would be welcomed!

Post #633785 6th Jun 2022 10:31am
dingg1

2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

Would have thought most diesel injection service places would be able to handle that tbh, or are they specifically made to be as awkward as Censored , says me, waiting on delivery of a rear flexi brake pipe because there's not one available in the whole of Portugal Banging Head

Post #633787 6th Jun 2022 10:54am
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue

This website could be your best friend Smile

https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.com/p...and-rover/

It's an online parts catalogue that covers the L322 in great detail. I've spent hours on it whilst rebuilding mine.

David. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2007 Range Rover Supercharged in Java Black with Ivory Leather
2012 Range Rover 5.0 SC Autobiography in Indus Silver with Jet/Ivory Interior
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #633791 6th Jun 2022 11:19am
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

Thanks David - never knew that existed..... 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #633792 6th Jun 2022 11:28am
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

PeterRRVogue wrote:
Hi guys, sorry for not posting here for a while. Been busy with work and a bunch of house projects, while also thinking and researching my options re the RR. So I wanted to let you know that I have come to a conclusion (which I kind of knew right from the beginning, just hoped to be wrong) that this is going to be an engine-out job. I appreciate all the suggestions and comments that all of you guys offered and I took them all on board. The more I was thinking about it, the clearer it was becoming that I'm either gonna have to cut my losses and sell the car or I'm gonna have to spend a lot of money/time to get it fixed. Me being me, I decided to go down the engine-out path and recondition it myself (excl. the machining work of course) Smile It might turn out to be a big mistake, but the challenge kind of excites me and at least I'm gonna learn a lot in the process. Also, I thought that since there seems to be no comprehensive write up or video content (that I could find at least) on how to do a complete rebuild of the 4.4 TDv8, I might use this as an opportunity to pay back to the car community for all the knowledge I have benefited from over the years (on my other cars and bikes) and hopefully make a content that someone might find helpful in the future. I'm going to start with taking the engine out this upcoming weekend so I will keep you posted on my journey. I will try to video record the whole thing in detail so I can share it with you guys and provide some useful or comedic (depending on the extent of my failures) value in the process. Wish me luck Wink

this sounds a great idea. I just happened to get this YouTube suggested, on my feed... I don't know what they are talking about. (German?) but the pictures of the engine... from about 1/4 the way in, and also 3/4 way through.. are a bit sobering.

Post #633969 7th Jun 2022 8:29pm
PeterRRVogue

United Kingdom 

So I've made a start and removed the whole front end with the radiator pack. Ordered timing chain and trigger ring installation tool, heavy duty engine stand and borrowed my mates engine hoist. I'm still looking to find a set of engine lifting brackets as I'd like to avoid having to fabricate these myself if I can (any tips would be welcome). I'm aiming to have the engine out this weekend (with a bit of luck). I've been recording the whole thing so I will post a video on the comprehensive engine removal once done.

Post #634702 15th Jun 2022 2:45pm
PeterRRVogue

United Kingdom 

johnboyairey wrote:

this sounds a great idea. I just happened to get this YouTube suggested, on my feed... I don't know what they are talking about. (German?) but the pictures of the engine... from about 1/4 the way in, and also 3/4 way through.. are a bit sobering.

Thanks Johnboyairey,

the oil in those two engines from the video looked very similar to the state of mine so I'm hoping that my engine block and (mainly) crank will be still salvageable. It's possible (even likely) that they will be worn beyond maximum oversize. Eitherway, I guess I will find out soon!

PS: I don't speak german either but you can enable auto translate subtitles in that YouTube video which is better than guessing Smile

Ta

Post #634703 15th Jun 2022 2:54pm
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue

How are you getting on with your project, Peter?

David. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2007 Range Rover Supercharged in Java Black with Ivory Leather
2012 Range Rover 5.0 SC Autobiography in Indus Silver with Jet/Ivory Interior
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #636804 13th Jul 2022 10:09am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 10 of 12 <123 ... 9 101112>